Forums Latest Members
  1. Diabolik Mar 22, 2017

After taking a closer look at this dial, i am considering giving it to a fine art restoration expert to see what can be done. It has got to be better than scraping it and in weird kind of way, i like the patina it has.

I wonder if it is possible to restore the 4 o' clock index, U in its cartucce, the X on compax and outer seconds ring ...

thoughts?

IMG_0193.JPG

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 22, 2017

Oh no... sort of looks like someone's tried cleaning it already, if it had just been left with the patina it would have been nice still. :(

bazamu, billving, Mapearso and 3 others like this.
  3. Mlafra Mar 22, 2017

Not sure how much you can do on the dial without ruining further.... perhaps a really good guy I know can do something about it (I can send you the contacts) but I am pretty sure you will be able to tell it has been restored if you will look at it closely. But probably worth a shot

Diabolik likes this.
  4. Diabolik Mar 22, 2017

not to bothered about the restored bit. i would like to retain what is there and make good what's gone. a partial restore. fire across those contacts ... :)

after all, you wouldn't throw away a michelangelo because of water damage would you ...

billving likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 22, 2017

Yea I know what you mean, and you know, under a crystal at wrist distance with hands on it, this will look drastically better than it does under direct lighting in a macro shot like that so I wouldn't write it off at all either, just wish I could smack the guy that tried to clean it in the back of the head while saying

"Dont"
    "Do"
    "Stupid"
    "Stuff"
    "To"
    "Rare"
    "Watch"
    "Parts!"
    ">=("

Mapearso, OMGRLX, rolokr and 2 others like this.
  6. Diabolik Mar 22, 2017

I would go a step further; i would buy some coarse sandpaper and use it to smoothen out the wrinkles on his face. See how he likes it!

upload_2017-3-22_10-18-53.png

7. 63TR4 Mar 22, 2017

8. Mlafra Mar 24, 2017