Forums Latest Members

Newbie Purchase of Premoon - advice greatly appreciated

1. toddle321 Feb 6, 2014

Hello Everyone -

I have been lurking here for a few months trying to learn all I can about Speedmaster Pro's, but I just signed up for an account today. I have a NOS 165.0024 from watchco, but this is my first foray into a real vintage Omega. Ideally I would like either a pre-moon, or a birth year watch (1980). I have been searching for a 1980 for a few weeks as it's more within my price range, but recently came across this pre-moon at a price that seems on the low side. This is a big purchase for me, so I was hoping to get a little expert advice before parting with my hard earned cash.

Price is $3,300, this is the seller's description:

A very cool original Omega Speedmaster Professional. This watch is the same model that the NASA astronauts wore when they flew their missions. Omega ref. 145 012. This one dates 1967 by the case back,movement dates 1968. Original Omega caliber 321 mechanical wind movement has 17 jewels. It winds smooth and functions well. We are providing a new generic NATO black strap pictured. The case is stainless steel. The case measures 42 x 48 mm. Case, dial and movement are signed Omega. The watch has an original Omega dial, hands and crown. The original crystal also has the Omega emblem in it. Normal wear due to age and use.

He only attached 5 pictures, I have written asking for more as well as the serial number on the movement. I have concerns with the dial, most of the ones I see have "T Swiss Made T", where this one obviously is missing the T's.

What do you guys think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Todd

omega 1.jpg omega 2.jpg omega 3.jpg omega 4.jpg

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 6, 2014

As you must know if you have spent some research time here, originality is KEY with these. The dial is not original. It appears to be a service dial with later luminous not Tritium (hence missing T's).

I stopped there but if you're still interested I'm sure others can comment on the rest of it.

3. toddle321 Feb 6, 2014

Thanks Time Exposure! That's what I was concerned with, but I know there were a lot of different variations of dials and was hoping that the dial was original. I'll pass