Forums Latest Members

Nice Watch To Buy? Omega Constellation 14393 Pie Pan 18k Gold

1. mvogel Oct 18, 2012

Hi there,

I was looking for a Omega Constellation 18K Gold watch.. and found one on the internet. I want to know or any of you can see from the pictures of this watch is a good buy for the asking price.

The asking price is euro 2000,-

The specs:

1. Brand : Omega
    2. Model : Constellation Pie Pan Chronometer
    3. Diameter : 36mm 18k golden case, with original buckle.
    4. Condition: Excellent condition, serviced in 2009.
    5. Asking price : EUR 2000
    6. Age : Early sixties
    7. Presence of papers and box: Omega box is present
    8. Clockwork : Caliber 561 (fully automatic, no "hammer" automatic)

The pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

2. mvogel Oct 18, 2012

3. fjf Oct 18, 2012

It is called pie-pan because the dial looks like (with some imagination) a pie mold or plate:[​IMG]

The one you show looks good to me, but I would wait until the experts here say the verdict.

4. mvogel Oct 18, 2012

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I know why it is called Pie Pan. But the Omega database saying:

Dial: De luxe, with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold "dauphine" hands.

You see, it is saying nothing about being a Pie Pan dial.

I hope the experts can give me the verdict :)

5. chiko7734 Oct 18, 2012

It is definitely a pie pan. It looks original to me but wait for the experts to chime in

6. ulackfocus Oct 18, 2012

The 14.393 did have a pie pan dial and was supposed to house the 561. The watch looks okay to me from the pictures shown, but I'd want to see shots where the hands are out of the way of all the text on the dial. A few pics of the movement and inside of the caseback too.

7. mvogel Oct 18, 2012

Hi,

I can ask pictures where the hands are out of the way. But the seller (not a watch shop) is not having the tools to open the back of the watch. He said.

When I have more pics I'll post them here.

Thanks.

8. ulackfocus Oct 18, 2012

Very good. You should wait for a few more opinions, particularly from Hoi if he sees this.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 18, 2012

No pictures? No opinion.

The pictures aren't showing for me because you are using a social networking site to host them. I have a firewall that is blocking them. I'll use my cellphone and respond later.

gatorcpa

10. mvogel Oct 18, 2012

What do you mean, no pictures.. I've posted 4 pictures in the start post.

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 18, 2012

"No pictures, No opinion" is a commonly used expression in the watch world.

He means, in good conscious he really can't give any accurate assessment and make recommendations without complete pictures of the watch, including pictures of the movement, the inside of the back and the side would help too. People who sell watches are commonly up to more monkey business that you can imagine. Swopped movements, movements with wrong parts, entirely wrong movements, counterfeit movement, damaged movements, wrong cases, wrong case back, counterfeit cases, etc., etc. We have a responsibility to give you only good advice or none at all.:)

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 18, 2012

Pie-pan is more a nickname these dials have attracted from collectors after the fact than something they were described as originally which is why the vintage DB may not mention it. Its like the 1960s Mercedes SL class cars, they're called Pagodas now, but originally it was just the current SL.

13. mvogel Oct 18, 2012

Thanks for the info. This are the only pictures i've got of this watch.. The seller does not have any tools to open the watch I'm affraid. When I buy the watch I'll take it to a store to check it out. But I like your opinions before I buy it.

Thanks.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 18, 2012

Regarding the movement, even though it was serviced in 2009 says the seller, generally we discount that as crap and factor in the cost of a service, which isn't all that much on one of these, probably 200-300 euro tops for a quality job at an independent watchmaker. The Cal 561 is an extremely strong and accurate movement, not just by vintage Omega standards, but even compared to the majority of modern movements, so you can expect a lot from it.

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 18, 2012

Looks like a pretty nice example - lightly polished and refinished case with a clean dial. I would try to bargain the price down some (maybe 10% or so) and ask for a 3 day right of return so you can confirm that the movement is in good shape.

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 18, 2012

I viewed the pictures on my iPhone.

The dial looks good to me. I think the case back has been polished up, but whoever did it was careful not to damage the medallion on the back. That's good. The buckle doesn't look right, is it supposed to be solid gold? We cannot see the hallmark on the back of the case to tell if this is 14K or 18K gold. There's a larger one on the the inside, which of course, we also cannot see.

At almost US$2,600 the seller is asking full retail price for the watch, but doesn't want to let you view the inside? That's a warning sign right there. Would he accompany you to a watchmaker before you buy? There's a lot of funny business that goes on with these Constellations and you have to make sure it's right before paying top dollar. Even on my pie-pan, the rotor bridge was a replacement (that I later fixed). But I paid less than 1/3 the asking price of this watch for a 14K version, so I expected less.

There's another old saying in the vintage watch business..."Buy the seller, not the watch". In my opinion, you need to do a little more authentication work before buying this watch.

I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies from this seller,
    gatorcpa

17. mvogel Oct 19, 2012

Thankt guys for all the info. I've emailed the seller to ask to check the watch by a Omega dealer. I allready did a bid of 1500 instead of the 2000 he is asking.. But I will only buy it if it is checked by a dealer.

If you have any more tips for me please let me know.

18. chiko7734 Oct 19, 2012

You don't have to have him take it to an omega dealer. Any watchmaker will be able to open it up for him and he can take some pics.

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 19, 2012

I think it is better to negotiate a 3 day right of return - then you can take it to someone yourself and physically inspect it. This is relatively low risk because given the condition of the watch dial and case it is unlikely the movement is in poor shape. It's easy enough for the seller to swap out parts/movement after the pictures are taken, send the watch to you sealed up and if you don't check yourself you won't know. I also sometimes try to personally speak with the seller because sometimes this helps clarify things and makes it more comfortable for both parties to make the deal.

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2012

My response was based on you doing a face-to-face deal at a watchmaker's office of your choosing. If you are doing a mail order deal, then MSN's got it right. Get a unconditional right to return the watch for a week or so to allow you to get the inspection you need. If this seller is reputable, he should have no problem with this request.

The issue I see with the seller taking the watch to a "dealer", is that most Omega AD's have little knowledge of vintage watches and likely would have no clue what parts may or may not have been replaced. Many vintage watch dealers are equally clueless, so how would you know if this dealer knows what he is talking about?

At $2,000, it has to be 100% right, or you should walk away.
    gatorcpa