Forums Latest Members

Newbie questions on Omega Seamaster

1. Chirri May 22, 2016

Hi everyone, I've had my Omega Seamaster Professional 300m full size for nearly 5 years (bought used) and have a few questions, when the battery has stopped working how long before it can cause any problems with the movement of the watch and how soon should the battery be replaced? What is the correct battery number and brand to be used?
    What is the correct gasket size number for the watch and what is the correct lubricant to be used?

I am hoping to change the battery myself this time as the jewellers have quoted me £98+ Vat 4-6 weeks..

Thanks

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 22, 2016

The battery should be changed as soon as the End Of Life (EOL) kicks in, so when the seconds hand no longer ticks every second, but every 4 seconds. Once the voltage drops to a point where the watch stops running, it needs to be taken out. Over time the gasket in the battery degrades and if it leaks it will cause damage.

Would need the actual reference number of the watch to give you answers to the other questions you have asked.

Cheers, Al

Chirri likes this.
  3. WatchVaultNYC May 22, 2016

I've had a quartz Aqua Terra leak even while the battery seemed to be at full strength. Given the small cost to replace the battery you should do it right away.

Chirri likes this.
  4. Chirri May 22, 2016

Thanks for replying the watch in question is a black full size seamaster 2264.50

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 22, 2016

Battery is a 395 - Omega uses Renata typically but I'm not fond of them. I personally use Maxell. Buy only from a location that has high turn over of batteries.

Case back seal is 088NS5143 - O-RING D36 D38 Ø1.

I would highly recommend cleaning off the case back before you open the watch - many quartz watches are problematic after amateur battery changes due to debris being dropped into the movement. Do not touch the new battery or any part of the movement with bare fingers, and do not short the battery by picking it up with metallic tweezers. Silicon grease only on the case back gasket.

Note that just swapping the battery is not doing the job properly, as I presume you don't have the knowledge/equipment to do proper electrical testing.

Cheers, Al

Chirri likes this.
  6. Chirri May 22, 2016

Managed to open up the case with a circlip removal tool which sat perfectly into the holes and opened up without slipping, took the battery out with plastic sharp ended tweezers and screwed everything back together until I order the battery, Luckily the battery did not leak it's a 373 renata, this was fitted from the watch lab in UK at £45.99 about 2.5 years ago. I've noticed some have said to use 371 is the 395 a more longer lasting battery.
    Sorry don't have the watch testing meter yet, but I'm hoping a few bursts of air from a pipette and a clean up using rodico will assist me in getting my watch ticking again. Any particular silicon grease, should I unscrew the winder and dab a bit of grease there.

Thanks

wsfarrell likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 23, 2016

The correct battery is a 395 - the battery used is determined by a combination of the movement and the case. If the same movement were used in a thin dress watch, it would use a different battery that is also thinner. You want the largest battery that will fit, so use the 395 for this watch.

For grease I use Fomblin personally, but any one made for watches would be safe.

Chirri likes this.
  8. Chirri May 24, 2016

Ordered the 395 Maxell battery and Anchor grease pads for the gasket and a small pot of the same grease for dabbing on the winder. Wow Fomblin grease is pretty expensive at almost £50 for 100g. should I be wearing latex, nitrile or vinyl powder free gloves when operating on a watch?

Thanking you Archer for your kind assistance.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 24, 2016

Yes