Forums Latest Members

Odd events that come up purchasing watches

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 8, 2017

I have been chasing a vintage speedy ref 2998-3. The seller works with a friend of mine. The guy sent me pictures of the watch we agreed on a price. However we can not agree on a meeting place. I told the guy we can meet in a public place even a fast food joint of my choice. The goof has been jerking me around for a little over a week. Always picking an obscure place to meet.

Today his meeting place of choice was a drug store. I texted the guy back and mentioned a sandwich shop was just across the street from his selection for a meet. He kept on insisting the drug store. I told the guy the fast food place a Tim Horton's inside or no meet. Not sure what the guys (goofs) deal is with the meet. I am not going to do a deal in a parking lot or inside a drug store.

Trust me I would not be alone at a meet and I would be well protected. Something was very strange with the guy so I told him to forget about the meet and sale. I have made watch purchases in public places before but this guy gave me a very bad vibe. Not worth the hassle or trouble dealing with a goof.

The way I look at it you can't lose something you do not have. However I would have liked to own that Speedmaster.
    Anyone ever had a experience like this one?

Edited Jan 8, 2017
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 8, 2017

I'm wondering what's wrong with a drug store? It's a public place no? But you're right to follow your instincts...if it doesn't feel right or you have a bad vibe, then don't do it.

3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 8, 2017

In drug store no real good place to inspect the watch. For the amount of money involved. At the very least I would have removed the case back to inspect the watch, the seller provided no picture of the movement. No way of doing that standing around in a drug store.

4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 8, 2017

Understand :thumbsup:

5. Uniqez Jan 8, 2017

That's the case when you need to take your little friend with you.)
    It is a good amount of cash you are going to carry around, never pick unsecured place. If seller could not come up with the place that satisfied both of you, just let it go. Remember, that your life is priceless and for some crackheads it isn't the deal.
    I would go to the places that not really places I want to be, once in awhile but for cheaper transactions and I'm carrying my 9mm with me, just in case.
    Stay safe my friend and wait until the better opportunity comes along.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

watchknut, Rodmar and voere like this.
  6. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 8, 2017

My favourite places: a private nook in a Starbucks or so... Private enough to do what you need to do, but public enough to stay out of problems...

Also I do mostly "bank transfer" today, so I don't walk around with 1k in my pocket...

voere likes this.
  7. Davidt Jan 8, 2017

The few times I've done this we met in a bank. Standard high street branch.

Walked in, explained I was looking to buy a watch from this chap and transfer funds in the branch. Each time I've either been given a room or table and chairs to sit down and inspect prior to transferring funds.

Lukeeesteve, Taddyangle, Jwit and 4 others like this.
  8. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 8, 2017

This would have been with me. Still not worth the hassle Along with two friends that are pretty big guys and armed. Still not worth the hassle.

Edited Jan 8, 2017
    Rodmar and Uniqez like this.
  9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 8, 2017

Hooters or Dunkin Doughnuts seem like nice places for a meet ;)

Mad Dog, Jwit, ahartfie and 4 others like this.
  10. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 8, 2017

I purchased this one inside Burger King we a sat at a table. I opened the watch everything was good and made the deal. The seller today just gave me a very bad vibe. I went with my gut and passed on the meet and deal.

011.jpg
    JimInOz, Tubber and Uniqez like this.
  11. Uniqez Jan 8, 2017

Starbucks is one of my favorite places too.

voere likes this.
  12. Uniqez Jan 8, 2017

I'm with you on that one. You don't want to be on the breaking news with the headlines like: person's buying watch transaction turned to a mass shooting or something like that.

voere likes this.
  13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 8, 2017

Dunkin would be fine. Hooters could have made it difficult to focus on the watch. Plenty of distractions to look at in Hooters. My attention span would have been limited. One Hooters near my home has a few great looking women.

Alpha and Mad Dog like this.
  14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 8, 2017

I like meeting at a bank for large transactions.

For smaller ones, Starbucks are fine.

In the end, trust your gut. For a watch of that caliber, I would meet him in a drug store whilst donning paisely assless chaps if he so desired.

Mad Dog, Jwit, voere and 3 others like this.
  15. Davidt Jan 8, 2017

Aye. I'm only really concerned about meeting in a bank if we're talking multiples of 1000's.

A drug store is a bloody odd place to insist upon meeting though.

16. Vitezi Jan 8, 2017

Hm. I've never seen them in paisley. Only in black or brown leather, or apparently in "cow spots."
    [​IMG]

Mad Dog and Jwit like this.
  17. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 8, 2017

A little background on the seller of the watch. A friend called me last week about the watch that was posted on a bulletin board where he works. I asked my friend about the seller my friend told me other than seeing the seller at work he does not know him.

After the seller sending me a few pictures of the watch along with a few texts. We agreed on the price depending upon the condition of the watch. The seller jerked me around for a little over week. Always wanted to meet in parking lots or stores.
    That was a no go for me. If i metioned a location he changed it.

The meet for today was at a drug store. I texted the guy back and mentioned a Tim Horton's was just across the street from the drug store. And I would meet him inside Tim Horton's. He was a no go with that. A couple texts back and forth. He kept insisting on the drug store.
    I texted him back and metioned inside Tin Horton's or no deal. He did not agree and still wanted the drug store.

So out of curiosty I Googled the location on Google earth to view the surrondings. All the places the guy wanted to meet at had multiple exits with many quick escape routes. All very handy locations for a crook, stick up artist or mugger..

Hey I liked the watch but not the locations. Not worth getting involved in getting mugged or who knows what the guy had in mind. I went with my gut and passed on the deal.

Mad Dog and Uniqez like this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2017

[​IMG]

:whistling: :thumbsup:

As more consumers choose to do their shopping online and use Internet sites to sell personal items, local police departments noticed a trend of criminals capitalizing on the vulnerabilities of doing business with a stranger.To combat that issue, the Arlington Police Department has created a Safe Exchange program where people can conduct face-to-face meetings for the sale or trade of items in the parking lot of the Ott Cribbs Public Safety Building (620 W. Division Street in Arlington).Signage has been placed at the Ott Cribbs Public Safety Building, designating the parking lot as a Safe Exchange Zone. The items most commonly targeted by thieves are popular tennis shoes and electronics, such as cell phones, laptops and tablets.“People with the bad intentions will think twice about meeting you and making a transaction at a police station,” said Arlington Police Robbery Sergeant Jason Rash. “For the safety of our residents and a deterrent to that criminal element, people are encouraged to take advantage of our Safe Exchange location when selling or buying items online.”Even if sellers/buyers choose not to use the Safe Exchange location, there are steps that can be taken to be safe.
    • If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    • Conduct research on both the product you are buying and the person selling to/buying from.
    • Never list your home address, phone number, or anything else that could be used to identify you.
    • Be wary of individuals who solicit your business without your permission.
    • There is safety in numbers. Always take someone with you to conduct a transaction.
    • Monitor your children’s internet activity, don’t be afraid to be nosy!
    • Never meet in out of the way locations.
    • Conduct business in a public area with people nearby and never inside of a vehicle.
    • Don’t allow the other party to change the location once you arrive.

19. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 8, 2017

Meet him at work...track him down.

I have met people at some shady places before...and met some shady people.

In my old age I am becoming more and more cautious. In the end, your gut tells you what is right.

Mad Dog likes this.
  20. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 8, 2017

In my area some police depts. have these safe zones however they are in the parking lot of the police station with cameras. Still not the
    greatest place to meet I would rather go inside the police station.