Forums Latest Members
  1. Navydiver Sep 19, 2017

hopefully this is the correct place to post this? Just acquired this in a charity shop's online auction. I've found the serial number relates to a 1950 build and it has a 351 movement. I can't figure out much more about it. It has a group of numbers hand engraved on the case back which are hard to read but look to be C12-61C with 430 underneath. The strap is not original and it needs a new strap pin. Questions are can anyone tell me anymore about it where would the case number be found and what strap would it have had originally? It seems to be running fine, maybe a bit slow.

IMG_0244.JPG image.jpg image.jpg
    joek and mikechi22 like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2017

Navydiver and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  3. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 19, 2017

A pretty thing and dependant on what you paid a really underrated watch at the moment! 2577 is a great piece of kit, can't tell if the crystal is yellowed or the lacquer has aged on the dial, either way a nice watch

Get it off that peice of tin and on a nice crocodile or calf band and wear and enjoy

Tom

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  4. mikechi22 Sep 19, 2017

Good catch! Wow! The standard advice for these old watches is to get it out for a proper service! Avoid using Omega itself; no one questions the quality of their work but they relish carving the originality out of their old watches. If you mention where you're located, someone can refer you to a good watchmaker.

As noted, the bracelet on your new acquisition ain't right! I'd get a nice alligator leather strap if it were mine. You can source period corrrect Omega buckles on eBay. Congratulations on your purchase!

5. Navydiver Sep 19, 2017

Thanks for the tips, intend to use this instead of my submariner, as an everyday dress watch. Not sure if the face has yellowed it looks a kind of gold hue. Are the 5 min markers meant to be dull or shiny? At the moment they look a kind of dull rose gold color. I'm in San Diego, so if anyone can recommend a good shop I'd be grateful. It's actually keeping better time than the Rolex at the moment!

6. Navydiver Sep 19, 2017

$240. Which seemed reasonable. I hadn't even seen it up close, just looked liked a nice older watch. No one was more surprised than me when I set the time and off it ran smooth as anything! Would this one have had the simple buckle or a clasp on the strap?

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  7. Navydiver Sep 19, 2017

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2017

Those other numbers are not related to the factory, nor seem like service dates.

9. Navydiver Sep 19, 2017

just noticed there seems to be a date scratched into the backplate above the stainless steel stamp. will have to get the loupe out to have a closer look.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2017

most likely a service date, not from Omega

Navydiver likes this.
  11. Navydiver Sep 22, 2017

Yes I think so, under the loupe it reads c12-60 and underneath +40. I've looked at any number of pictures on line and haven't found a face with the same wording stout as this one so I'm assuming it is probably a re-dial, any thoughts? As has been pointed out the second hand is non original so I wonder if it has had an overhaul at some stage in its life.