Forums Latest Members
  1. AustinStm Sep 5, 2017

Hey all, new to the forum.

I'm in the market for my first, and probably only, luxury watch, and I'm really digging the Omega brand. The Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch with a leather strap is probably my first choice
    357250_012.jpg

but I was kinda kicking around 304.33.44.52.01.001 (if the Dow hits 22,000 again!).

upload_2017-9-5_9-59-53.jpeg
    Earlier in the year, I was in the hospital with sepsis and barely survived. When I was coming out of my stupor, my wife brought me the Wall Street Journal, and there was an ad with our man, George Clooney, wearing the above mentioned Master Chronometer. I was like: Yes. If I make it out of here, I'm getting one of those.

Does anyone own one of these? For $10,000 plus, we're into Rolex pricing territory. How is that co-axial movement? My research shows that that movement has trouble written all over it, i.e., high cost to maintain and repair.

Help a newbie out! Thanks!

Michael

mikechi22 likes this.
  2. Jrcigar Sep 5, 2017

"and there was an ad with our man, George Clooney"

"Our" man? Hmmmm...

That issue aside, happy you are recovering and the Speedy Pro is one of the best out there! Beautiful and timeless piece.

Hey- you were septic. Forgiven

3. Shailor Sep 5, 2017

Welcome and good to hear of your recovery! My first real watch is this Speedmaster Professional. It's still my favorite. The manual winding movement is legendary. I bought it new in 1992.

IMG_0369.JPG
    mikechi22 and Jrcigar like this.
  4. Jrcigar Sep 5, 2017

Agreed

5. Jrcigar Sep 5, 2017

Like Shailor did, wish I'd bought one ... great piece.

Shailor likes this.
  6. Shailor Sep 5, 2017

7. AustinStm Sep 5, 2017

Ha! Thanks for this, it made me laugh. I didn't know George was such a pariah.
    Yea, I was so bad, they could have had Curious George wearing the piece and I would have taken it very seriously.
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking this will be a Christmas gift to m'self. Or, again, the Dow hits 22,000, whichever comes first.

8. todd.hepburn Sep 5, 2017

[QUOTE="AustinStm, post: 790284, member: 35377"
    View attachment 437040
    [/QUOTE]

I want this strap. Was it insanely expensive?

9. karalhoin Sep 5, 2017

Hey Michael, welcome and good to know you're past that health scare.

Somehow you reminded me a couple of people I know who decided to make some "fun" purchases after some close calls. Guess sometimes one realizes we have to stop stashing acorns for a bit and just pause to enjoy them.

Anyway, those are all fine choices. The Co-Axial movement is quite reliable as far as I know, and has longer service periods. I don't have that watch but have one with the 9300 Co-Axial and it's been keeping time quite well (+1.4s/day), it has almost two years.

I agree that for 10K there are a lot of choices out there, including from the coronet brand. If you care about value, I suggest you should around well and don't pay the first Authorized Dealer price you see. Find a reputable grey seller that will get you a good discount, but with a valid international warranty. You get a better price but will be totally protected by the brand services in case something arrives wrong or breaks down.

Also, take your time to shop around and get to know the models, sellers and prices. Rushing things on the first watch and going on an impulse purchase without enough due diligence is the best way to get in trouble and/or waste resources.

Edited Sep 5, 2017
    Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  10. Tik-Tok of Oz Sep 5, 2017

+1 on this. My wife bought me this watch via grey market and it worked out great.
    IMG_0661.JPG

There are reputable grey market sellers offering moon phase coaxial Omegas as well at a decent discount.

11. AustinStm Sep 5, 2017

Thanks for replies all, I really appreciate it. I'm surfing the grey market now. We'll see. I would imagine around Christmas time, folks start trading in their watches to "upgrade." Flip side is that, I would imagine, any AD discount would disappear and this lack of discount would filter through the market effecting even the grey(?). Dunno. It's fun and interesting.

12. karalhoin Sep 5, 2017

I have no idea. Christmas. Hmm. I really have no idea but it would be interesting to hear from people with more experience selling in these markets on how watch price fluctuate with the seasons (if they do at all).

13. No.15 Sep 5, 2017

You should PM a couple of the sellers here and see if they can get you the watch you want. Shailor linked you to a great seller and Kringkily is good as well (among others). You will usually get a warranty with them from an AD. Better than playing the grey market IMO.

14. karalhoin Sep 5, 2017

Hmm, I'd see anything not being an AD as being "grey market". Those sellers and others included. Basically anyone not listed as an authorized dealer at the manufacturers website.

With the main differentiator being that some grey market sellers source their stuff from ADs, providing valid manufacturer warranty cards and others don't and supply their "own" warranties (Jomashop, etc).

15. No.15 Sep 5, 2017

I can see that logic. I look at it a little different but agree that those sellers are not AD's and thus include some risk.

16. AustinStm Sep 5, 2017

Dudes, thanks. Tons of info. Already reached out to the great Sir Kringkily among others. Full speed ahead. If nothing else, a LOT of negotiating weight against the local AD. Last year, I understand the Swatch group was in a lot of trouble and the AD was willing to deal at 20% off. Let's see what happens this year. (I should mention I'm in the Philadelphia area, with, surprisingly, not a lot of Omega dealers.)