Forums Latest Members
  1. Mathieu_NL Apr 1, 2020

Hi Guys,

First of all, nice to meet you all! I'm a 24 year old guy who loves vintage quality goods like watches, old bikes and denim clothing. New in the scene, but love to know all history and read about every watch.

Hereby my latest catch, already in my possession and definitely not going to sell.

Here are my questions:
    - I think this is a Omega sub second around 1950's, am I correct?
    - Its a handwinder, but I don't know which caliber. Unfortunately I'm not having the instruments to open it correctly, and because of the Corona Virus, not able to go to the store to professional open it. Sorry for missing pictures.
    - I was told it was a very rare one, because its full 18k rose gold. How can I check this?
    - I also received some documents. But it isn't the certificate right? I'm not sure.
    - Last but not less important, hope to know the value so I can decide if I want to get some insurance.

Thank you guys, hope you're all still safe in this crazy period.

Mathieu.

IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1445.jpg IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1442.jpg
    DJG2645 likes this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 1, 2020

I would say it most certainly isn't the right certificate no. Firstly the watch is likely mid to late 1950s, the serial on the cert is circa 1970 and secondly that watch isn't chronometer rated (it usually says on the dial if it is) and that is a chronometer cert. Rose gold is less commonly seen than yellow gold, but I wouldn't exactly call it rare, there isn't a big premium for it in general. I don't recognise the dial design but it looks an honest piece, it has some dial issues but it does look untouched which is a plus. The drag from the second hand needs looking at and you would want to be sure it hasn't got water ingress damage, another possibility.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Apr 1, 2020

Age: later than 1952/1953 because of the modern logo. The earlier ones are rounded.
    Rarity: well, it isn't exactly a rare watch, neither is it something you are likely to stumble across again any time soon. It's a "generic" Omega gold watch, which were produced in fairly large numbers. You can check the hallmarks on the back of the lugs to see what carat the gold content is. There is no way to tell neither total production numbers nor the remaining quantity.
    Documents: the accessories shown in the photos are much later, yes.
    Value: gold weight + a few hundred dollars is probably around right.

4. Mathieu_NL Apr 1, 2020

Thanks guys for replying. After all the corona virus issues, I will go to the store for a service! Thanks for the tip.

A shame the documents are not correct. But a the end, I'm really enjoying this watch and for me that's all its worth.

If I want to know the exact date of production, I have to open the watch right? Is there a free searching machine available on the internet which I can use to check the number?

thelinendial likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 1, 2020

Yep the free searching machine is right here :thumbsup: Post the serial on the movement and we'll give you the year. The actual movement iteration can help too with dating. It will likely be a 30mm variant (26X series) but the movement evolved over the years and got a new number every so often.

Edited Apr 1, 2020
    Mathieu_NL and OMEGuy like this.
  6. thelinendial Apr 3, 2020

If you enjoy the watch that's most important. I for one, really like your choice and it's a handsome piece - gold on gold looks really dapper - with a very classic look. You've inspired me to look for similar.

And never-mind your generation, I'm in my 40's working in an office and have yet to see anybody with a vintage Omega on their wrist, and lots of people don't wear Rose Gold anymore... so I'd say in your day-to-day it's definitely rare... just probably not by the great connoisseurs here.

It's nice to see a younger generation interested in "real" watches.

Mathieu_NL likes this.