Forums Latest Members

Odd looking bezel Seamaster 300M

1. watchstick_81 Dec 6, 2018

Last week I bought my first Seamaster 300M, reference 2531.80.00, which had been serviced by Omega in September 2017. It's running like clockwork! But after inspecting the watch I noticed something was off. Couldn't put my finger on it until I started comparing pictures. It turned out the raised dot on the bezel doesn't look anything like the original one. I did find two other offers with the same bezel, but most sales and official product pictures have the one pictured below. Does anyone know how this could be? It's not available in any other 300m model.

Product picture Omega website:
    300m_01.jpg

My 300M bezel: it's not recessed and touches the edges of the triangle.
    300m_02.jpg

Edited Dec 6, 2018
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 6, 2018

Do you have proof of an Omega service in 2017?

My feeling is it's an aftermarket (fake) insert.

3. Modernism Dec 6, 2018

Hate to say it but all the fakes had the raised 'pearl', so yeh, what he said....
    Be good if you show us the rest of the watch, but the bezel is not original

4. Thegreatroberto Dec 6, 2018

How does the bezel feel. Notchy and pretty rough? If so, it could be genuine!
    Bezel on my ( genuine) 2531.80 never has that quality feel to it.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 6, 2018

Read Al's post, he clearly says "insert", the bezel itself is likely original and genuine.

Also note how the bars bleed over the edge on OPs bezel.

300m_02.jpg

6. Thegreatroberto Dec 6, 2018

Missed the bit about the insert....Do Omega sell just the inserts? When I had mine serviced by them 3 years ago I had to buy the whole bezel (and insert). But, that cost me £104 and I sold the old one on eBay for about £85. Although I'd expect the bezel is a lot more now.

7. Thrasher36 Dec 6, 2018

[​IMG]

100% gen one owner (me) since 1997.

WYO_Watch and watchstick_81 like this.
  8. ConElPueblo Dec 6, 2018

Most certainly a fake insert.

Look at how the condition of the insert and the actual bezel contrasts; someone probably thought it would freshen up the look to have a new insert fitted. They are only available as bezel + insert from Omega.

9. watchstick_81 Dec 6, 2018

Well the seller (jeweller) mentioned it was serviced by Omega and it does have the following paper work, which some experts say is all you get from Omega nowadays.

IMG_4213.JPG IMG_4215.JPG IMG_4219.JPG
  10. watchstick_81 Dec 6, 2018

Here's a wrist shot.

IMG_4189.JPG
  11. watchstick_81 Dec 6, 2018

12. Huus Dec 7, 2018

I very much doubt that is Omega Service Centre paperwork. Doesn't look remotely like it.
    Most likely serviced by an independent watchmaker who cannot get genuine parts since Omega restricted supply and therefore fitted a aftermarket bezel insert. The Chrono24 listing had a recent service done also and has an aftermarket insert for likely the same reason.

watchstick_81 likes this.
  13. watchstick_81 Dec 7, 2018

Another member sent me a private message to warm me about the bezel. The print is not correct either. The jeweller didn’t know about this either and I have returned the watch for a full refund. Thanks guys!

Wetworks likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 7, 2018

I would agree, and my guess would be that if you had opened that watch, it may have an improper rotor inside. The parts bag includes a complete rotor, and that makes no sense since the bearing in this rotor is easily replaced. however that bearing is specific to Omega, so unless the person who did the work had access to a proper bearing (a 2892 bearing will not work) they may have replaced the entire rotor with one from a 2892.

Omega clearly gives you more paperwork than just what was shown there also...

15. watchstick_81 Dec 7, 2018

Well I’ve contacted a certified Omega service watch technician and he mentiones that it’s not incommon to receive these kind of papers from Omega. I find that story to be strange as with other brands you get an official letter. Anyhow, it’s a bit of an oddball and I’m glad I got a refund.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 7, 2018

Sure, getting what you have is common. But it's uncommon to get JUST what you have. The person who sent the watch for service would surely have received a written out invoice showing the model of watch serviced, the serial number, and a full scope of work completed, showing the pricing for the basic service and all optional work.

What you have shown above is actually no proof at all that the watch was serviced by Omega, or that it was serviced in the time frame that was claimed.

I could use the same testing equipment to run those tests on any random watch someone brings into my shop right now, and someone could give that to a potential buyer as proof of service, even though I didn't service the watch.