Forums Latest Members
  1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2013

Patrizzi tried, but it didn't work out for him. Some of the smaller, more local auction houses charge a much lower percentage than even eBay. But again, you're not getting the exposure.

My feeling is that eBay has gotten large enough where they can pretty much dictate their own terms. They know if they raise the fees too much, they'll chase away the high end. So the more expensive the piece, the lower the overall commission.

I don't love everything eBay does, but I do admire the business model.

Not bad for starting out with Pez dispensers,
    gatorcpa

2. yahamshari Aug 8, 2013

All,

At the end of the day, here's what I learned from my personal experience. I am writing this reply with a smirk on my face so I hope no one takes it too serious or offensive:

Although I spent money over the past twenty years on buying jewelry, luxury watches (a Patek, an A. Lange & Sohne, a Panerai, a Bell & Ross, 3 Rolexes, an IWC, and a Cartier), gold bullion bars, silver bullion bars, mutual funds, stocks, to-drool-after firearms, and scarce/no longer imported ammo, I discovered that at the end of the day cash is king. The rest either lose their value or are hard to sell unless of course a grandfather left a rare vintage or complicated Patek worth several hundred thousand of dollars.

I reallly did my due diligence when it came to investing. My guess is that i have bad luck. Glad I did not invest in real estate. Yes folks, CASH IS KING so long as the currency is not devalued. (smiling)...

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 8, 2013

Amazon might but the real money for them IMO is in advertising - if you think about it GOOG targets you based on what you search for while AMZN can direct ads at you based on what you actually buy.

Archer, gatorcpa and citizenrich like this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 9, 2013

Agreed. This has been going on since the 2nd day eBay existed. People who buy anything without doing their homework are going to get burned. However, when it comes to collectibles, the same is true on any venue.

I believe quite the opposite. Amazon is actually going "Back to the Future", as it were. At least here in FL, they are planning to open a number of brick and mortar retail stores and distribution facilities. My understanding is that you'll go into an Amazon store and basically be able to custom order merchandise for home delivery. In that way Amazon will be able to complete with the "big box" stores, without having to tie up money in inventory. The customer gets what they want, when they want it, at their convenience. I wouldn't bet against them being successful with this model.

eBay basically owns nothing but the internet platform used to auction/sell and ancillary services like PayPal.

I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    gatorcpa

citizenrich likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2013

Patience is key ;)