Forums Latest Members

Not Familiar With This Ref. Is This Untouched? Polished Heavily? A Beauty Anyway! Tresor 2659

1. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 7, 2013

2. woodwkr2 Mar 7, 2013

That looks almost NOS. I'm skeptical of any dial that is that clean and yet purports to be vintage, but on a quick look I can't find any readily noticeable flaws. The one clue that this has been polished are the hands; those dauphine hands usually have a sharp angle in the middle--and they do, near the holes where they connect to the pinion--that is, unless you polish them with out being extremely careful. My guess is that this case was in pretty good condition to begin with and then was polished to this shine.

I don't know the answer to your question about the graining on the sides of the lugs and it's a good question. If it's not original, it was a nice touch on the refinisher's part.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 7, 2013

That case has been heavily polished. The seller has done a clever job of presenting the watch, but those lugs are a dead giveaway. They should be much sharper.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 7, 2013

it is just like the one I recently had on the sales forum (but that was gold filled).

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 7, 2013

Ditto - seller known for this sort of thing.

6. ulackfocus Mar 7, 2013

This is what the non-hardcore collector and n00b wants - pretty & shiny. I agree with Tony that it's a great listing of a spiffed up, but non-original, watch case.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2013

Well he going to keep on doing it, 'cause it worked. :rolleyes:

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2013

Trésor

Gents' leather strap

Reference
    OT 2659
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 342
    With subsecond hand
    17 jewels
    Created in 1949
    Case
    18K solid gold
    Case back
    Press-in
    Dial
    With hand-riveted gold hour markers and gold hands
    Crystal
    Hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    No
    [​IMG]

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 8, 2013

And it's on my wrist now :D Running a treat :thumbsup:

Varasc likes this.
  10. Sylvia Jul 19, 2013

Hi pitpro,

the lugs are ORIGINAL. I have an identical watch here - but not refinished - and the lugs are the same. The difference in the case numbers is only arround 60: these two watches have been produced in the same week!
    I bought this OMEGA years ago in a good used condition and I am wearing it not very often.

Kind regards
    Sylvia

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 19, 2013

can we see pics?

12. pitpro Likes the game. Jul 19, 2013

Hi Sylvia
    Are the lug edges on top of lug soft like this one on yours? or sharp as in the
    Omega database photo?

Buck2466 likes this.
  13. Sylvia Jul 19, 2013

... it is exactly the same watch as shown in the pictures above (therefore it is obsolete to make photos). The only difference I found is in the numbers of the case and the clockwork!
    The OMEGA database shows a later model from around 1952 with a different dial, indices and small second. A watch like this is offered here:
    http://www.chrono24.de/omega/vintag...id2454756.htm?id=2454756&picnum=9&tab=details

Our "2659" is an earlier version, from around 1949-1950 (compare the serial numbers!) and in some details much more similar to the "Century Watch":
    http://www.vintagegoldwatches.com/product/omega-18k-auto-centenary-1944/ , a chronometer from 1948.

A modern re-edition of this watch is the No.5 of the OMEGA MUSEUM COLLECTION:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/press/press-kit-text/480

Kind regards
    Sylvia

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 19, 2013

The second watch is a centenary as is the reissue - not the same watch as the 2659. And I don't think there is much question that the original watch in this thread has been refinished. It is still in nice shape with a clean dial and movement but the case has been touched up.

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2013

Silva, the 2659 came with several dials on any given year. The dial on yours is not the only dial of 1949. Comparing your Tresor to a Chronometre Centenary is like comparing a Volkswagen and Porsche' , same company, but vastly different in performance and construction.

It is not obsolete to post pictures your watch. The question was asked so that the wear on the lugs of your watch could be compared to the wear on the watch in the beginning of this thread. We understand that it is the same model, but no two watches remain exactly the same over time. The lugs on the first watch have been refinished, that does not mean they are not the same, just that they have been enhanced to make them look newer.

16. kendrick Jul 19, 2013

As they say, 'Pics or it didn't happen'.

17. Sylvia Aug 4, 2013

... here are photos:
    OMEGA_342_2.jpg OMEGA_342_3.jpg