Forums Latest Members
  1. Kittysafe Aug 2, 2012

I have a very hard time wearing any metals, necklaces or bracelets or rings because of a nickle allergy, I break out terribly when I come in contact with it, and most metals use nickle to save money and to strengthen softer metals... my question is, does OMEGA use any nickle in their bracelets for the Seamaster series, or in the case body?

I've noticed I've been breaking out lately, and the only metal I've been wearing is my Omega Seamaster 300M.
    I'd hate to have to sell the watch, but if I can't wear it I might have to... if the nickle is just in the bracelet
    and not the casing I could just use a different band.

THANKS

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2012

From Omega's website:

Can I wear an OMEGA stainless steel watch if I am allergic to nickel?
    The materials used by OMEGA are subjected to severe tests in order to avoid this problem. The stainless steel used by OMEGA does contain nickel, but this must first be transferred from the material to the skin before an allergy is triggered. Our stainless steel is so stable that it does not release nickel and is therefore safe for allergy sufferers. The only exception is for those who are hyper-sensitive to stainless steel, i.e. those who cannot cook or eat with stainless steel utensils. In this case, we recommend you buy a watch which is made of titanium.

3. Kittysafe Aug 2, 2012

Our stainless steel is so stable that it does not release nickel ...

Release nickle? I was under the impression that if it has nickle in it, just touching the nickle affects the allergic reaction. What do they mean by releasing it?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2012

I know Stainless Steel has an oxide layer on its surface that I imagine is a barrier between the skin and the nickel content, whether I'm right about that or not is another story

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2012

Generally speaking, people who have nickel allergies react to Rolex watches because they use nickel heavy 904L steel, but are fine with the 316L steel used in Omega watches.

What watch is it btw?

6. Kittysafe Aug 2, 2012

Omega Seamaster 300M Ceramic Bezel, Automatic. Sadly I am breaking out, and the only thing it could be is the watch as it's the only metal
    I've come into contact with and on both wrists, and I've worn the watch on both wrists, so it must be the watch.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2012

How long have you been wearing it?

8. Kittysafe Aug 2, 2012

A week or two.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2012

One option is you could go to the strap, and there are caseback stickers you can use to separate from the case. Alternatively, while not in the ceramic range, Omega made a Seamaster Pro in titanium as well which will be fine on you.

10. Kittysafe Aug 2, 2012

I'd have get this watch sold first, a shame, I bought the exact watch I wanted. Oh well.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2012

We actually have a few doctors on here, so maybe one of them can chime in with some advice

12. Littleroger Aug 2, 2012

It is undoubtedly the watch. I'm not hypersensitive but do notice the classic rash if it's really hot. It was 30+ here the other day and I did notice that unpleasant itch. One reason I wear a NATO on all my watches in the summer. Not a solution if you're hypersensitive though, as contact with the crown will cause trouble anyway. I dont know anyhing about the types of metal used but the only make I've never had any trouble with so far is Heuer. My Tudor seems fine too but I haven't had it long enough to say for sure.
    If you can't wear it and enjoy it, get rid of it. I know it is a shame but it's the only way to go.

13. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2012

30+ is really cold here in the US. :p

316 ss bleeds nickel in trace amounts - that's how it minimizes rust and tarnish. Can you put a small plastic sticky on the back, like the ones that come on some watches? It will keep it form coming in direct contact with your skin. Might make you sweat a bit more though. If the bracelet is bothering you too just switch to a strap.

14. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2012

15. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Aug 2, 2012

I'd be willing to trade you a very nice Casio with a rubber-like strap. This would probably solve all of your problems. I'd be willing to trade even...and I'm not even a fan of the Seamaster...just a nice guy.

16. Littleroger Aug 2, 2012

Ah yes. My bad ;-) Should have said 100+ ...... What system do you guys in Oz use? I'm planning a visit to Oz next year so should probably know :)

Dennis, I love that horology series you wrote. Fantastic stuff!

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2012

Oh what part of Australia are you visiting?

18. Littleroger Aug 2, 2012

No plans finalized yet. We will probably have three weeks in July/August. We have two kids aged 8 and 10. We are of course open for suggestions....

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2012

Gold Coast is pretty good, especially if you've got kids, Sydney has the Opera house, the harbor and a lot of sights but can't come close to the amount of fun to be had up here.

20. Kittysafe Aug 2, 2012

What Omegas are titanium? And is the bracelet on them titanium as well? Which means no nickle?