Forums Latest Members

Not an April fool's trick - hard to believe though!

1. mac_omega Apr 4, 2014

Just wanted to share with you a funny buying experience...

I stumbled upon an ebay listing with the following description:

Quote:

"Vintage Omega 564
    Automatic
    Sweep second
    Date: quickset by repeated pulling the crown
    Few Scratch on the glass
    Never Opend for replacing Battery
    Original Bracelet
    Fast and Secure EMS Shipping!
    This is an 100 % Authentic Omega Watch For Men From the early 60' In Very Good Conditions and runing on and off, Need to replace battery. "

The auction ended below the reserve price and I took the plunge and contacted the seller.
    I explained to him that this watch did not need a new battery but a good cleaning and lubricating and he should consider the costs for servicing when fixing the price...
    We mutually agreed upon a price... and finally it arrived 2 days ago.

It is the kind of watch I like to buy: full of gunk, never polished at all, no attempt to pimp it up or make it "oh shiny", sold as found...
    The edges and bevels still crisp, brushing as it left the factory with only slight surface marks but badly scratched crystal.

I gave it a short outside cleaning to remove the dirt, polished out the scratches of the crystal, gave it some initial winds and put it on to see if it ran.

And what a surprise! It winds and runs flawlessly, keeping reasonably time within about 25 sec./24 hours without any intervention :thumbsup:
    face.jpg

So I became curios about the condition of the "heart". There appeared a very clean Cal. 751 (I already knew that the listing was wrong with Cal. 564).
    All the screws are in crisp condition, no watchmaker marks, and I suppose the watch had not been opened for decades.
    The oscillating weight had some tarnish and after a gentle wipe with a microfiber cloth it sparkles beautifully again.

mov_2.jpg

The condition of the gasket (or what was left) proved that the case had not been opened for a very long time - it was melted down to a sticky black mass and I removed it carefully with a tooth pick - left "sticky fingers" as you can see.
    gasket.jpg

I will give the movement a good service to prevent any damage and then it will be one of my daily beaters. As I enjoy the precision of these chronometers I will wear this regularly and let my second (mint) example be a safe queen as she is in top notch collectible condition.

I would appreciate to experience more of such buying surprises in the future :)

gatorcpa, JohnSteed, Mothra and 4 others like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 4, 2014

Great "barn find" and the upside of slogging through the 'bay. Congrats. :D

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 4, 2014

Looks great! Was that one from Israel?

4. Dablitzer Apr 4, 2014

These are great watches. I just picked up a 168.050 chronometer and I already know it'll be a firm favourite! Would love to see your crispest model! :)

5. ainterian Apr 4, 2014

THAT BRACELET :eek:

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 4, 2014

Congrats Mac.........certainly you know what you are doing :thumbsup:

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 4, 2014

Congrats Erich.
    That's a really nice find and lots of fun cleaning.

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 4, 2014

What a great find.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2014

Great find Erich.

In Australia you would be called a "tin arsed bastard", which although sounds bad, is actually a term of Aussie endearment for a mate who has had some good luck.

Cheers

Jim

10. mac_omega Apr 5, 2014

Yes, I know this is not the real thing, it is an aftermarket one but it wears comfortably, and I do not mind to scratch it when wearing the watch daily.

11. mac_omega Apr 5, 2014

Oh, it was you who won the competition! (is it from Turkey?) I had a try myself as this Ref. is missing in my SM chronometer collection...
    I think you did well!

12. Dablitzer Apr 5, 2014

Thanks Mac!
    I really didn't know much about this model until I read up on it on watchprosite. I tend to be attracted to unusual case designs and I thought this one qualified, also the fact that the case brushing and racing dial looked really nice compared to other versions I'd compared it too. And also the staple cal. 564 was an attraction. I'm sure this model will come around again, but, you are certainly set up on my dibs list after ainterian should I sell It. :thumbsup:

Complete respect finding the nice untouched example above!

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2014

I certainly hope my recent April purchase turns out as well as yours.

anchor.JPG
    simon likes this.
  14. ainterian Apr 5, 2014

My constellation came on such a bracelet. It looks to me like it has the spring loaded ends to fit multiple band sizes. The problem with these types of bracelets is that because the ends rotate with the rest of the bracelet, they can scratch up the lugs pretty nastily.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2014

I use 99% alcohol for cleaning up the "black goop" and it takes it right off. It does make a mess though...