Forums Latest Members
  1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 16, 2014

I would have put this in the "recommended" forum/thread but since I don't know squat about Omega divers, well, I couldn't really recommend one to anyone.

OK, on the face, this watch looks to me it should tick a lot of the yes boxes on a long checklist:

Vintage
    Black
    Diver - Tool watch
    Mint+++
    last but not least, Omega.

So, I'm prepared to be educated. What have I found here?

What's a "shom" and how much should one cost? I assume this is like one of those WatchCo dealios? Is $1500 too low?

Ebay number

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 16, 2014

You've answered one of your questions yourself, yes it is a "Watchco", meaning a vintage salvaged movement put in a new service case with service hands/dial etc, but not necessarily from Watchco Australia.

A number of watchmakers and others have assembled these tributes to the original model so who knows the provenance unless it's explained.

SHOM?

So, shamelessly stolen from somewhere on the interwebs, supposedly:

"The SHOM Seamaster was so named because Omega created this model for France's Service Hydrographique et Océanographique de la Marine (SHOM), a public agency that is charged with documenting and studying the oceans as well as supporting mariners through the publication of charts, maps, guides and almanacs. Apparently, SHOM's workers needed a sturdy, waterproof timepiece to reference as they charted, mapped and almanacked."

It's a nice looking chunk of stainless but I prefer my "Baby Ploprof", which is a Watchco fitted with a service movement (not salvaged).

Please excuse the lint on the crystal.

x60907-56a69e2c60b342f29b4a40978d0e1df6.jpg.pagespeed.ic.O2ybDVh7wG.jpg

VictorAlpha and citizenrich like this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 16, 2014

OK, right off the bat, I like the bezel on your watch much more than the other. Your watch seems more balanced. Not sure balanced is the right word but I know what I mean hahaha.

Funny you mentioned the lint because of course I tried to pick it off my screen. My buffoonery knows no bounds...

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 16, 2014

There, I fixed it :D

citizenrich likes this.