Forums Latest Members

Odd events that come up purchasing watches

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 8, 2017

Here is a interesting event about a clock collector and antique dealer.
    One of my friends is into clocks. One weekend I ran into him at a local Flea Market. I always enjoyed meeting him at the market. He would turn me on to watches and I would point out clocks. It was a very big Flea market and one had to be very fast to find the real good finds. I would go one way he would go the other. We would meet up along the way and compare notes.

One weekend my friend and I ran into a few guys from the inner city that had a few very nice antique items and a few antique clocks. My friend purchased the lot of clocks for a few thousand dollars and that was pennies on the dollar for these clocks.

After I helped him load up his clocks. We went back though the flea market. We ran into the sellers of the clocks and they mentioned some of the clocks they had at home. My friend was bedazzled with the story about the clocks. Again pennies on the dollar for these clocks.

The sellers made an appointment with my friend to meet them in a very bad neighborhood in the hood. Probably the worst part of Detroit. I was listening to the conversation. My friend was going to meet these guys through the week on a week day.

As listened to the meet arrangement it was on a very bad street, a two story flat type home the top floor entrance was around to the back of the house. After he set the meet I asked him are you NUTS or STUPID Do not go meet these guys. Tell them to bring the clocks to the flea market next week.

Since the clocks were priced at pennies on the dollar my friend went to meet the sellers and had many thousand dollars with him. My best guess is over ten thousand. You guessed it the guy was mugged. The next week I seen my friend at the Flea market looking for those sellers.
    I had to laugh at him for being so STUPID. I really didn't laugh but I had a big grin on my face when I called him STUPID. But greed is greed and a very powerful motive to get involed in a sitsuation like that. He never shared the story with anyone else and asked me to keep it under my hat. I agreed and never told anyone.I just shared the story with a few friends and kept his name out of it.

Edited Jan 8, 2017
  2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 8, 2017

I recently walked away from a deal because I was fairly certain the watch was stolen ... the guy was just not the person to have that kind of watch ...

3. lillatroll Jan 8, 2017

I agree that you should follow your gut instinct, but perhaps the seller is worried that you are some kind of thief who is planning to rip him off and/or beat the crap out of him and take his watch. He knows as little about you as you do of him. Perhaps if you sent him an email or text explaining your concerns, why you need a table to sit at to look the watch and explain that this is a big transaction for both of you then you might feel more comfortable. If I was carrying a watch worth a shed load of cash and someone walked upto me followed by two big dudes, I too might be inclined to want to run away, I could not do that from a Starbucks.

4. meganfox17 Jan 8, 2017

Who's your little friend ?
    Hah[emoji15] you too , Al ? I did a business deal there once but brought along 2 GFs and we all dress alike [emoji136] .On the way back to your car ,do you always look around & behind , check & see who's following you ?
    Dont tell me you brought your little brother to Starbucks too...[emoji85] ?

Miss_Bourginskay and Bumper like this.
  5. rightrower Jan 8, 2017

Good lesson shared.

Sent from Note 4 using tapatalk

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 8, 2017

I think his name's Walther.

Bumper and meganfox17 like this.
  7. Willem023 Jan 8, 2017

But be careful there too: never know who you might run into...
    :D

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 9, 2017

Was it @ulackfocus who bought a watch on a freeway rest stop at 11pm..........

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 9, 2017

I bought my Gemini 4 from a guy in a maternity ward waiting room while his wife was giving birth. The guy was reminiscing about his old Ducati tricolor, his old Audi RS4, and has this look of sadness to be selling his favourite watch to me meanwhile he had it all wrapped up in a brown paper bag (box and papers) sitting in my lap with me fiddling with the contents, while he counted off several thousand dollars in cash.

The security guard was sort of passing by over and over pretending not to be snooping and we had to tell her no he's not buying cocaine while his wife is in the delivery room he's selling a watch.

Vitezi likes this.
  10. Uniqez Jan 9, 2017

@meganfox17 my little friend's name Pietro Beretta.
    Nooooo, I would never bring it to places like Starbucks.
    Actually, last transaction in Starbucks was about my Longines Avigation.Set it up during the lunch time 10 minutes later, I had the watch, seller had the money. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mad Dog and meganfox17 like this.
  11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 9, 2017

...because that's completely normal.

Vitezi likes this.
  12. gee_cee Jan 9, 2017

??????
    Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 12.46.09.png

13. Uniqez Jan 9, 2017

I would love to comment on this one, but we have ladies here so I will pass on.[emoji48]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk