Forums Latest Members

% of watch collectors who are sp3?

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 17, 2016

I'd say minumum 70% which means there's a high probability that I'm on the spectrum.

Also: people who wear a wristwatch on the wrong wrist drive me crazy.

2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 18, 2016

what is sp3?

and which is the wrong wrist?

cristos71 likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 18, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SP3

SP3 may refer to:

4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 18, 2016

My laughing teenage boy informed me this evening that sp3 is 4/8 chan lingo for Aspergers and Autism. Being "Sp3gy" is actually a compliment for these kids :). It didn't feel like a compliment.

He's convinced I'm autisic because of my watch hobby, errrrr, obsession.:thumbsup:

5. dialstatic Oct 18, 2016

I'd say that's more OCD than SP3.

Traveler and citizenrich like this.
  6. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Oct 18, 2016

Some prefer C3PO over R2D2...

Nitzbar, EatMan, citizenrich and 2 others like this.
  7. dialstatic Oct 18, 2016

At least C3PO can wear a wristwatch.

citizenrich and Deafboy like this.
  8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 18, 2016

I have known some posts / members that shout out aspie to me.

My eldest son has been diagnosed as asd (autism spectrum disorder) and some of the traits are stronger than others in him. Scared the crap out of me when we first had the diagnosis. But now I just see him as quirky, and hopefully the rest of the world does too. For anyone who is interested (knows someone who is asd) this is a fine place www.wrongplanet.net
    As for myself, I have never been tested but I can really see where my kid is coming from :whistling:

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 18, 2016

I don't think us watch people are like that.

By the way, it should be CDO (compulsive disorder with obsession), in alphabetical order!

10. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Oct 18, 2016

Lucky you don't work in the perfume industry or it might be compulsive disorder with obsession for men. Might be tricky to do your job.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 18, 2016

Well the kid has overcome severe ADHD to graduate from college and get a job in the car industry. He's a car guy so his obsession is now his job. My side of the family has a touch of ADHD/ OCD and I have to believe this explains my record colllection, my new watch obsession and my career path. So sign me up!

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 18, 2016

It is good to know that in the future he is willing to help pay for your care.:D

citizenrich likes this.
  13. Waltesefalcon Oct 18, 2016

I am a special education teacher and I have worked with quite a few kids with Autism and Asperger's over the years. Neither Asperger's nor Autism is all that common in the larger populace. A lot of people, myself included, exhibit some traits of Autism or Asperger's but not enough of them to be considered on the spectrum. When that happens those people are usually considered to be OCD or something similar. In the new DSM V Asperger's as a diagnosis has been done away with and it is now just considered a very mild form of Autism. Many people, including professionals, still use the term Asperger's, I think that is because there is a certain stigma attached to Autism that is often not attached to Asperger's. I have a friend who has Asperger's and he refuses to say that he has Autism; in fact many with Asperger's take a certain pride in it. I think that is because a multitude of famous people are suspected of having Asperger's including: Nikola Tesla, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Michelangelo, Issac Newton, Albert Einstein, etc. So you can see why some people would consider it a compliment.

14. ulackfocus Oct 18, 2016

My wife swears I'm bi-polar, but only for about an hour after I get home from work. After a glass of Port or two, I normalize.

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 18, 2016

Dr Asperger was a hero. Agree all these are on a spectrum and should never be perceived as negative. Special Education teachers are heros too. Salutations!

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 18, 2016

Nitzbar and citizenrich like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 18, 2016

Squirrel parkour...

AAAKK, citizenrich and Waltesefalcon like this.
  18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 18, 2016

My only (2) nieces have both been diagnosed w/ Pervasive Disability Disorder. I'm not certain of the precise technical terminology but one is mild and one is more severe but not completely disabling.

I'm told it's heritable but I'm also informed that it's rarer for girls and much rarer for (2) female siblings.

I'm glad your son is sorted out! You strike me as good guy and now a really good dad.

Edited Oct 18, 2016
  19. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 18, 2016

Oh, wow. People like you make the world a better place.

Yes, I think we all want to claim the savants of history as our own. Who wouldn't want to be compared to Ben Franklin or Michaelangelo?!

I think M. Zuckerberg and B. Gates have described themselves as having some sort of PDD.

20. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 18, 2016

How do you know it's on the wrong wrist unless you specifically inquire as to their handedness?

Waltesefalcon likes this.