Forums Latest Members

NYT Article about women and the desire in watches

1. CameronD Mar 10, 2021

2. Observer I know nothing! Mar 10, 2021

Nobody with wrists small enough to sport bargain priced 33mm vintage wristwatches will get any sympathy from me.

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 10, 2021

They’re not bargain priced at all — be it only because many men like them too. :mad:

PS - are you saying the exact same thing that guy was saying in the article,
    Ie that men cannot buy a watch that would also be suitable for a woman?

Funny as this is the tagline:

« “It’s cool for girls to appropriate boys’ stuff, but not the other way around,” ....
    “He said, ‘Women can have the best of both worlds: They can wear a super feminine gem-set watch, and they can also wear a Royal Oak that’s super masculine, but men have to stick to men’s,’” Ms. Wong said.

“And I said, ‘Let me stop you right there — your credit card is not going to be blocked if you try to buy a woman’s watch,’” she said. “He just wanted me to admit women have it better. He wasn’t changing his mind.”

Edited Mar 10, 2021
    kkt, Observer, cvalue13 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Observer I know nothing! Mar 10, 2021

I can happily appropriate ‘women’s’ stuff, no problem. Look at who’s getting wrist time today. EFBEB299-B56D-4AFA-8152-E33499BE6A3C.jpeg
    My covetousness is only in regard to wrist size.

DaveK, wagudc and Syrte like this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 10, 2021

Why is it « woman’s stuff »?

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  6. Observer I know nothing! Mar 10, 2021

I ask myself that every time I wear a dress.

marco, DaveK, Syrte and 3 others like this.
  7. MRC Mar 10, 2021

Pom-poms on the shoes too?

1280px-Греческие_гвардейцы_Эвзоны_-_panoramio.jpg
    Stanislav Amelchyts

8. wagudc Mar 10, 2021

I like the definition: "A woman's watch is a watch a woman wears."

My wrists are pretty small for a man, and very few modern "men's" watches appeal to me. For me 34-36mm feels about right for most watches. I'll take up to 40mm for dive watch. An exception is made for the Speedmaster.

I suppose from a money making point of view it is easy to put people in boxes and market to subdivisions of your own creation. That and making people feel inadequate is a time honored tradition in marketing, e.g. "you're not sexy enough but you will be if you buy this watch" or "you're not manly enough unless you buy this expensive giant watch."

9. Professor Mar 10, 2021

When I picked up this Benrus, very good mechanical condition runs great, s-l1600-2.jpg
    I chose to give it to my sister. Not because of the size, I have two others the same size which I wear now and then, but because the rhinestone and ruby markers were just too much bling for a mans watch.