Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaNoob Oct 6, 2014

Hi all!

Ok...being new, I had been cautioned about making bids/buying from international sellers. But, it appears many of you have purchase from various places with success?

Any advice on this? What to look for/be careful of?

I had been particularly Leary of Mexico, Singapore & Phillipines, but have read some threads where there seem to be frequent legitimate vintages .

Thanks!

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 6, 2014

I`m weary of USA sellers as well........ there are idiots everywhere. kind regards. achim

3. OmegaNoob Oct 6, 2014

:eek: shadiness everywhere...drats!

Hopefully I did not offend anyone...tried to be as PC as I could.

I just assume some places are more nortorious for counterfeit exports than others?

(Like buying Cuban cigars in the Carribean ;))

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 6, 2014

A PC is what gives you access to the internet. There are good and bad everywhere in the world.
    Personally, I won't buy from South America, Africa, the former Eastern Bloc countries or Asia (unless the individual seller has a bullet-proof reputation) If this upsets anybody, then that's just the way it is.,There is nothing personal or racist about this, it is just that I'd rather miss out on a watch than risk my money and certain countries have a disproportionate reputation for risky transactions.

zcymontmae likes this.
  5. ashleysteadman Oct 6, 2014

Unfortunately as the group has pointed out, there are shady characters all over the world - a great place to start is this forum as you will find a wealth of knowledge and people willing to help out with a purchase. Just remember - if it seems to good to be true, it probably is!

If you come across eBay/web deals that you are considering, post them in the forum - various experts will come out of the woodwork to help out.

citizenrich likes this.
  6. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 6, 2014

Back to what we learned at the beginning:
    1.) If it's to good to be true it is.
    2.) Buy the seller, not the watch.

7. speedbird Oct 6, 2014

Heed all the advice here is my advice.

This doesn't apply to Omega but it is absolutely illegal to import a Rolex into the USA through the mail. Not many folks know this and customs WILL take your watch and you'll be out the money and the watch. Not joking. Don't do it, don't try it

8. OmegaNoob Oct 6, 2014

Ok...that is good to know! Is that regardless of age Of the watch?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2014

I've gone south of the boarder a couple of times, Mexico, Argentina, Peru, on the bay without issue, but you protect yourself with Paypal + CC. You also use your head, if its a 1 feedback seller from Peru with an Ed White going no reserve, don't bother, but if its a guy with a history of watch sales and an appreciable amount of feedback, you can take the precautions and roll the dice, keeping note of your Paypal and CC protection period expiry dates.

If he wants western union, bank wire etc, then he can forget about it, PP and CC are tools that let you take a larger risk for a modest fee, trying to save a little % by going direct deposit is not worth it. Lastly be aware that if you go buying something via an arrangement with a seller "off eBay" ie. make him an offer to end his listing and sell it directly to you, saving him fees in the process, you might have a harder time getting help from Paypal if he ends up a dud.

cristos71, Dogmann and watchyouwant like this.
  10. yande Oct 7, 2014

I've also bought from South America, though with that one, you need to consider the humidity in a lot of countries there if you are thinking vintage..
    Italy is not the best place also to buy from. Not so much because of the people, but the postal system there I have read is full of theft.

Buy the seller, and search their names everywhere you can think of, looking for Feedback. Buy the seller, and that solves 99% of the problems. I've bought perhaps 30 watches, and have never had a problem, most from Watch forum Sales threads. But whose to say.... Research, research research.
    Good luck

11. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 7, 2014

Not too fond of US sellers nowadays. Most of them insist on using the global shipping program which costs a lot of money.

12. speedbird Oct 7, 2014

Yeah, the rolex rule is regardless of age.

13. OmegaNoob Oct 7, 2014

That seems odd to me...who declares it "illegal"??

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 7, 2014

Rolex USA and US lawmakers, I didn't know a company could ask for their own law either until I found out about this thing years ago.

15. OmegaNoob Oct 7, 2014

Wow....ok. I wonder how it's enforced ::screwloose::
    Congrats on the Ultima btw! Beautiful! Can't wait to see the modeling pics! ::jumpy::

16. Wongo Oct 7, 2014

This agreement also applies to Cartier? From memory....
    So actually, by law technically if I walked into US with my 5513, I could be liable to have it taken by customs....

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 7, 2014

No, you're good with one on your wrist, but if you mailed it home that's a different story.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 8, 2014

Indeed one is fine - the only exception to the rule is for a person who wears their own personal watch into the US with them. However if you have another one in your possession, that is a problem, so only one per person.

The issue is that Rolex USA is the trademark owner, so they are the only entity allowed to import Rolex trademarked goods (Rolex watches, Tudor watches, parts, etc.) into the US. If you send or import a Rolex into the US by mail or courier, you are rolling the dice. This is the reason why I don't service any Rolex watches from the US - I get a lot of requests that I turn down because of this law. Coming into Canada is not a problem, but going back to the US is.

I have done a few where the watches have been hand carried back to the US by the owner or a friend of the owner. I don't believe this is a problem for any other country but the "land of the somewhat free"...

I have serviced Rolex watches from as far away as Qatar, but the US is a problem....go figure.

Cheers, Al

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 8, 2014

Interestingly Rolex is also target for Indonesian customs if sent via mail. Not confiscated, but you have to pay huge taxes and customs (about 50-60% of watch value) and they have price table for popular models.
    It will not happened to Vacheron, Audemars or even .... Patek.

H

20. speedbird Oct 8, 2014

If you go on vacation and take 3 Rolex watches (silly idea anyway, liability), you can get a customs form prior to leaving and make them aware that they were purchased prior to leaving the country. You may hand carry one new rolex across the border at a time. As long as the watch on your wrist has been documented (forget the form number but I can find it, I have one), you'll be fine. Just pay the duty. That's a whole other can of worms, customs fraud

If you're an American, buy only within the borders or know the rules for importing.