Forums Latest Members
  1. sailingjab1977 Sep 29, 2016

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, as its not new, but I would say not vintage - if it's in the wrong place let me know and I can repost elsewhere.

I have a Seamaster 2501.20 with the calibre 1109 movement which I've owned since knew (bought for my 18th Birthday by my parents).

Since new I've had an issue with it not running after a night off my wrist, a long way from the 44hrs claimed. It has been returned a number of times to Omega, and whilst it might be fine short term, it returns to its hopeless state at some point afterwards. My Rolexes work fine (16700 GMT Master 1 with the Pepsi dial, and a late issue Explorer 1) and indeed the Omega lives in the safe and I wear my GMT Master.

I decided recently to get my Seamaster out and found it won't hold its charge, and tbh feels a bit rough in winding (so haven't worn it). I've contacted Omega UK and spoke with one of their agents, who denies there is an issues with the 1109 movement (but I read there are issues with certain watches not holding their charge) and have offered to have a look at it at the UK service centre. I've requested that it be returned to Switzaland for evaluation which they will do, but in an extended return date.

This leads to a couple of questions -

Have Omega ever excepted there is an issue with the calibre 1109 movement, as my watch type was swiftly updated with the 1120 movement after about three years?

Am I better returning it to Switzaland rather than have it services in the UK by them?

Should Omega be servicing it as the cost is possibly going to be half the value of the watch?

Given its history, should I expect some contribution by Omega to the repair costs?

Can the calibre 1109 be updated to the 1120, or at least be made suitably relatable that it will last (5-10) years between a service?

Thank you for any advise.

James

Edited Sep 29, 2016
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 30, 2016

I'll do my best to answer these for you...

Not that I am aware of. I don't service them often, but any that I have there were no performance issues. These earlier movements were known to be less efficient winding than subsequent versions were, but if they are not winding under normal use, it could be because you are too sedentary. If properly serviced they wind fine with a normal amount of wearing.

Note that if the watch has stopped, it should be wound say 30 turns of the crown before you put it on and wear it.

It should not make a difference.

There are plenty of watchmakers who can service the movement, so that's completely up to you.

I can't see why they would, but you can always ask.

Not sure 100% what you are asking - if you are asking if an 1109 can have parts replaced on it to make it into an 1120, the answer would be not really. Although both are based on the ETA 2892A2, there are a number of significant differences.

If you are asking if an 1120 could be installed in place of the 1109, that is certainly doable, but since Omega produced a different case for the 1109 and 1120 versions of your watch, a new case may be required.

Also, expecting 10 years between service is going to be a bit much...

Cheers, Al