Forums Latest Members
  1. Co-axial Sep 13, 2018

I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 from 2017.
    I wear watch at home only and not enough to keep it wound.

I though to wind it and reset when it runs out of power, but may have to do that 2 or 3times a week. This may damage threads when using crown or compromise water resistance in seal over time. Only option now may be winder no choice? Wolf basic winder is 900 bi rotationsa day. Rolex need 650 bi rotations a day.

Could the extra rotations damage watch?

Walt Arnstein did a article on Time zone. Watch winders it is not only about turns per day.

Over time would a watch winder damage my watch and increase service costs and compromise time keeping?

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 13, 2018

Hmmm, what would happen if you moved your wrist more then 650 times per day while wearing the watch...?

I personally think you are overthinking this. Just wind it by hand a few times per week. All seals need replacement eventually, whether you are abrading them or not (they dry out). Not sure why you are worried about damaging threads -- would they allow manual winding if it screwed up the watch?

Co-axial likes this.
  3. Co-axial Sep 13, 2018

Good point.

4. Co-axial Sep 13, 2018

If Mr Archer comes by this thread I wonder if he could comment

5. Dan S Sep 13, 2018

The movement would experience less wear and damage if you put the watch in a safe and never wore it. If that's not an option, do whatever is most convenient for you, and have the watch serviced on a regular basis.

Davidt likes this.
  6. time flies Sep 13, 2018

Didnt you ask this same question in another thread titled "help" ?

Have fun
    kfw

Edit...titled "help needed"

7. Co-axial Sep 13, 2018

8. Davidt Sep 13, 2018

No help came within 3 hours (on a subject that's been discusssed several times btw), so you started another thread?

Co-axial likes this.