Forums Latest Members

Not sure what to make of this one....

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 6, 2016

image.jpeg
  2. Sanmilc Sep 6, 2016

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 6, 2016

I think that the dial may be original. The patina seems consistent with the age of the watch, and the signature appears close to one used by Longines. Also, there were 24 hour dials produced for civilian watches, as military "style" was understandably attractive to some.

Syrte and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  4. Seiji Sep 7, 2016

Dial doesn't make sense to me. Military dial is supposed to increase legibility. Why would the inner 13-24 numbers be rotating? Defeats the whole point of add the additional numbers to make understanding quicker and easier. The dial creator didn't understand why a military dial is produced the way it is. Takes longer to read a number that isn't straight up and down.

5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 7, 2016

Agreed ... The signature matches the 1942 company logo if my memory's correct, but we now know those may have been carried over for a while. Also interestingly the style of the dial is late 40s whereas the style of the hands is more like early 50s-- but at least the patina seems consistent. As for the case, I've never noticed one like this but again I don't really pay much attention to 1950s watches.