Forums Latest Members
  1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 9, 2014

So, when I peruse the "what are you wearing today?" thread, I notice that many of you sly foxes are serious clothes horses. Lots of bog standard Charles Tyrwhitt, Vineyard Vines and the like but I also see lots of serious shirt cuffs complimenting your serious dress watches and dress chronos.

Do most of you men go so far as to match all your leathers (shoes, belts, wallets, suspenders and, of course, watch straps)?

Lately, I've fallen in love with Santoni shoes and I try to be careful about matching my shoe leather to watch strap leather. I know for some the thought is "of course, dummy!" but I'm always surprised when I see a random guy on the subway rocking a nice pair of black Alden's and then when he checks the time on his wrist watch all I can see is cordovan leather peaking out under his Banana Republic 2 piece.

BTW - any other Santoni fans here? A patient man can always find these for %40+ off if you're patient. IMHO, the single most comfortable show ever created...

image.jpg
    AuBuyer likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 9, 2014

I gave up on fine clothes the day our dog chewed the heel out of ONE of my Lobb lace-ups.

Now I wear Charles Trywt shirts to work and Ecco shoes for comfort, but I do match my black shoes with my Florentine leather belt (a gift).

Pants are branded company items (tax write-off) and when I'm not at work it's jeans and Ts unless I'm dining out or going to a game, then it's a collared shirt, neat chinos and loafers.

After a lifetime in uniform I like to please myself what I wear and at my age, I not a fashion pony.

I am going to France again so maybe some of those Paris fashionista outlets could tempt me ;)

citizenrich likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2014

Every time I read one of your posts I hear Paulie Walnuts' voice talking, I'm pretty sure he had a pair of those :)

pitpro and SpikiSpikester like this.
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 9, 2014

oh man , that is so not a compliment... Lulzzz . You probably wouldn't be surprised if I told you that that I know "Paulie Gaultieri" well enough that I have his phone number in my contacts. My wife (who is full blood Sicilian) grew up 4 or 5 houses away from the Sirico's. My bloodlines go back 15 + generations in NYC but I don't have a drop of Mediterranean blood in me.

I might be the most boring white guy in the world!!

One of these three people is me: Like I wrote: boring (recent pic):

image.jpg
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2014

Ha you mean you know Tony Sirico? I always heard he really is a lot like the character he plays and sort of made the role around himself

citizenrich likes this.
  6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 9, 2014

Yes, even when he made some money he still stayed in the old neighborhood - close enough.

he grew up in bensonhurst (close to Dyker Heights) and bought a "penthouse" condo (I think he bought 2 separate units and combined) in a new building in Bay Ridge, which is the next neighborhood over. He's a real life "tough guy". I think he was involved in the old number rackets before New York State took it over (and, gave players far worse odds). When i was a kid in the Bronx the mafia did the daily number in every neighborhood in the city. everyone played and it was like the paperboy coming to your house to collect and pay. Convenient and good service! They always collected on Friday nights.

Anyway, my wife's Uncle John was beat up as a kid by both Tony S. and Sammy the Bull Gravano lolzzz. My wife and I (and, another couple) ran into Sam @ a steakhouse in Pinnacle Peak, Arizona about 12/13 years ago. He recognized my wife right away (he's actually a pretty bright guy). We all sat together and he insisted picking up the check. He was so excited to be with people from the old neighborhood who had no interest in killing him. I remember that our friends (they're local AZ'ers) were in shock the entire meal - they barely spoke... hahahaha This was when he was still in witness protection before he got busted for running a big ecstasy ring with his son. he wasn't exactly hiding. Good times!

John R Smith likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Oct 9, 2014

Yes - shoes, belts, and watch straps all match every time I wear a dress shirt and slacks.

Allen Edmonds Maxfields, Coach belt, and the strap on my '61 Piaget:

IMG_2236-1.jpg

Cole Hahn Calhouns (replaced by Alden Tassle Loafers now), Trafalgar belt, and my old '60 Seamaster (replaced by the JLC 2285 now):

IMG_2232-1.jpg

I even match the metal colors as close as possible.

citizenrich likes this.
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 9, 2014

They're supposed to match????

citizenrich likes this.
  9. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Oct 9, 2014

Santoni = Nordstrom, love those shoes!!

citizenrich likes this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2014

So you were kind of a SNF kid.

I spent a lot of time at my dad's parent's house as a kid. 1246 New York Ave, Just down from Nostrand. St Jerome's Parish.
    It was real nice back then. Nobody back there anymore. Everyone moved out on the Island, we were pioneers.

11. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Oct 9, 2014

Yup, matchy-matchy here. At least shoes, belt and watch strap. And of course - never ever brown shoes after 1800 hours.

citizenrich likes this.
  12. yande Oct 9, 2014

:rolleyes: Yeah I had one of those... She ended up with the kids, and I thankfully ended up with the nuts, (and mine in tact also..) (FYI, I am a Master Nut Roaster!) We made beautiful kids though, I must say.. This is my daughter...
    http://voomusic.com.au/..
    It is Off Topic...

Sadly, as far as fashion goes, I'm an Australian that is self employed, lives in a county town, and shops for clothes in China every year.. I have the wife of my dreams, and I feel I have no one else to impress. But, I do admire your efforts, always, and if anything, a tad envious.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 9, 2014

That's funny! :D I have the identical Coach belt. Same color, too. I'm 99% sure I was wearing it at the last FLGTG, but you didn't notice. I'll wear it with jeans or chinos.

I generally do the same about matching, although every so often I'll get lazy if I have a watch already running and need to get out of the house early.

For dress shoes, I generally stick with Florsheim Imperials (or better), as I have a narrow foot and they can be ordered in a "B" width. Otherwise, I have to get the shoemaker to put all kinds of padding in one shoe and it never fits right.

Not a snob when it comes to watchbands. I still think Speidel makes a great value product in their higher lines. Your favorite Keleran looks very nice and will order from there soon. I've had good luck with Hirsch, used to get the Artisanal line dirt cheap from a seller in NYC, but he's been gone for a couple of years now.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

citizenrich likes this.
  14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2014

A sign of a sharp mind :D

citizenrich likes this.
  15. M.D. Oct 9, 2014

You have to match the shoes and belt, no question. I generally wear a stainless steel bracelet with the watches which goes well with all of my suits. That being said, I've been collecting info regarding places to look for straps in order to add some variety.

citizenrich likes this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 9, 2014

Wish I could agree. I get jealous when I see all the nicer shoes in a store.

Then I start trying stuff on and get disappointed when they fall off the back of my foot.
    gatorcpa

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2014

Well the alternative is to get fat :D

18. ulackfocus Oct 9, 2014

Size 8.5 EE - after trying several brands, I find Allen Edmonds to be my brand of choice. Some very high end brands are heavy with steel shanks in the sole (Alden), and while this makes them last a looooooong time, it also makes them heavy and less flexible. Some other very high end brands have such thin soles that they wear fast and can hurt the leather on the toe. AE seems to be the best combination of durability and comfort for me. I joke about those Maxfields - I've had a longer relationship with them (almost 10 years) than my wife (7.5 years). :p The guys at my shoe store get a kick out of that.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2014

I hear some animals are plagued with the same problem.
    IMG00766-20110109-0847.jpg

citizenrich likes this.
  20. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 9, 2014

hahaha...you Darlinboy, go so far as to match your watch to the weather (smart move!).

Darlinboy likes this.