Forums Latest Members
  1. Lou Box Dec 10, 2012

Hello everyone!
    I have recently, perhaps unwisely, bought what I hope will be confimed to be a 60s Seamaster. I've got no idea as to the model, year, how to work the thing (I'm presuming it's a self wind but don't want to mess with in in case it isn't!!)
    Basically I'm wondering if you guys can help me to ascertain if it's an original - whether it's been totally overhauled or whether it's a fake and how much I SHOULD have spent on it... I bought it for my fella for Christmas because I think it's beautiful but I'm beginning to doubt myself!!
    Thanks in advance
    Lou
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 10, 2012

Hello Lou -

Welcome -

Yes, its quite genuine and dates to about 1958.

It is a hand wind, meaning it doesn't wind itself, you need to twist the crown clockwise, 30 to 40 or so full turns or until it stops twisting, don't worry you won't break it.

The dial has been refinished, but many of these have. The hands should have either a black or luminous fill as well, again not a big deal.

If you can show us a photo of the inside of the case back we could give you a bit more information.

3. Lou Box Dec 10, 2012

Thank you so much!! Very interesting. I was expecting the dial had been re-done so that's ok. I'm so pleased it's genuine!
    Just to display my newbie status - how would I open the back? (The photos are from the seller - this was an eBay buy!)
    I've just wound it and the world has not ended so that's all good. Thanks for the advice, and how often would you recommend winding? Is it best to let the watch stop and then fully re-wind or to just wind it a few times a day?
    Thank you again, so helpful!

4. Lou Box Dec 10, 2012

Ooh also, the strap that it has come with is a black leather mock-croc kind of thing. Is that the kind of strap the original would have had? Or should I be buying a different strap for it? I guess it's about taste really but I want to honour what Omega would have sold it with when it was made!

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 10, 2012

Probably best not to mess with the back, something best done by someone familiar with these.

I typically wind my watches fully when I put them on in the morning, but there's no harm is fiddling with it during the day either.

The strap really is a personal preference thing, many different styles were offered by Omega when new, just pick one you like.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 10, 2012

is it a redial, or a genuine omega service dial?

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 10, 2012

it ought to be a redial. I think I recognize the black watch pillow as a characteristic feature of pictures from timewatches4u, a Bangkok seller who, in the Zenith world at least, is known for redials. Quality is generally not terrific, as he frequently simplifies or omits details and other complex dial elements.

e.g.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-60S-Z...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item2c694b8906Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network