Forums Latest Members

OK NEW THREAD...... What we Buy But your partner wont let us take it home!

1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2017

Hi Everyone....

In a previous post I show what I just bought on ebay a Brass Seahorse... other members commented @Larry S "the misses wont like this. ..." or something to that effect...

Well the BIG QUESTION what have you bought that YOU THINK your partner would not want in the home....

This is my Seahorse that will NOT be going home...

horse8.jpg

This will stay at the office with 4 clocks , Hi Fi gear and the such......
    The reason is , I brought this clock home while she was away for 10 days...

She noticed it in about 15 mins after walking into the Apt... ( jetlagged as she took the red eye ). If not for that It would have been toss out the window ... " like seeing Time fly "

She let me keep this one at the House. ( i bet by mistake due to lack of sleep ).. WWI military Chelsea Aircraft clock from Jan 1918. Dial is marked " AS SC , US ARMY " Which stands for Air Service Signal Corps US ARMY...... very cool... It also trench Art as its mounted in a Wooden Propeller hub surrounded by spent shells... The clock can is aluminum which at the time was more expensive then gold to produce.

It stands about 20 inches tall... so No Horse !

clock1.jpg clock2.jpg clock3.jpg clock4.jpg clock7.jpg clock8.jpg clock9.jpg clock11.jpg clock12.jpg

So What have you purchased that NEVER Made it home ? And if you did get an item in how did you do it ?

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

clock13.jpg
    Kreindog24, kyle L, Dre and 7 others like this.
  2. lillatroll Mar 12, 2017

Hookers :whistling:

Not really. If I thought I could not take something home that I bought, then I probably wouldn't buy it. The key to a happy marriage is to know your place in the pecking order and obey she who must be obeyed.

Edited Mar 12, 2017
    Jonatan and Jwit like this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 12, 2017

With all due respect @Bill Sohne seems pretty darn remarkable that huge "thing" got admission into your home....:rolleyes:

4. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2017

I am waiting for the dam to burst.... between that and if your in to vintage Hi Fi , google DQ-10 speakers.... I ahve a pair of them as well... the area bout 3 ft by 3 ft and sit on stands about 10 inches off the floor !.

But enough about me... anyone else have any war stories ?

Bill

pippy and Mad Dog like this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 12, 2017

It must be true love :p

6. donkii Mar 12, 2017

What can I say, to many watches and so little time, so she left ::facepalm2::::shy::

Buck2466 likes this.
  7. jurisevac@ Mar 12, 2017

Not enough color she says... DSC_0019.JPG

OMGRLX, Jwit, ahartfie and 5 others like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2017

Those purchasing the Hippocampus, i.e., Cavali, (US colloquial Seahorse) need to play up its true origins on the home front. Remember Omega stole the design in1958 from the gondola makers and supplies of Venice where it existed for centuries.
    Romance wins over watch geeky.

cruise-ready - Tim on two gondolas.jpg 3636780105_912f9ca1eb_b.jpg

Orseolo - siesta 1.jpg
    Finishing up with a shot of Dennis in his "Italian Years"

OMGRLX, Jwit, Kreindog24 and 9 others like this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 12, 2017

Smart way of "spinning" it and very cool too. Care to elaborate for those of us who don't know why and how Omega stole it from the gondolas, what it was supposed to mean etc?

Edited Mar 12, 2017
  10. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 12, 2017

I have been told that although there might be "no limit" on the number of woodblock prints one might collect, there is a definite limit on the number that can be displayed in one's home....

IMG_0199.JPG

Kunichika (1835-1900) - from "100 roles of Baiko", ca. 1893.

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 12, 2017

Fabulous, at the risk of incurring a ban this is much better than watches! Do you buy them in Japan?
    Depends how much wall space you have and the rest of the decoration but there could be quite a few of those displayed even in a small space..... how many do you have?
    Selling point: japanese woodblock prints were a huge influence on Van Gogh, Matisse and Gauguin!
    @Bill Sohne great thread indeed!

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 12, 2017

She hates when I bring stuff home from my trips. Even when it's a gift from colleagues. So first 4 are very fine Lacquer boxes /nesting dolls from multiple trips to Russia, stationary box from Kazakhstan, silk prayer rug from Turkey, next two from OZ, a chunk of the Berlin Wall someone gave me and Thailand. Just the tip of the iceberg. She tolerates the audio gear.... always says "no more watches" when I leave for EU. But @Bill Sohne I would never bring that monster home....
    IMG_4508.JPG IMG_4509.JPG IMG_4510.JPG IMG_4511.JPG IMG_4512.JPG IMG_4513.JPG IMG_4514.JPG IMG_4515.JPG IMG_4516.JPG IMG_4517.JPG

Jwit, flw, ahartfie and 3 others like this.
  13. aesguerra Mar 12, 2017

I too am lucky to have never found that breaking point. The closest was MAYBE when I wanted to start flying the warbird... so I made it a point to schedule many lil trips for US in it!

IMG_3805.JPG

Now, she can't get enough of it. :D

BrianMcKay, Jwit, Kreindog24 and 5 others like this.
  14. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 12, 2017

1910 Seth Thomas.... friggin huge and loud! didn't go over to well...
    2012 Piaggio MP3 500.... cost more than a used Ford Focus, really didn't go well.... took a lot of heat there.
    Bike in the TV room.... went over okay.... better than the dirt bike in the living room

thinking on it, I really don't know why she puts up with me!

But none of these caused the fireworks of my friend showing up at home with a vintage Lotus 7... no warning... ended in divorce... silly bugger.
    P1000717.JPG P1000555.JPG P1000360.JPG

Syrte, Jwit, Barking mad and 6 others like this.
  15. Rumar89 Mar 12, 2017

When I came home with 20+ propaganda posters from a recent trip to Havana I thought she was going to blow a gasket. These live under the bed in a portfolio. Apparently, it's not the context of the political message but that they are political messages that caused the ban.

image.jpg image.jpg

16. sxl2004 Mar 12, 2017

Some black pre-made speaker enclosures for my Diatone 610 speakers (OK they were visually dominating our little apartment.......Had to call the Audio Web Store and when they asked for the reason "Spouse does not approve", they answered "we get that a lot....".

Jwit, ahartfie, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2017

The how is simple. An employee of Omega was in Venice on holiday and observed the ubiquitous Cavalli. Omega needed a trademark image for its Seamaster line of watches (expanded to included Speedmasters) . The rest is history

ahartfie and Syrte like this.
  18. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 12, 2017

I collect mostly Japanese woodblock from the Edo and Meiji periods, purchased mostly from dealers and at auction.
    I have dozens of prints but only about 10% are framed and displayed. The main issue is not space, but more from a design perspective. As I am often reminded "this house is not a museum".

Larry S, Syrte and w154 like this.
  19. w154 Mar 12, 2017

Most of my unwelcome purchases can be found on the bookcase. I daren't talk about prices, but at this size it's not easy to sneak them in unnoticed.

And also a big fan of wood-block prints. My problem is that I feel I should buy originals, but then I can't really afford the ones I would like. Here's a small postcard-sized original from Hiroshige's 53 stations of the Tokaido.

image.jpg image.jpg
    Jwit, ahartfie, Joe K. and 3 others like this.
  20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 12, 2017

Love those woodblock prints-- although the point about a house not being a museum is also a fair point they are unbelievably beautiful and incredibly varied.

Larry S likes this.