Forums Latest Members
  1. Khoila May 22, 2020

Hello guys, i new here on the forum as well as in this vintage watch collecting hobby and stil have a lot to learn from all of you so please bare with me.
    I recently found this vintage omega with no name (pictures at the bottom). The seller seems to have a lot of positive reviews on ebay (over 12k to be exact) and stated that he serviced the watch himself.
    I was wondering if this watch is genuine? And before i even make an investment, would you guys be willing to help me answer some question i couldnt find anywhere?
    I live in a humid country so rain, sweat and chilly weather is expected. Would humid and cold weather affect vintage watches significantly as well as sweat on those hot days? Thank you very much.

Screenshot_20200522-020654.jpg Screenshot_20200522-020657.jpg Screenshot_20200522-020700.jpg Screenshot_20200522-020706.jpg
  2. timecube May 22, 2020

It looks genuine to me, though the quality of the pictures is very poor and its impossible to make out any details.

Self-servicing does not guarantee much of anything. I would ask if the seller will warrantee his service following the sale. If the watch is at risk of moisture, you will want to make sure it's serviced w/ replaced seals. And/or pressure tested. If the seller hasn't or won't do this you should assume it's NOT been serviced at all and will need an overhaul immediately.

Khoila likes this.
  3. Khoila May 22, 2020

Sorry about the pictures, i wish i have better ones. And should i be concerned that this omega doesnt have a name? Also would temperature below 32F will affect such old watches? I havent own any vintage watches yet so i have zero experience.

4. timecube May 22, 2020

If you can save the photos directly on your phone and upload them here, the quality would probably be better than the screen captures you sent us instead.

Someone else will have to answer the latter. As to the former, "No name" watches were the budget-minded offerings. They usually have cheaper movements, were mass-produced and are generally considered less valuable to collectors. This should be reflected in the price but no-names can still be perfectly fine watches, assuming everything else is good.

Khoila likes this.
  5. Khoila May 22, 2020

I downloaded it but it doesnt seems to be any clearer haha. But thank you very much for your info. I really like the seamaster 1955 or the 1972 Omega Geneve. But those 2 are either nowhere to be seen or way off my budget atm, its interesting to see omega used to make watches with no name though haha

s-l400 (3).jpg s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (1).jpg
  6. Vitezi May 22, 2020

Hi @Khoila and welcome to the forum. Vintage watches can be affected by humidity if they have not been properly serviced by a watchmaker familiar with vintage watches. There are pliable seals at the crown and the caseback that are intended to keep moisture from entering the watch. These gaskets are often lost or have become brittle and cracked over time, so it is important to replace them with fresh seals.

JwRosenthal and Khoila like this.
  7. Khoila May 22, 2020

Thank you very much for the info! Ill make sure to double check that. And do you know any reliable seller that offer a seamaster 1955 or the 1972 Omega Geneve for a reasonable price? The watch i posted above has been sold (of course) :(

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 22, 2020

Set up a search on watchrecon.com

Khoila likes this.
  9. noonespecial May 22, 2020

I found that searching for watch on the bay using the movement # rather than the actual model name results in some good watches. From some basic research, I've read that some Seamasters/Geneves in the 60s/70s came with an unmarked dial. I recently got a 1970 Geneve that was unmarked!

Khoila likes this.
  10. Khoila May 22, 2020

Thank you for your info, beside ebay do you recommend any other good site for vintage omega?

11. noonespecial May 22, 2020

I've only personally bought two vintage Omegas and they've both been from ebay... Not a great time for it right now, but if you're willing to do the legwork, I am sure estate sales and thrift stores might hold a treasure or two.

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 22, 2020