Forums Latest Members
  1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 11, 2013

If it's not "vintage" it must be "used."It's my first Elite-powered watch - Elite is the movement that Zenith made in 1994 for three handed watches to accompany El Primero. The watch is a Rainbow Diver, coveted by me since I first saw it in a pic on Todd's wrist (who I haven't seen around here in ages). It's a diver in the Submarine style, but with a much more refined appearance at 9mm thick, smaller applied indices and slender hands.

[​IMG]

Adding to the elegance is a flat sapphire that at certain angles seems to simply disappear

[​IMG]

The appearance on the wrist is sport-elegant, stopping just short of delicate
    [​IMG]

Besides the fact that I peg this one as a future classic among "used" Zeniths, to join the Rainbow flyback, I think this stands a good chance of developing into an all-purpose workhorse for me. Hope you like the change of pace from hardcore vintage.

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 11, 2013

Very nice indeed. I've never noticed this model before, but I get what you're saying about future classic. You should have it pressure tested... this watch might fill that beach-and-swimming-pool-timepiece gap that has seemed to exist in your collection. :)

3. danomar May 11, 2013

Nice! That is IMO the best version, black dial, raised angled hour indices, and those fantastic hands!

My own not-exactly-vintage Zenith diver is really growing on me.

[​IMG]

Its dimensions are very similar to the Rainbow, so I think I understand what you mean. They are both watches that upon first look seem unimpressive. The more they are worn, the more one appreciates all of the nicely tasteful Zenith touches.

Enjoy!

4. Veritas99 May 11, 2013

Nice watches to you both, the Elite is certainly an under-appreciated movement.

One my of my favorite touches from this line was the color matched date wheel - even for the more audacious dial colors:
    [​IMG]

5. danomar May 12, 2013

Indeed. Another neat touch that I always liked about Zenith is how the outer minutes marker ring is included on the inside edge of the date window. For the longest time, I could not figure out what that line with three marks was. Then one day it all made sense.

Zenith = Thoughtful design.

6. Veritas99 May 12, 2013

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 12, 2013

Got a Seiko that does beach/hurricane duty - it's hard to justify anything else

Yes, fully agree - no matter what Zenith made, even the Nataf monstrosities, was well and carefully finished.

I think we decided these were the Mango Rainbows. I'll peg at least the Mango Primero as another future classic.