Forums Latest Members
  1. Paul Ashman Jan 10, 2014

Hello,
    I am new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. I have had my father's 60's era Constellation for quite a while, but yesterday my brother gave me the watch pictured. I also have a gold (plated?) band that has tiny links (grains of rice?). I do not know much about the watch, it is keeping perfect time. It is not solid gold, but gold/stainless. Any information along with thoughts on servicing would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Paul

DSCN0253.JPG
    wwhntr likes this.
  2. John R Smith Jan 10, 2014

Paul

That looks very nice, and original. Can you post at least a shot of the back, and the movement too if you feel confident about opening the watch.

3. Paul Ashman Jan 10, 2014

Hello,
    I will post pics of the back after work, I am not confident about opening it though. The back is stainless with a gold insert that has a very worn looking observation with a few stars. I will get better pictures up later.
    Thanks!

4. Mothra Jan 10, 2014

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 10, 2014

This is similar to the Constellations and powered by the 352 or 354 bumpers. Serial should date it to the late 50s. I love wearing mine. More so than the signed Constellations somehow.
    [​IMG]

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 10, 2014

That's a first generation Globmaster for sure. Should be a Case Ref. 2652. Made only for USA market due to dispute over the rights to the name "Constellation". Has original marked Omega crystal that seems a little scratched. Some Polywatch (Google it) should take care of that.

It is not plated, but gold capped. The layer of gold is 8 to 12 times thicker than electroplating or gold filled. Really more like the sandwich-style cladding used for US dimes and quarters. The medallion on the back is 14K gold, but hollow.

Movement should have an "OXG" marking on it. This was a manufacturers code required by US law at the time.

Here is an advertisement for your watch:

[​IMG]

Any competant watchmaker should be able to service this watch. Cost should be between $100 and $200, before parts.

It looks to be in very nice condition.

Enjoy,
    gatorcpa

Tritium likes this.
  7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 10, 2014

Beautiful watch andgreat heirloom

8. Paul Ashman Jan 10, 2014

Here are a few more pictures, my dad's constellation could really use a crystal,It is really nice to be able to wear something that was so much a part of his attire. The band on the left says:Gold Plated 20 Microns and Stainless Steel There is a "No 12" in an oval and then Omega. The Constellation says 14 G.F. Stainless Steel Hinge also with an oval with the "No 12" in it.

DSC_0070.JPG DSC_0073.JPG DSC_0074.JPG
  9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 10, 2014

Nice finds. If the crystal on the right Constellation is plastic, it can be polished up with products like polywatch. :)

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 10, 2014

Paul, send me the watch and I'll polish it up for you, I have plenty of polywatch !!!
    Be certain that you heavily insure the shipment as s*** happens.

On a serious note, this is a valuable heirloom and is easily improved. Amazon is selling polywatch for a few $ and that coupled with a good service of the movement, your watch will be good until your son (or other heir) posts the same questions you have.

Kyle, is there any chance it is not hesalite?

11. Paul Ashman Jan 10, 2014

Opened it up, it is a 354, there is a tiny OXG. The movement has the number: 13685129
    The back: 2652-5 SC Patent + Acier Staybrite
    Sure sounds like a penny rattleing around inside there, though not as much when on the wrist.

DSC_0077.JPG
  12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 10, 2014

Every one of these I've had has been.

13. Paul Ashman Jan 10, 2014

On the Constellation there is an almost insignificant omega symbol the tiniest bit above the center, at an angle. I cannot find anything similar on the Globemaster.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 10, 2014

I can see it in your first picture. You have to look real closely, but it is there.

Maybe you can see it on my example:

[​IMG]

Take care,
    gatorcpa

15. Paul Ashman Jan 11, 2014

Put a new band on the watch, and feel much safer with it than the old one. Would the "rice bead" band be proper for this one? if not, does it have any value in its comdition? My wife wants to know what the watch might be worth so it could be placed on our insurance policy.
    i spend lots of time in and around and under the water, so my daily watch is a Seiko Diver (not sure if those are fighting words here), it's tough as nails, but I'm headed to Paris this week on business and am looking forward to wearing the new, old-watch!

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 11, 2014

For insurance purposes, I'd say a minimum replacement value of $1,000, maybe $1,500. However, your carrier is likely to want you to go to a jeweler for a written appraisal.

If you asked Omega, they would say that these always were sold with leather. Most Omega dealers at the time stocked the Beads of Rice bracelet for customers who wanted them. They are considered correct and generally add at least $100 to the value.

I would not recommend taking it on a trip without it being serviced by a good watchmaker. This would be the equivalent of being gifted a 1955 Cadillac Eldorado in seemingly road-worthy condition and driving it cross-country without having it vetted by a mechanic.

[​IMG]

Could you make it? Possibly. But what would happen if the watch broke while you were in Paris?

Take the Seiko to France and deal with the Globemaster when you return.
    gatorcpa

17. heman By the Power of Greyskull! Jan 11, 2014

Congrats on the heirloom. It sure is purty :)