Forums Latest Members
  1. M'Bob Mar 2, 2017

I think the "beater" holds a very important place in the hearts and minds of serious watch collectors. There were some great examples posted recently that brought this to mind.

First, what is a beater? To me, it's a watch of high quality, that has had a rough life...but here's the important point: if you add another scratch or ding, you don't have a coronary. So, to qualify, the beater, by definition, has to already have multiple blemishes. Two or three dings does not qualify. It has to have so many, that when you put another scar on it, you can't even tell.

Could a cheap watch be a beater? No. If a watch starts out cheap, it is a cheap watch. If you beat that up, we call it a piece of shit.

Now, why do we adore our beaters? Simple: we get some of the joys of owning a kick-ass watch, without the worries. Sometimes, this can be even more fun than trotting out our pristine examples, with that little voice in the back of our minds telling us to watch out for the banisters and door jams.

What do you think - into the beater scene, or not your cup of tea?

mikechi22, patk35 and Mad Dog like this.
  2. aesguerra Mar 2, 2017

Well, by your definition of what a "beater" is, and since my Seiko isn't a Grand Seiko, I'm guessing it's currently not my cup of tea. ;)

Previously, I'd say it was, but only because my last Speedmaster (3366.51) was purchased used and hate a few flaws that I didn't mind adding to with daily wear.

But, since my current Speedy is bound to get more flaws as time goes on, as ol Arnold said many times, "I'll be back." :)

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 2, 2017

I think the many people that use Seiko divers, or other Seikos as beaters might argue your definition.

4. terpits Mar 2, 2017

"Cheap" is very subjective. But I don't baby my watches. They're all beaters and I love them.

5. adi4 Mar 2, 2017

And to someone out there in the world, all your watches are "pieces of shit" according to your definition... I agree that it's completely subjective and you could probably have a much better conversation about beaters without throwing that in there. No need to pass judgement on what others choose to spend on their watches and how much/little they baby them.

the.watchdoc and Egatdagi like this.
  6. WatchVaultNYC Mar 2, 2017

Beaters are like your favorite pair of jeans. You look great and don't have to worry about soiling them.

mikechi22, blufinz52, Mad Dog and 7 others like this.
  7. M'Bob Mar 2, 2017

First, had this been the Casio forum, rather than the Omega forum, this post would have never happened. There is a certain price point implied here. That's just a reality.

Second, how did I "pass judgement on what others choose to spend on their watches..."? I said that cheap watches, that get beat up, are pieces of shit. Including my cheap watches. Buy what you like, amigo. And do what you want with them.

mikechi22 and Gwade like this.
  8. aesguerra Mar 2, 2017

Well, my "flight watch" is my official beater. Five years old, it's been all over the west side of the country, being smacked against various parts of planes, had oil spilled on it, and endured more fuel baths than I can remember. As long as it gets the petrol washed off and has access to light, it keeps going.
    IMG_3245.JPG
    On the level that it is, that's my current cup of tea. :cool:

nonuffinkbloke and tapaptpat like this.
  9. M'Bob Mar 2, 2017

For those thin-skinned, who have taken offense to a completely subjective concept, let me give you a concrete example of what constitutes a "cheap watch": $9.99 USD. if you remain insulted, I cannot help further.

image.jpeg

Larry S likes this.
  10. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 2, 2017

My beater is a MegaQuartz that was the first watch I bought on OF. It's a big chunk of metal that is already battle-scarred. What's another scratch? Ironically it was probably the most expensive of my watches when new.

IMG_3677.JPG

mikechi22, pdw1, Larry S and 6 others like this.
  11. terpits Mar 2, 2017

One of my beaters. Let's see if this is as rugged as how the Explorer is reputed to be.

IMG_4738.JPG

12. akshayluc420 Mar 2, 2017

Whilst I've lived here in Dubai for a good number of years, I've been raised in India where anything more than a Tissot is considered a luxury item (we have years of a closed economy before the 90's and plenty of other factors to thank for that).

This Citizen Titanium that I bought about a decade ago turned quite few heads (and garnered even more head-shaking in disbelief) was the most I ever spent on ANYTHING. Today, it's my trusty, crusty beater; and still turns heads! :D

1488519394681-1786330548.jpg

Duracuir1, Jwit, Paedipod and 4 others like this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 3, 2017

That's a solidly cool watch.

14. adi4 Mar 3, 2017

No worries hombre, I didn't take offense and I do buy what I like. I just thought that statement a little unnecessary and out of touch with the rest of your post. Mostly I was disagreeing that cheap watches, whatever your definition, cannot be beaters. Opinions vary, and variety is the spice of life.

15. MaiLollo Mar 3, 2017

Dan Henry 1963 if it's a matter of light sports/wanting a non expensive piece on, if it has to go into water & just live as an everyday holiday watch, Tudor BB Red it is !

Darlinboy likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 3, 2017

As a person living and working in the Northern Territory's tropical climate

Five watches below are beaters in my book.
    Middle two were bought brand new.

Extreme beaters
    image.jpeg

Wear to work everyday / holiday beaters
    image.jpeg

Finally the favourite of all beaters ( the watch I would wear if I was going away 4x4ing, camping and fishing remotely for a few weeks )

extreme and everyday / holiday / Under water beater
    image.jpeg

pdw1, Mad Dog, Jwit and 4 others like this.
  17. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 3, 2017

Honestly for me, a "beater" watch doesn't really get much hard duty. I consider mine the SubC... on the beach here, also with me for work around the house & yard, hiking/camping, fishing trips, and accompanies me on most extended travel. It was the first (and only) mechanical watch I've ever bought new - picked it up on vacation in St. Thomas at Mrs. Darlinboy's urging. Just had its first service a few months ago and ready for some diving on spring break in a few weeks. I wear it without worry, love every ding and dent (they're all mine), and if the bezel ever gets banged/cracked or goes missing, it's easy to replace. I have many much less expensive watches that I wouldn't even think of using in the same manner. So, meets my definition of beater.

IMG_6063.JPG

18. neilfrancis Mar 3, 2017

IMG_5251.JPG
    For 12 years the only watch I wore. Still reach for it a lot. Used, abused, bumped, scratched, loved.

pdw1, AveConscientia and Jwit like this.
  19. jimmyd13 Mar 3, 2017

This is my daily wearer ... I think it has all the ingredients to be a true "beater" but I love it and do (usually) take a little care with it.

IMG_20170207_0923470.jpg

But something else is fast becoming my daily go-to and this might be too shiny to be a beater .... IMG_20170222_1103063.jpg

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 3, 2017

Disagree with this completely. A beater can be a cheap or expensive watch in my books. It's all about how the watch is treated, rather than it's value. I also disagree that it has to start out being beaten up - if I buy a Seiko Monster new as a beater watch, it's still a beater when it has no marks on it at all. Same is true if I buy a new Sub-C or some other more expensive watch and use it as a beater.

Calling people who disagree with you "thinned skinned" is a bit much...