Forums Latest Members
  1. Dougall Feb 13, 2016

Hello all

I'm going to be in New York next weekend and want to see some nice vintage Omegas in the person. Coming from New Zealand we don't get to see many in the flesh, more so have take a punt on some crappy Internet photos.

Do any of you learned collectors have any suggestions?

Much appreciated.

2. Traveler Feb 13, 2016

I highly recommend a visit to this booth http://www.timetitans.com

In the heart of NYC's diamond district, just getting there is an experience in itself - thousands of watches to look at all along 47th street - once you get to timetitans, you'll find Rich - you won't meet anyone more passionate about vintage watches - as much a collector as a dealer, he is extremely knowledgable, and has a ton of inventory ( way more than on the web site ) that he'll let you handle and try on for hours - a great place to check out....

BUT - if you're only there at the weekend I think the whole district will be shut! If you can make it there on the Friday or Monday its well worth the experience...

While you are in the vicinity, may be check out this place, which is part of the 'establishment'
    http://www.aaronfaber.com/

But be warned that most of the watches there will be WAY over-priced ... You may get lucky there as they sometimes mis-price, but generally it's a place to avoid buying ( and the experience will be nowhere near as pleasurable as being in the diamond district )

Also, a little known fact, at the back of the gents store at Bergdorf Goodman on Fifth Avenue ( iconic NY clothing department store, also not far from 47th street ) on the ground floor, they sell vintage watches - nice display, cool pieces, but again, you are paying for the location and convenience....

Edited Feb 13, 2016
    Deafboy, 1685 and Jacquot like this.
  3. Traveler Feb 13, 2016

Oh, and another place close by (Rockerfeller Center) to AVOID ... http://www.louismartin.com/

At first glance, a good selection of stuff, but mostly over-polished, and in some cases downright fake / Frankens ( and all prices are dialed up to 'Tourist rip off' level. )

They once tried to sell me a 100% fake SM300, and dropped the price from 10k to 5k to 3k to 1.7k in about 5 minutes, before I ran away...

4. NT931 Feb 13, 2016

I bought a Great White from TimeTitans. Friendly and honest service - the watch had a minor problem, and they refunded me the cost of servicing here in Singapore.

I visited NYC last year but fell sick so I couldn't visit every place I wanted to. These were some of the places on my wish list that I never got to visit, but wish I had! Not sure how they are though...
    http://iwmagazine.com/2013/09/new-yorks-hidden-vintage-timepiece-sources/
    http://www.urbandaddy.com/nyc/gear/...n_Chinatown_New_York_City_NYC_Chinatown_Label
    http://www.tempvsfvgit.com/

5. Traveler Feb 13, 2016

From the first article - Central Time is also closed at weekends ( and in my experience, falls into the overpriced and over polished category ), Fowler's place is fantastic, but a very small selection ( of very good ) vintage for sale - cool place to check out if you are down there though. Madison time is just Pateks and by appointment only. The Chinatown guy - I've never managed to find him - heard good things but he's always been 'away' or 'didn't come in yet' each time I went there. Tempus Fugit I wouldn't bother - small selection, icy reception...

6. Dougall Feb 13, 2016

Thanks guys! Many options and much appreciated. Looks like I shall have to make some time during the week though.

7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 13, 2016

Also, if you like Speedmasters, and you want to see before you buy, @Kringkily is in lower Manhattan. I bought a beauty from him recently, and he's a stand-up guy. Check-out what he has in the Sales Forum before you go...

Jacquot, x3no, Etp095 and 2 others like this.
  8. KstateSkier Feb 13, 2016

Second @Kringkily - he and I just recently had a transaction that sent a beautiful original 145.022 my way. George was great to deal with, shipped fast and overall made my second Omega purchase (first used) a great experience. I will see him again for future purchases.

9. d4uk Feb 13, 2016

I'm off to NYC but only for a few days in Mid April... would love to meet up with George @Kringkily does he have a store or just sells from home/work?

10. KstateSkier Feb 13, 2016

Send Kringkily a PM here on the forum and ask him. I know he'll meet f2f.

11. Dougall Feb 14, 2016

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen a lot of interesting Speedmasters that @Kringkily had had in the FS section. I'll definitely try to catch up with him. Thanks for the suggestion.

12. robocaspar Feb 14, 2016

Interesting. Never went in this place but at first glance the selection seems quite large.

Thanks for the warning!

13. Dougall Feb 23, 2016

Well I squeezed in some time yesterday to tell into the heart of the Diamond District and met Rich at Time titans. What a great guy and so passionate as you said. Great experience indeed and I would second that if you want some help finding a specific watch Rich is a great bloke to try to to help. What a selection he has, military, chronos, dress watches you name it be had them and in great condition.

Thanks for the heads up. What a great guy.

Jacquot and Traveler like this.
  14. yinzerniner Feb 23, 2016

I met Rich at a Pop Up Flea event in NYC, and yes his passion is real. Also, while he's first and foremost a salesman he's also very direct and honest about his pieces - no fluff and no b.s. about what he knows about each. Was about to pull the trigger on a Zenith De Luca but just couldn't at the time due to other holiday gift expenditures, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

As stated earlier if you're looking for a great variety Aaron Faber is phenomenal, but also with phenomenal prices. Since they have watchmakers and jewelers in house the timepieces are often in amazing restored shape and never overpolished. If you're more into original / unpolished you're probably best looking elsewhere, but they often have a glut of amazing pieces.

15. gminnj Feb 23, 2016

I wish we had a good vintage shop in New York, but I don't trust any of them (with, possibly, the exception of Tempvs Fvgit. He seems legit.).

I've been in Aaron Faber; got the hard sell, and was shown Rolexes that clearly had changed key components, with tremendous prices.

I have also been considering the selection at Bergdorf Goodman (which was at one point, but no longer, gathered by Hodinkee). Likewise, the Club Monaco downtown also has vintage watches for sale under the Hodinkee purview.

16. Drawarms Feb 23, 2016

Rich at time titans on 47th, highly recommended for watches to fit any budget!

17. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 23, 2016

Rich is a good guy :)

Jacquot, OMGRLX and Drawarms like this.
  18. gminnj Feb 23, 2016

Well, YOU I trust!

:thumbsup:

OMGRLX likes this.
  19. Traveler Feb 23, 2016

I'll give you an idea of what a stand up guy Rich is - as I write this, I'm wearing a watch that I wanted to buy from him... He refused to sell it to me (yet) - reason being, he said he thinks I will get tired of it quickly ( I've bought a few from him, so he's getting to know my 'taste') ... so he said 'just wear it for a couple of weeks, and then we'll see...' He didn't ask for anything in return - End of week one, and I still like it :rolleyes:

20. Steve1haggart Feb 28, 2016

Can vouch for Louis Martin, I was in NYC in November they were selling a ranchero starting price $6 within minutes it was down to $2400 good price you would think....... The only trouble with the ranchero it was a Seamaster disguised as a ranchero the assistant started getting a bit agitated when I quizzed her on it .. AVOID like the plague .