Forums Latest Members
  1. Antipode2019_ Aug 3, 2019

Hello all,

I'm currently residing in Sydney, not really a buyer's market in terms of watches and the like. Not only is the dollar terrible but we get slogged GST and things just seem generally more expensive.

I'm really after a speedy, not necessarily brand new, happy to buy secondhand if the watch is well maintained.

I'll be travelling through the US for six weeks starting end of September. My holiday includes, San Fran, Vegas, Texas, Tennessee then upto NYC and surrounds for 10 nights.

My question is this, can anyone recommend a good watch shop in NYC or any of the other places I'm travelling through for Speedmasters? I know this is a broad question, but if there's anywhere that I should really be visiting I'm happy to detour.

Thanks in advance.

2. watchthirst Aug 4, 2019

The smaller towns and cities is where it’s at.

Most NYC watch shops are overstocked with overpriced watches, frankens, and custom iced out disasters. While there’s definitely some places worth visiting, specifically many of the ADs, you’ll have a lot more fun and luck searching for your perfect speedy in lesser known areas of the states. Pricing can also get much more competitive when dealers don’t have NYC rent to pay at the end of the month.

My credentials: NYC born and raised :)

airansun, OmPam60, MTROIS and 3 others like this.
  3. Antipode2019_ Aug 4, 2019

Awesome! Thanks for your advice. I'll be searching high and low.

4. snarkq Aug 4, 2019

I enjoyed visiting watches of switzerland in soho when i was in NYC. They have a bunch of different brands, and the analog/shift team always has a few vintage pieces on display as well. They have a bar downstairs etc. And soho is a fun neighborhood to walk around.

OmPam60 and 89-0 like this.
  5. gbesq Aug 4, 2019

If you’re willing to go grey market on a new Speedy, Jomashop in Brooklyn is tough to beat on price, but no manufacturer’s warranty.

nlogax likes this.
  6. orlis Aug 4, 2019

I know it is not New York but quite close, what about Manfredi in Greenwich, CT? Anybody had any experience with them?

BenBagbag and MTROIS like this.
  7. gbesq Aug 4, 2019

Greenwich is one of the most expensive towns in the U.S. Wouldn’t be expecting much of a deal there.

Edited Aug 4, 2019
  8. PhotonX Aug 4, 2019

If you are visiting Dallas, stop by Timeless Luxury Watches. You can usually obtain a new or preowned Speedy at a reasonable price.

9. nlogax Aug 4, 2019

Living in NYC again and although I've not looked for watch shops, I can certainly observe that the general cost of living is through the roof. I would expect (m)any deals on anything...

That said, I'll file that Jomashop location for a visit later this summer - looks interesting

10. david85 Aug 4, 2019

Agreed. If your stop in Texas is in the Dallas area highly recommend a trip to the north side to Timeless luxury watches. Great store and group people!

11. Hands90 Aug 4, 2019

Come to New Jersey it's an Omega paradise. There are 2 or 3 Omega shops within 20 minutes to each other.
    Even if you come to Hoboken you can go to Kodac but I'd call to make sure they have the model you want.

12. TDBK Aug 4, 2019

Of your itinerary, I'd buy a new watch in Las Vegas. Taxes and business operations costs are low there, I think you can get the best price. There's 2 boutiques and 4 authorized dealers in Vegas, tell them you are coming through and will buy from the dealer with the lowest price, you should do okay.

OmPam60 likes this.
  13. take57 Aug 4, 2019

Perhaps consider a quick stop in Oregon while you're on the West Coast where we have no sales tax, tremendous craft beer and fresh salmon priced not much more than ground beef. I got my Speedy at Portland AD Watchworks, they were great to deal with.

Enjoy your visit

snarkq likes this.
  14. ras47 Aug 4, 2019

Short Hills NJ is a half hour outside NYC, and the Short Hills Mall (very upscale) has a fantastic Omega Boutique. The associates are mostly collectors and enthusiasts, they love a good watch conversation, and won't try and upsell you. Highly recommended.

sturosen likes this.
  15. Antipode2019_ Aug 5, 2019

Thanks everyone for the replies. Greatly appreciated. The itinerary will be getting tweaked!

(The craft beer thing really got me)

16. take57 Aug 5, 2019

Truth be told, you'd be visiting during a very lovely time of year around here (perhaps my favorite). Fall harvests should be underway so many of the restaurants will be featuring freshly gathered products, the fall salmon run and not the least of which, the local wineries should have the crush going on in earnest. Fun to take a tour during crush and see the activities and pickup of bottle or two of the world-class Pinot Noir's produced around here to smuggle back to Oz. (If you burn out on beer... if that's possible) I purchased my Speedy from Max @ Watchworks, but I understand Alex (the owner part of Alex & Co., the other name of the business) is also very good to deal with.

Free free to drop me a PM if I can offer any pointers should you make your way around these parts.

Safe travels.

Edited Aug 5, 2019
  17. TDBK Aug 5, 2019

I must protest, NYC has an excellent craft beer scene, east coast IPAs are delicious. Happy to suggest city breweries to visit.

18. take57 Aug 5, 2019

At the risk of a beer war dust-up, I humbly submit the NYC water is best used for your excellent bagels and pizza dough. Leave the beer brewing to waters off the glaciers of Mt. Hood... :)
    [​IMG]

19. Tigeranteater Aug 7, 2019

Well played. Lol. And true

20. DManzaluni Aug 7, 2019

Go to John Criscitiello at 72 Bowery or Peter Fossner on Second Avenue and 55th Street: They will have a selection of nice Speedies at a fair price. You MAY find something on 47th St if business is bad enough for the retail vendors there to quote you a fair price, though any 47th St price should be better than some retailer in Short Hills! If you want boxes and papers above all, Tourneau does have a used department for retail price level merchandise

Not sure everyone knows this but Dallas, Los Angeles, Short Hills, Oregon, Greenwich etc may look close on a map which is small enough but they arent really that close to NYC.

There are a whole load of great breweries in Brooklyn but good restaurants and bars all over Manhattan will have a good selection. If you see Coors, Bud, Bass, Yuenglin or Stella Artois signs anywhere, you'll know to steer clear!