Forums Latest Members
  1. Annapolis Mar 7, 2022

Does anyone know if Omega produces a bracelet for the newest AT (41mm, date at 6) without PCLs?

Would the 1586/985 setup that suited the former model (also 20mm lugs, if I’m not mistaken) fit the new case too?

I’m considering brushing out the PCLs, as I know many others have done, but would also consider buying an OEM option and just stashing the original bracelet.

Thanks in any case. (And sorry if this is an answered question—I did search before posting.)

2. scapa Mar 7, 2022

This may sound idiotic, but have you tried flipping the bracelet so that the brushed underside is on top? Not sure if it works with the AT but it does with a few other models in the GS and higher-end Prospex lineups, so just wondered.

I'm also not crazy about the PCLs but love my AT 41, so am going to try this, and also maybe pick up a Zealande or other strap that isn't the insanely expensive OEM one.

3. Annapolis Mar 7, 2022

Ha---that's a brilliant idea, actually, but I don't believe it's possible: the ends-links are integrated with the first four links on each side--there's no way (that I can see) to remove them. So while I could probably flip the first several half-links and links leading from the clasp, once I hit those irremovable ones, I'd be out of luck. ...Unless I'm missing something--?

4. Annapolis Mar 7, 2022

According to this listing, the 1586/985 does indeed fit the 41mm AT (right?--as opposed to the 41.5?), so maybe that's the quarry I'm after...

5. scapa Mar 7, 2022

From memory, that's the bracelet for the previous 41.5 model. It might fit, but I'm not expert enough to know (interested to find out, though).

https://www.authenticwatches.com/omega-aqua-terra-20mm-steel-bracelet-1586-985.html

You're likely right about those fixed links. I'm going to try it anyway. Otherwise will wear it until those PCLs scratch themselves, and then just finish the job, I guess.

Annapolis likes this.
  6. Annapolis Mar 7, 2022

7. scapa Mar 7, 2022

Ah hah! Well, there ya go. Seemed too good to be true.

I'm going to try the Uncle Seiko brushed, and see how I like it. I do find the Omega OEM bracelet to be pretty comfortable.

8. Annapolis Mar 11, 2022

I decided to go the DIY brushed center links option, figuring if I mangled the job I could always get a pro to re-brush (or re-polish) them. In the end, I'm very happy with the result and have no regrets. I respect Omega's choice to use PCLs on a watch that can swing from workplace to sporty, but for my use and my taste (not a blingy person at all), the all-brushed look is just way better. And especially on this model, with its mesmerizing green (dare I say Patekly?) dial, I think toning down the bracelet is a good move---it really focuses the attention where it belongs.

For anyone who's interested: I did a ton of reading and video-watching before committing to this, and was, I'll admit, slightly nervous at the prospect of damaging an expensive bracelet, but felt reassured upon reading, consistently, that nothing I'd do could really be irreparable (short of something cataclysmically stupid). I also practiced first on a few old junk watches and a spoon my wife won't miss before getting anywhere close to the AT. I used two media: first several swipes with the green scotch-brite pad (standard issue, grocery store item); then several more with a 3M ultra-fine pad, purchased for about $3USD from Home Depot. That's it. I'd say about 20 swipes with each and it was done---couldn't have taken more than 2-3 minutes for each length of bracelet. I made long swipes in one direction only, and had the clasp and already-factory-brushed parts masked with painter's tape. The bracelet was removed from the watch during all of this, so there was never any risk to the case.

Is it perfect? Certainly not. And I know myself well enough to know that I will almost inevitably end up doing some touch-ups in the future. But I've worn it now in several light conditions and don't see any flaws---at least not any that bother me. I'm sure under magnification, or looking at an enlarged photo, it'll be a different story, but to the naked eye, you'd never know it wasn't factory-finished. Glad I did this, and glad I didn't pay anyone to do it for me.

One of these days I'll probably get around to brushing the removed links too, but for now I'm just going to enjoy wearing the watch without the glammy center links driving me nuts.

image0 (7).jpg
    Edited Mar 11, 2022
    ragu89, aphexafx, tjs1295 and 2 others like this.
  9. Annapolis Mar 11, 2022

P.S. the horizontal line on the second link is a reflection, not a gouge. :)

10. Annapolis Mar 11, 2022

Two more pics.

IMG_2024.jpg IMG_2025.jpg
    ytk, tjs1295, chrisb732 and 2 others like this.
  11. ChronoB Mar 11, 2022

For a do-it-yourself effort, the results look great. And I agree, the AT looks better, less blingy, and more versatile with an all-brushed bracelet.

12. chrisb732 Mar 11, 2022

I like it, looks great!

13. scapa Mar 12, 2022

Great stuff!

I am going to follow your method in the fall -- as of now I've switched to a Hirsch Performance strap (couldn't stomach the layout for the OEM at this point). Looks fab -- really nicely done.

14. Annapolis Mar 12, 2022

Thanks. Yeah, I had a hard time believing it could really be that easy.

15. ytk Mar 18, 2022

I made my watchmaker to brush the PCLs. I really liked the outcome. I will share some pics

Annapolis likes this.
  16. ytk Mar 18, 2022

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ragu89 and aphexafx like this.
  17. Annapolis Mar 18, 2022

Looks great!

ytk likes this.
  18. Annapolis Mar 18, 2022

And I’ll say, a week on—and I’ve been wearing the watch every day since—no regrets at all. I think my AT looks worlds better with the brushed center links. Much classier and more versatile, imo.

scapa likes this.
  19. ytk Mar 18, 2022

I had the AT Golf 8500, loved the brushed bracelet.
    Having now this brushed bracelet made me really more happy and I enjoy more to use the bracelet (I am normally a huge fan of rubber strap on this new gen AT)

Annapolis likes this.