Forums Latest Members
  1. riponbk Apr 28, 2017

Hello to everyone, I have been lurking around the forum for several months soaking up information. Some time before that I decided that vintage mechanical watches, especially Omega, were going to become a part of my day to day interests. This is my first post and I have included a photo of a watch I recently acquired. It is not pristine, but is attractive. I have not done anything with it yet. I intend to have it cleaned and serviced, not to have it polished, and investigate just what the dial holds for me, or whoever does the cleaning. It is rose gold capped, in reasonable condition, with a cal.344 movement. The serial # is 14,xxx,xxx, and case ref. 2494-8, 2657 SC.

I welcome any observations or commentary the members of the very erudite forum may provide. I will provide more photos shortly if needed.

013.JPG
    efauser likes this.
  2. riponbk Apr 28, 2017

I should add that it is about 37mm across the case.

3. riponbk Apr 28, 2017

added views

016.JPG 017.JPG
  4. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Apr 28, 2017

Welcome to OF! Apologize to your wallet now because it is going to hurt after being here a while.

That is a nice looking Seamaster with a wonderful honeycomb/hobnail dial. However I would not suggest you have the dial cleaned. It looks as if someone has already attempted to clean the dial and removed a significant portion of the text. I would suggest just a movement service, a new crystal, and maybe an ultrasonic cleaning of the case.

Best,

-Jake

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 28, 2017

Do you have photos of the movement and inside the caseback?

6. riponbk Apr 28, 2017

Thanks Jake, your comments on cleaning make sense, I was looking at with two thoughts, one was about an interesting patina, almost Verdi Gris, with a greenish tinge, giving the effect that the dial was made of copper. But, it makes sense that it is more or less wear, from a bad cleaning attempt. Unfortunate

I will post photos of movement and caseback, once I get home,

Jwit likes this.
  7. riponbk Apr 28, 2017

a couple more photos, so I was out by 1mm numbers in the s/n, good memory, just short

DSC_1034.JPG DSC_1035.JPG DSC_1036.JPG
  8. riponbk Apr 28, 2017

The bleeding from my wallet has begun, this is my fourth Omega.............that's less than one per month since I got pulled in!! But my standards at this point aren't too high.

9. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Apr 28, 2017

Let's see the others! Cmon don't leave us hanging!

10. kreyke Apr 28, 2017

Ikr. The more research you do, the more you buy

11. riponbk May 1, 2017

I have definitely seen the correlation between research and spend, there are a huge amount of very compelling watches.

Here is the one that got me started. I think it was reviewed in this forum before I knew of the forum and knew anything about Omega in general other than good name. The fact that it is a bumper, appealed to me for no good reason. It is just a little tired. On the bright side it was under $100, so good to whet my appetite at a low cost.

The other photo is my fathers's 1948 Enicar Sport which has been at the bottom of something for 60 years without a crystal. I recently rehabilitated it. The other is clearly a Huguenin of ca 1955 with cal. Felsa 690. I was attracted to it because the research I did on my old Omega showed me the pie pans and other dials reminiscent of the early and mid-fifties. I quite like it, a strong contributor to fledgling watch collecting habit.

An observation, the older I get the farther I like the camera to stay away, the same holds true for some aging watches.

001.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG
  12. riponbk May 1, 2017

My second Omega, an improvement over the first.

008.JPG 013.JPG