Forums Latest Members
  1. pascs Feb 28, 2013

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 28, 2013

Mmmmm.....

Be worth a look.

It hasn't actually shot up in price yet though :unsure:

3. Littleroger Feb 28, 2013

Not completely sure about this one. I thought the caseback had to be ground down before adding the mil numbers? And is the stock number correct ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362034201.000583.jpg

The dial looks correct but it is hard to believe that the hands are in that condition if you look at the dial.

What do you think?

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 28, 2013

I've seen them with numbers over the engraving and on clean backs and the stock number is one of the accepted variants.

Can't see if it has solid bars or not, maybe has one of those squeeze on bracelets.

Hands may have been corroded by moisture from the movement coming in through the centre of the dial.

Needs a lot more pics to confirm the real thing.

5. Littleroger Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Jim. What are the accepted variants you refer to? I wasn't aware of any.

I would give the bracelet the benefit if the doubt here, as it might be a push-on type. The ends are too small for the lugs. A photo of the bars would help. And, true, the water damage is possible.

Mmmh. Still doesn't "smell" right though.

6. MyVintageOmega Feb 28, 2013

Is it me or do the hour markers at 12,4,5,6,7,8,10 seem uncentered. This may be a relume IMO. I can't see this one fetching that high of a price....due to it's non-functional movement, either do to rusted hands (movement) or both. Seems it has a new seal also.

7. flame Speedmaster Neil Feb 28, 2013

Hi

If you wanted the best possible price for this piece I would have simply pulled the Extract and provided provenance.

Otherwise , surely it is just a 'punt'....

Best - Neil

8. kox Feb 28, 2013

Seller has posted better pictures in the RN300 auction.
    Caseback looks ok. In line with other ´70 examples I've seen. Seahorse was polished off on earlier issues. No shot of the inner caseback, where the reference must be 165.024. Case looks ok. The welding of the springsbars is hard to judge because of dirt and rust, but I would say it's ok. Bezel is an earlier type and has been seen on a few examples, but the one like mine below is the type most often seen. Dial is almost perfect:confused: and really not in line with the condition of the rest of the watch. The dial itself seems ok with correct T marking (could be both below and above center combined with the big triangle). Either a NOS replacement dial switched during MoD service or later. If redial then its a damm good job. Hands match bezel and watch condition, i.e. poor.
    My main concern is the serial no. 24x is really to early for a '70 issue (even with the usual Omega slack). My '68 below has a 28x serial and it's in the same series as some other examples I've seen plus Bienne has confirmed mine as delivered to the UK. Either the movement was exchanged during service or the caseback was. Anyway a mixmatch and without Bienne extract that would and should affect the price.....which I still believe will end quite high.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dash1 likes this.
  9. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 28, 2013

I do not claim any expertise in these Mil Issues.
    But here are my observations as a collector to
    add what I can to the discussion.
    Dial and hands do not match patina not even sort of.
    Dial and hands entered watch at different time.
    The dial has serious alignment issues that are not usually
    seen on Omega produced dial. Some of the hour markers
    are out of alignment with adjacent lines. The 10 and 11 hour
    markers are oversprayed quite uncharacteristically by a
    comparitively large margin. The 6 and 9 are Not as open as
    they should be. The 3 6 and 9 numbers do not seem to have
    the serif endings they should. The printing of all numbers
    looks blotchy and thick, not characteristic of the normally
    seen graphics.
    Untitled-1.JPG

Littleroger likes this.
  10. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 1, 2013

Respectable Member pitpro

Based on what you have pointed out, as well as, the opinions of other experts and enthusiasts of this forum, I think this SM 300 is a write-off.

Thank-you.

11. pascs Mar 1, 2013

Thats the great thing about this forum, the knowledge people who are willing to share their knowledge and opinions :thumbsup:

I wouldnt have bid on this watch but I'm glad that you've pointed out its short cummings and it certainly helps when looking for a vintage watch what needs to be looked at.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 1, 2013

Some excellent observations here, enough to make me re-consider.

However, some of the issues may be due to what the watch was. It was simply an instrument, and if it got busted or wasn't working properly it was repaired, not restored.

I'm aware of some watches (not British ones) being repaired by instrument fitters at base calibration centres while others were sent to local Omega agents. The technology wasn't as good as the OEM had available to them and I've seen some very average re-dials on mil watches.

Any opinions on this avenue my mind is wandering down?

13. Ludi Mar 1, 2013

Are you thinking MoD replacement dial ?

Again, without any Omega extract of archive, hard to get a 100% certainty here, but I'm willing to think pitpro made a decisive point here...

Are you a gambler ? ;)

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 1, 2013

Not without that extract tucked up my sleeve ;-)

15. MyVintageOmega Mar 1, 2013

It's a mess IMO. repainted dial at best...and not that good of a job.

16. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 1, 2013

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

I think the SM 300 is slowly becoming a sought-after diver watch, amongst enthusiasts and collectors. As a result of this, factory-original ones are seldom seen, on the market. Instead, we are presented with only the bad and ugly ones.

Thank-you.

17. Littleroger Mar 1, 2013

Already £2500 !

18. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 1, 2013

Respectable Member Littleroger

If I had the money and I am not aware there is such a forum as this to consult, out of ignorance I would also want this SM 300. How many people can differentiate between a factory-original example and a molested piece?

No surprises, this watch will fetch an unbelievable price.

Thank-you.

19. Dash1 Mar 1, 2013

I'm confused by the many mentions here of an extract settling the matter. It was my understanding that the extract would show nothing more than its delivery to the UK, with no mention of its military final destination? Am I wrong?

20. flame Speedmaster Neil Mar 1, 2013

Hi Ash

It would specify delivery to the Royal Navy (RN) & date....my 105.003 Speedmaster specifies delivery to the US Navy in '63.

Best - Neil