Forums Latest Members

October 5th 2020 - Snoopy Celebration

1. hb8745 Sep 26, 2020

Haha very true, there are a few programs that offer decently better rates but most are around 0. With the aggregated notional in short-term rates, Omega would likely make around $5 per deposit.

2. texasmade Sep 26, 2020

Instagram and their website.

3. hb8745 Sep 26, 2020

Has anyone made a deposit at an AD yet or is it currently only at OBs?

4. YY77 Sep 26, 2020

My 250 deposit at the AD in NL has been sitting since 05-19 , from the A11 which I got somewhere else earlier than they got to me, so in 08-19 I asked them to leave it for a possible A13.

hb8745 likes this.
  5. pw92676 Sep 26, 2020

I put a deposit at boutique. No prior history there.

I asked my preferred AD if they are accepting deposits. I think I am a preferred customer/VIP. I was told they “will try to get me one.”

I am happy giving my business to the first one who can deliver and politely tell the other one that I no longer am searching. That said I really would prefer to use the Boutique here; would make it a bit more special for me. My AD will stay afloat without my one purchase and they won’t look down on me one bit for eschewing them.

hb8745 likes this.
  6. Japanred Sep 26, 2020

I know exactly where I am on the list and I’m in the UK. I offered to pay a deposit but they declined...

I’ve got buying history with them though.

7. hb8745 Sep 26, 2020

I think you should be fine getting an allocation then

Japanred likes this.
  8. Evitzee Sep 26, 2020

I can never understand why people get all twisted around by the deposit issue. No one is forced to fork over any money if they don't want to. In markets where no deposit is accepted the power of who gets a watch and who doesn't rests in the hands of the retailer, they determine who will get a watch and who doesn't, the list they keep is not worth the paper it's printed on. It's non-binding, it's an illusion. It may be do to some legal issues but the main reason they don't take deposits is they want to control the distribution, not the customer. So if a better customer suddenly asks for a watch he will get it even though he isn't on the magical list and the guy on the list loses out. In the US a deposit system has been used and it works well, and it puts the power into the customer's hands. He/she has committed to the piece and put down money, the retailer really doesn't want to say 'sorry, you don't get a watch, here is your money back'. In my view that is a more modern way of doing business, the power rests with the customer. That's why the internet sales work well, the power rests with the customer. Some of the older, staider markets just don't want to give up the old system where the retailer deems somebody worthy. For me a deposit system works well and is a win/win. Just my opinion.

neoguendia, phooi and Dedlock like this.
  9. texasmade Sep 26, 2020

Also, the retailer doesn’t have a million tire kickers and potential people to call as a deposit signals real interest while thé customer has a much better chance of getting the watch.

phooi likes this.
  10. hb8745 Sep 26, 2020

Totally agreed. Much more of a transparent system with a deposit. Not exactly to the point of specific performance, but at least they should be compelled to actually go in order of the deposit list instead of arbitrarily allocation watches to preferred custys

phooi likes this.
  11. pdxleaf ... Sep 26, 2020

All true about putting down a deposit. It's a personal choice and other people don't or shouldn't care if someone else puts down a deposit.

In the collective open discussion, I will question the reason for a deposit, i.e. what does the depositor expect?

What you are getting for the deposit is a place on a list at one dealer. If the watch is LE and similar to the last Snoopy, most watches went to Asia and Europe. Then the remaining 200 or so went to the USA. There are maybe 230 OB in the US so not every OB got one and no AD got one.

So if you had a deposit at an AD you had a deposit on a promise of a watch that never appeared. Even if you were number two at an OB, nada.

If the watch is production limited, you are still limited to when they get one, which could be years, if ever. In that case, being on a list gets you closer. But still, it could be years.

No problem with deposits. It seems a little like a false comfort. Why should I or anyone care if it gives someone comfort? We shouldn't, except that we are all friends here and sometimes friends feel like they need to say something. But it's often a good idea to keep your mouth shut, which I am still learning.

I hope everyone who wants one gets one!

12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 26, 2020

Whatever the design, with only 10 days to go, I wonder if astronaut Thomas Stafford will be involved to recreate this NASA Snoopy Award scene
    :thumbsdown:

1970_SnoopyStafford.jpg
  13. midimanwatch Sep 26, 2020

The exact same 2015 model in a black ceramic case would do me.

rob09 and Pun like this.
  14. Martin_J_N Sep 26, 2020

But is Omega asking for a deposit, or is the AD requesting the deposit up front to ensure that the customer is serious about buying?

Retail trading practices are different all over the world, I have no idea if the UK AD's buy from Swatch or Rolex or IWC or any of the others in advance of the stock arriving or simply pay for what they sell, what is the practice for AD's in the USA, do they have to pay brands upfront or when goods are sold.

I certainly don't believe that any of the watch brands require AD's to pay advances on watches before they are produced. I can accept that if you want a £30,000+ PM watch it may be made to special order and therefore a deposit is paid at the time of placing an order with the AD.

If someone has the time and inclination to explain how the various set-ups work I would welcome the explanation.

15. hb8745 Sep 26, 2020

Hopefully the depositor would get an allocation, and a fair estimate of delivery timeline. The actual watch, along with subscription/demand would determine how long of an acceptable timeframe for delivery would be.

I'm not exactly clear on how boutique allocation works. I heard your information goes to a corporate master list of depositors and that's where it sort of becomes a black box. I can totally see some shuffling being done in regards with who gets the watch sooner than others, but I think if you are on that list you will be fine getting one.

16. Sask1Omega Sep 26, 2020

Has it been confirmed for sure it’s a limited production? and not a limited edition. I am thinking of getting a NOS Speedy Tuesday 1 instead.

17. Martin_J_N Sep 26, 2020

It's all confirmed, Omega will announce everything on 5th Oct, until then we guess and speculate to while away time until the announcement is made.

speedypants and YY77 like this.
  18. Nyrmala Sep 26, 2020

No one knows for sure.
    People are getting different answers around the world

19. hb8745 Sep 26, 2020

I mean anything's possible until the official announcement, but many people have been told it's going to be limited production. Its a cop out imo and they are just using it as free optionality to keep pumping them out as long as the demand/hype is there. Can't decide on the exact number to balance out the s/d, so they make it open ended. Don't want to leave money on the table but also don't want to commit to a large undersubscribed LE.

20. hb8745 Sep 26, 2020

Maybe both are correct? LP on the steel and LE on the precious metal version

rohnin likes this.