Newbie seeking information on vintage

Hi All - I'm looking for information about an Omega watch that belonged to my father. I've been holding on to it since he passed a decade ago. The watch is engraved on the back with his initials and the date 6/28/48, which makes me guess it was a high school graduation present. He came from a modest family and I believe it was a practical gift for a young man heading out into the world.

From what I can tell from looking at pictures online, it might be vintage Omega bumper, possibly model 2438-5 with 28.10 RA movement. I got that info. from this listing:
https://www.lot-art.com/auction-lot...9/27913693-omega_bumper_2810-11.7.19-catawiki

I wound the dial today and found that the watch keeps perfect time. It could use a cleaning. Does anyone have a ballpark valuation?

Thank you for any info. you might have.

I respectfully suggest that its market value is irrelevant.

Apart from being a nice example of a 1940s Omega, it is a tangible part of your dad's life and of the times he lived in. If you sell it (and it is not worth a lot of money anyway) there will be a time when you may regret not keeping it in the family.

Have it serviced by a good local watchmaker (not Omega - it would be too expensive), get him/her to put a nice leather band put on it, and find a nice box or case to keep it in. An Omega flat case from the 1960s can be found on eBay fairly easily.

And every now and then, wear and enjoy it.

Very rough ballpark, $400-$700, but there aren't many eBay listings of a 2438 (which seems like a reasonable guess to me) that have sold recently. One needing a service sold on this forum a few years ago for under $400. https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-1940s-omega-bumper-ref-2438-4-stainless-steel.97246/
Asking prices are not usually a good reflection of actual market value. But like @lindo said, the sentimental value is so much more than its value to someone else, especially with your father's initials engraved. That's a very nice heirloom. If anyone in the family plans to wear it, have it serviced (if you tell the forum where you are they can probably recommend a watchmaker), and if you don't plan to wear it, I say just leave it as it is. If you do get it serviced, insist that they do not polish the case - that hurts the value, and besides, those are your dad's scratches.
Edited:

I have a few things from my dad - USMC Dress Greens, Dress Blues, some of his golfing gear, an Izod shirt he favored and his Hamilton watch...

the Dress Greens & Blues mean quite a bit to me but the Hamilton is priceless because he wore it during my lifetime and it's emblazoned into my memories of childhood.

If possible, keep your dad's watch.

Thank you all so much for your insights. The depth of knowledge on this forum is impressive! Much appreciated! Best, AmyH

The watch is engraved on the back with his initials and the date 6/28/48
Very nice inscription btw

thank you for sharing a sentiment with us and also the website lot-art.com. "lots" of interesting things!