Forums Latest Members

October 5th 2020 - Snoopy Celebration

1. Feifei0416 Oct 22, 2020

We should let him design the next snoopy watch

E-wotch likes this.
  2. Evitzee Oct 22, 2020

The deposit situation has been settled.

Deposits = bad, Putting your name on a nebulous list = good.

Pun likes this.
  3. Fickle Oct 22, 2020

I have been told by an OB in Aus that they want a 20% deposit upfront but will guarantee the watch and will likely arrive second half of 2021.
    They did mention limited production too.

KingKitega and softwareurchin like this.
  4. hb8745 Oct 23, 2020

I agree that PC+2 wasn't a technically risky maneuver, but I thought it was somewhat critical to survival. Yes it was used to push splashdown to s. pacific with more recovery options, but I thought they were running out of consumables on the free return path and DPS 2 would've shortened the time to give them a more acceptable margin before resources ran out.

Yes an overburn on MCC 5 would've been bad. Is that why they timed engine off 1 second prior to end of burn? Better to undershoot and steepen later if necessary with MCC6/7? Apparently the AGS had a delta-v guidance system but they manually controlled the burn because they were worried about low temps possibly affecting the accelerometer performance.

Interesting, didn't know about the radioactive burying. I thought MCC 7 was needed in order to correct for the drift post MCC 5 that was caused by the RCS jets and propulsive venting and re-steepen the angle for EI.

Pretty amazing achievement all around - still fascinated on how they managed to pull it off. Problem solving at its finest.

Lurk41 likes this.
  5. hb8745 Oct 23, 2020

If it were up to me i would just reissue the snoopy 2 or a very minor varian. Perfection.

Really wanted to like the watch. On the one hand I do commend their efforts in terms of innovation and out of the box thinking, but there's just too much going on. Besides the 3861, the 50th is marginally worse in every possible aspect compared with the 45th (to me personally). I can see a lot of people loving this watch, so to each their own.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 23, 2020

Or you could just pony up and buy a Snoopy 2. ;)

7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 23, 2020

I thought I'd just logged into Mastermind by mistake. Couldn't they have timed the 14 seconds on any old watch with a hacking function BTW?

STANDY likes this.
  8. Evitzee Oct 23, 2020

What? And rob Omega of their 14 seconds of marketing fame over 50 years? Are you heartless man?

Edited Oct 23, 2020
    Pun likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 23, 2020

or
    The good old
    one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand ;)

E-wotch and Omega-Q like this.
  10. Omega-Q Oct 23, 2020

...or the one Mississippi, two Mississippi...that's what we did! haha :) I miss those hide and seek days....

11. KingKitega Oct 23, 2020

I have an estimated delivery from my OB.. March 18th. No doubt it will be delayed for me.

SS OMGEA SNOOPY ANNIV MOON WW
    Item code: M123377
    Estimated Collection Date: 18 March 2021
    Qty 1

hb8745 and Martin_J_N like this.
  12. Martin_J_N Oct 23, 2020

Ooh, exciting, thats only 6 months to wait, what part of the world are you based?

13. Martin_J_N Oct 23, 2020

Oh you mean one, two, miss a few, ninety nine, one hundred, coming!! :D

Omega-Q likes this.
  14. KingKitega Oct 23, 2020

I'm in the UK. Had to pay a 20% deposit but told I will definitely get the watch. Only concern I have is that it's in a covid lockdown area so hope the boutique doesn't go under.

Overall I'm very excited by this watch. Omega is a strange brand for me in that it never really excited me, but I was close many times to getting a moonwatch. I considered a new one, vintage one, Tintin, ST1.. but this one made me finally to pull the trigger!

Martin_J_N likes this.
  15. ex-rolex Oct 23, 2020

Think, its great one...

16. Martin_J_N Oct 23, 2020

Good luck, lets hope the watch comes through on time.

17. hb8745 Oct 23, 2020

Lol any sellers here? I'm a buyer but not at 40k...

18. Lurk41 Oct 23, 2020

It was said by Jerry Bostick ;) He also answered that he will modify a bit the splashdown location but that the crew safety will come first

Regarding the PC+2 manoeuvre; they already knew at the time they did it that they will have enough consumables even with a free-return path.
    But when they started to plan it, they did not yet know (I suppose that is why they planned it). They draw 2 other plans that would have shortened the flight by around 36h (33 and 36 if I remember well). The more risky one was for a splashdown in the Atlantic and it was the one shortening the most the mission, the other one was for a splashdown in the Pacific and was nearly as risky.
    When they realized they could do it with free-return path, they discarded the 2 risky plans and kept the last one, as it has no drawback.

hb8745 likes this.
  19. hb8745 Oct 24, 2020

Yes without the DPS2 burn they would've had around 4 hours of consumables left, so it bought them an extra 9 hours of cushion. I'm not sure how much that is in terms of margin of error.

The atlantic option would've shaved off a further 10 hours, but like 1 of the other pacific options, I believe it was avoided because it burned too much propellant.

20. NewbieWatchGal Oct 24, 2020

May I ask how and where you got this information from? My OB hasn't revealed when I'll get mine and said HQ will do allocations and send watches as they're made so no ETA, my $5k deposit's been in since early september.