Forums Latest Members
  1. Elroy Jan 21, 2013

I was re-reading a story regarding the sale of Ed White's 105.003 at auction several years ago. I believe the price realized was 34.5k. Today, I can't imagine what it would sell for, but I would have no qualms paying double that amount. Here is the question especially for you Speedmaster enthusiasts: If you happened upon a serious collector who was selling his collection, and you had 50k to spend which would you choose from his collection, the actual watch Ed White wore for his first EVA and in the Apollo 1 tragedy OR a correct original 2915-1 in nearly new condition, with patina, and lets throw in the correct original bracelet, papers, and box? And don't try to any end-runs around the choice. There must be ONLY ONE.

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

The issue with the Ed White watch is ownership as NASA owned these watches and there are potential legal complications to that. If you put that issue aside and the provenance was impeccable that this is indeed the watch then that is what I would prefer.

3. ulackfocus Jan 21, 2013

Oh well, that disqualifies my answer. I'd let you Speedy freaks fight it out and use my $50k on a Breguet and a vintage Patek.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

If that Ed White watch was for sale, $50k wouldn't even come close today - might be more like $500,000.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

Well not wanting to be a celebrity, I think I'll just be content with the mint 2915-1

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

Well in that case I'll take the Ed White and sell it. :D

7. ulackfocus Jan 21, 2013

Boy, I hate autocorrect. My iPhone must not be so smart.

8. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 21, 2013

Hm, though the Speedys became only what they are due do the fantastic job of a Ed, Neil etc., I would take the perfect. 2915-1 :)

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

I think the other question is this:

The Ed White 105.003 or...
    Buzz Aldrin's 105.012 (If found)

10. Elroy Jan 21, 2013

MSN, I tend to agree that White's watch would bring well over 100k this time around, but the legal issues should not be a problem. My understanding is that the watch was given to White's widow after his death, which may be the only flown watch ever given away by NASA. NASA should no longer have any legal claim to it. I believe there was even a letter indicating it was given to her. Now, the question of Aldrin's watch vs White's is also a good one. I would have to give that a lot of thought. His watch would fetch over a million, I think. Although, White's watch has such incredible history. The first watch exposed to open space, and what better testimony to the Speedmaster than a watch that survived that incredible fire totally intact. I might still choose the 105.003. It's hard to imagine that 10 or 15 years ago it sold for so little. And for the record, the jury is still out on Aldrin's model. There is no conclusive evidence, but many believe it was a 145 not 105. The serial numbers of other NASA watches from the seem to indicate it is likely to be a 105, but most sources I have seen call it a 145. I still like to think it's a 145.012.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

In the case of the White watch, I think the letter to White's family is out there somewhere, its either his son or grandson that now has it and takes care of it. It was probably the best thing NASA could have done given the circumstances, White no doubt knew the risks when he stepped into that command module, he wanted to be on the very edge of human advancement and the danger came along with it. That Speedmaster certainly lived every moment of it along with him.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

btw Elroy & Base 1000, keen to see your Speedmaster pics if you want to post them!

13. Elroy Jan 21, 2013

I'm sure my meager group would not be very impressive, but I'll see what I can dig up. Base 1000's promises to be interesting, though.

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

I believe Aldrin's watch was a 105.012- this from Chuck Maddox who spoke to Aldrin about the watch and apparently got enough detail about it to conclude it was a 105.012.

15. Elroy Jan 21, 2013

Chuck Maddox was a great authority with regard to Speedmasters and many other watches, but how on Earth he could ascertain whether it was a 145 or 105 from a conversation with Aldrin many decades after the watch disappeared leaves me scratching my head. I'd have to see that transcript. Did Buzz open the watch and check the numbers? I can't imagine he noted the almost impossible-to-notice difference in the word "Professional" or the subtle change in case back. How did Chuck arrive at that conclusion?
    I guess we'll know when it surfaces, and I believe it will surface one day. The thief who stole it won't live forever, and if he passed it along to someone else, they will eventually find a way to let the world know who has it. We all know that half the joy in owning rare pieces is others knowing we own them. It may take another 50 years, but that watch will surface, NASA engraving and all. Imagine being the guy who has it in his safe. He can look at it every day, but it has to kill him that no one else can know where it is.

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

Yes the outer caseback - smooth versus stepped was pretty obvious to my mind and not really that subtle. But I am an equal opportunity accumulator - I have tried and will continue to try to get as many cal. 321 speedmasters as I can no matter the case reference.

17. Elroy Jan 21, 2013

MSN, was the outer caseback the reason Chuck thought it was a 105? I should have been clearer: To people who study watches closely and care about the minutia, the differences in those backs seem obvious, but I can't imagine anyone expects that Buzz Aldrin, who wore the watch for uitilty and probably had no other interest in it, (until it was gone and considered a piece of priceless Americana) remembers whether the caseback had two bevels or one, or five, for that matter. This topic seems to be a sore spot for many collectors who have their own favorite and hope the first watch on the Moon was that model. I will concede that the serial number records point to a 105, but for some reason, most sources I see, based on who knows what, lean to the 145. I'd have it in my collection either way.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

From what I'd read, Buzz was a bit of a watch and car guy even before he was issued his Speedmaster, he also had an Austin-Healey Mk1 Bugeye sprite from new and a Saab after the moon landing which is a bit odd, you sort of expect those guys driving Corvette's like Lovell and others.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

My 9th grade science teacher had an Austin-Healey, we picked it up and hid on him.:rolleyes:

20. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 21, 2013

http://chronomaddox.com/omega/articles/e-mailbox_3.html
    ....."I have been comfortable with taking John Diethelm's word that Aldrin's watch was a 145.012."
    -- Chuck

http://chronomaddox.com/moonmovement.html#John_R._Diethelm
    Dave S. posted, on 1 August, 2000 in the Omega Forum, an email from Omega PR (John R. Diethelm) regarding the ST 145.0120-67 model:
    Dear Sir,
    further to your above inquiry, we have compared your information and have therefore the following available details:
    * mvt N° xxxxxxxxxx * manual winding chronograph movement of Calibre 321 - 17 jewels * case reference: ST 145.012 - stainless steel * manufactured and delivered to our Agents in Danemark on October 25, 1968.
    It is confirmed that the OMEGA Speedmaster chronographs that went to the " Moon " were of identical reference as your above watch.
    best regards
    John R. Diethelm / Public relations