Forums Latest Members

Newmark '71 sports.. now launched

1. Madjam1966 Jun 8, 2019

Recently I was honoured to meet Ewan Wilson, the co-creator of the recently revived Newmark brand, to chat about and see/try on the new '71' model. He kindly brought along the silver and black faced prototypes; the blue was elsewhere for review.

The watch is simply stunning. Unlike 'just another' dive style watch (of which, these days, there are so many of course) this one is considerably different: it's not trying to be too clever or original because it's a recreation of a Newmark original from the '70s and a genuine homage to that. It's almost identical in design bar the larger size for today's market, at 39.5 mm (including bezel).

It looks and feels so good, the beveled (and sapphire infilled, 60 click ball-bearing) bezel smoothly joins the domed sapphire crystal seemlesly and is as one, as is the silky texture of the bracelet that makes the watch feel great on the wrist. The attention to detail throughout and use of a superior movement (Miyota 9015, or 9039 for the non-date variants) needs to be applauded too and the overal weight and proportions are spot on; it oozes quality. The spec, design and finish is worth every penny, even at the higher RRP after the Kickstarter campaign ends.

Ewan is a real character, an avid watch fan and collector over several decades, whose passion for all things watches, and his time and devotion to this and his previous Newmark model (6BB RAF chronograph), can only be admired and applauded. It's clear, as per his previous Newmark model, that he prides himself in wanting this watch to be special and successful, not just for himself but for his backers, with superior quality and value for money at the top of the priority list.

I don't think I read a bad word about the 6BB chrono and it will be hard pressed to find one for the '71' too I'm sure. My only 'problem' with the '71' is deciding which colourway to choose when it is launched on 18 June!

Well done the Newmark team. Looking forward to the launch, and whatever may be planned next!

More info here:

https://newmark71.newmarkwatchcompany.com/

2. Madjam1966 Jun 9, 2019

Did anyone here back the Newmark 6BB military chrono last year?

3. Madjam1966 Jun 18, 2019

4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jun 18, 2019

Madjam1966 likes this.
  5. Madjam1966 Jun 19, 2019

Early birds all gone. Over 50% funded overnight.

This is one of the best dive watches from a microbrand I've seen in a long while. It deserves to get funded for production.

Alpha likes this.
  6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jun 19, 2019

I have to agree, I have high hopes that it will be funded quite soon.

Madjam1966 likes this.
  7. Madjam1966 Jun 19, 2019

Bit of a lull today but it's only been just over 24 hours.

Ewan, the creator, is such a nice guy. This deserves to get fully funded as, like his previous 6BB model (big success), it offers so much for such little outlay.

8. Madjam1966 Jun 23, 2019

Has anyone else backed this?

9. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 23, 2019

I don't need another dive watch, but the dual-time bezel variant looks interesting.

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Madjam1966 Jun 23, 2019

Yes, I like it too.

11. Lurk41 Jun 23, 2019

Well, my wallet is now lighter...

The watch looks great, and the bracelet seems above amazing. I also liked that they do not try to make up a false story about the brand or the watch design. No BS here.
    BTW I backed up the comment about the silver no date :)

Madjam1966 likes this.
  12. Madjam1966 Jun 23, 2019

Absolutely, and no BS indeed. Some folk are coming out with ludcrious comments on KS and a few seem to have backed out which is quite puzzling in my eyes. The creator is totally transparent and his attention to detail is amazing. He's not made this to make a fortune but mainly cause he just wants to do it. Anyone backing will surely agree.

The bracelet does indeed look and feels silky smooth. Top choice from Ewan. Can't wait

Alpha likes this.
  13. Seneca51 Jun 29, 2019

I am backing this project too. I have long been looking for an affordable vintage looking new diver with the aesthetics of Eterna and Zodiac classics. Ewen is a watch enthusiast who designed the 71 for watch enthusiasts with the attention to detail and quality. Really no other dive watch on the market has this look at this price. Wow.

14. Madjam1966 Jun 30, 2019

I'm amazed it's not gaining traction as well as it should. Still confident the goal will be met though.

15. S.H. Jun 30, 2019

Because it is a 500$ (most probably) chinese watch from a microbrand, i. e. it is a one shot. Certainly well made, but it is Seiko pricing, without the Seiko behemoth behind it to ensure long term service, parts availability for regular waterproofing if you need it, etc. Non WIS wanting a diver will buy a Seiko for 300-1000$ and be done with it, WIS and dedicated amateurs already have countless options, modern, reissue or vintage.

Also, design is cool but as with all reissues, microbrand or big name, the original is always finer and better looking.

16. Madjam1966 Jun 30, 2019

I see your point and ordinarily I'd wholeheartedly agree. In this case it's a bit different as the creator/owner is resurrecting an old name and heritage/vintage is very popular with the masses right now. Added to that their 6BB military chronograph launched last year did amazingly well. I can see why the price for the 71 puts folk off but compared to a lot of junk about, this, having seen the prototype, is in a different league to other microbrands at a similar pricing level. The quality and attention to detail is something else.

Keeping fingers crossed it'll get over the line in 2 weeks so the backers will end up with the treat that'll be coming.

17. Madjam1966 Jul 3, 2019

Picking up a bit more. For something different, with a British name, in limited numbers and at such a good price it will be such a shame if it does not succeed. If you're a fan, please share around where possible.

18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 4, 2019

Surprised and somewhat disappointed that we are not a bit nearer the target at this stage.

For any that have not yet had a look at what is on offer I suggest taking a few minutes, you just may decide given the price point etc. one is for you :thumbsup:

19. cristos71 Jul 5, 2019

Man, this starts to read like an advertorial...

20. Seneca51 Jul 5, 2019

FYI, if you have been considering this watch, the owner announced this would be the only production run ever. So if you want one, you will need to back it on kickstarter before July 16. As for service and parts, this is a Miyota 9015. Massively produced. Will be no problem finding parts. Gaskets, crystals, etc. of all sizes and kinds are readily available to individual consumers through online watch supply stores. For me this one is a no brainer. A thousand dollar watch build for $400 with a very well respected movement albeit not a high grade ETA. If you like a Seiko SKX (incredible build with a reliable but low cost movement) this is that but better.