Forums Latest Members
  1. balkan72 Sep 10, 2018

Hi –

I am brand new to this forum and to vintage watch buying. I own one Omega—a Seamaster Aqua Terra—that was purchased new and given to me as a gift about 12 years ago, but I would like to have a vintage watch. There are already several models that interest me but I’ve decided I would like to start with a Speedmaster Mark ii.

I’m wondering now what the best way to go about this. I am happy to pay a fair price, including maybe a little extra for true security in the legitimacy of the watch. Based on the research I’ve done so far, one option is to go to Chrono24 and find one sold by a reputable seller with lots of good reviews and a green check. But it seems a private sale might be even better if I can be sure everything is the real deal. In any event, there is only so much that I myself can understand from photos. Searching online, it seems that the ones that look the cleanest may not always be the best depending on the polishing or other work that was done?

Should I just get photos of the watch and post on here?

In any event, I am ready to move forward with this and would most appreciate any specific advice on how to go about finding my watch.

Many thanks in advance!

All the best,

Sasha

2. joso Sep 10, 2018

i think the best and safest deal could be done here, and loads of knowledge too. C24 is generally quite expensive as dealers need to make a profit. asa minimum get photos from all angles in good resolution including pictures of the movement. good luck-mark 2,s are nice affordable watches:thumbsup:

Maybe, balkan72 and dan7800 like this.
  3. Maganator Sep 10, 2018

Racing dial or standard? Racing are a bit rarer but both are frequently available.

The main issue with vintage MKIIs is that many of them have been polished within an inch of their lives - so be careful.

There is lots of information about these watches so you can do a search in the search area in this and do plenty of ready about them.

https://omegaforums.net/search/

Then, if you want, come on here with what you are considering buying - don't just say 'should I buy this?'. You will get a better response if you show that you have researched the watches and aren't just looking to get for free what members of here have spent many hours learning.

There are some for sale in the private sales section here. Find one you like and send the seller a PM. Some may be reluctant because you are a new member and have little history - but if you dont ask you dont get.

https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/

Maybe likes this.
  4. balkan72 Sep 10, 2018

OK thanks - very helpful. Yes, one of the issues is that I don't really know how to tell whether the watch has been overpolished. But I have at least done enough searching on these forums to know that's an issue.

I like both the standard and the racing dial. (the gold plated is kind of cool too, but I think I will pass on that for now!). I was assuming I would look for a standard based on price and availability but I am definitely open to the racing dial as well if the right one is available.

5. balkan72 Sep 10, 2018

Thank you!

6. dan7800 Sep 10, 2018

Sounds like you have some research to do. You need to figure out what is best for you.

7. balkan72 Sep 10, 2018

Yes absolutely - I've just now searched for examples of overpolished watches so already I have a much better sense of that. I'm researching the other things I should look for as well. Thanks!

8. dan7800 Sep 10, 2018

Remember, the fun is in the hunt

Albe100, X350 XJR and balkan72 like this.