Forums Latest Members

Nivada automatic 18ct - Dial authenticity

1. nkb Feb 3, 2021

Hi OF!
    I need assistance with this particular example that may be of interest to me!
    It is a vintage Nivada with an 18ct gold case and an AS1561N 21 jewel automatic movement.
    As far as I can assess:

Case: quite sharp and not greatly overpolished
    Crown: looks original
    Movement: OK but would need a service

Dial:
    This is where I am having some difficulty!
    The dial looks very clean for a vintage watch, I am not sure if it is a redial or not. I studied the dial text and it looks consistent with vintage Nivada text but it may be too thick (especially the "21 Rubis"). Is the thick text indicative of a re-paint?
    I think I can make out "swiss made" under the 6-hour marker and have asked the seller to confirm this.

Conclusion:
    Apart from the suspected redial, I think the dial and hands are very attractive for a vintage dress watch, the case and movement are acceptable and the 18ct case is a requirement for my dress watch hunt.

I don't mind buying the more under-rated brands like Nivada. However, I don't want to compromise on a non-original dial!

The price is $700 US; I don't know if that is fitting for this example though? I don't mind paying an extra premium on an original example.

Please let me know your thoughts? Here are the pictures (from the seller)

BTW: what time period is it likely from? The 50s or 60s?

regards
    Neal

Nivada1.jpg

Nivada2.jpg

Nivada3.jpg

Nivada4.jpg

Nivada5.jpg

Nivada6.jpg

Nivada7.jpg

Nivada8.jpg

Nivada9.jpg

2. bubba48 Feb 3, 2021

Original dial IMO

nkb likes this.
  3. Spinakerr Feb 3, 2021

Yes original dial, 'walk like an Egyptian' style N, early 1960s. 50s Nivadas generally had the formal 'square capitals' font, though without actual records its hard to be 100% on dates.

nkb likes this.
  4. nkb Feb 3, 2021

"Walk like an Egyptian" I like that description!

Spinakerr and SkunkPrince like this.