Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith Jul 8, 2014

This is an interesting Omega automatic with an early (1946) 28.10 RA SC PC movement. The case reference is 2494, screw back, stainless steel. So far so good. The dial looks nice in two-tone silver with gold figures and batons, and the script and the cross-hairs seem OK -

Omega 2494 01.jpg

But (and I hope you can see it here) the "Swiss Made" at the bottom of the dial is spaced out far too widely, at least by the 1950s standard. So it must be a re-dial? (and if so a pretty old one, given the patina). Or are there any genuine examples from the 1940s with a wide-spaced "Swiss Made" like this?

Omega 2494 02.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help :thumbsup:

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 8, 2014

Quite possibly an original dial, though the images aren't large enough to be sure. The spacing that you note varied depending on the size of the six o'clock marker (or lack thereof). So the words were more widely spaced when, like in your example, there was a prominent marker. Some examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John R Smith likes this.
  3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 8, 2014

Any images of the top text?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 8, 2014

Dial looks good to me. At that time the placement or even the existence of "Swiss Made" was based on the market to which the watch was to be sold.

My Ref. 2517 with a similar dial doesn't have the phrase at all.

[​IMG]
    Omega told me that my watch was originally sold in Italy. I have concerns about the hands on OP's watch. I thought the hands would have been faceted on this model.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

John R Smith and kyle L like this.
  5. bieb1 Jul 9, 2014

Thank you for clarifying gatorcpa. My 1946 OT 2421 also has no Swiss Made on the dial and I was curious about that. This one comes from Holland.

image.jpg

6. John R Smith Jul 9, 2014

Thank you everyone for your input. I did realise that the "Swiss Made" or "Fab Suisse" or just "Swiss" (for the USA) was not always present in the 1940s. I was just a bit unsure regarding the wide spacing in my example, which of course is normal in the 1960s but not in the early 1950s Omegas which I usually pursue.

The watch in question is interesting because it is a "jumbo" case at 36mm. But the condition of the case is not too good when you look carefully, and the seller is asking $1,678 USD which I think is a bit much.