Forums Latest Members
  1. ETOMS Jun 29, 2016

Hi Everyone! Ive just signed up as Im looking to buy an Omega Seamaster for my 30th...

I came across a watch being advertised by a small watch company and wanted some advice....

Looking at the watch it has obviously had a refinished dial and crown.... am I right in thinking that the dial is incorrect for the year? The crown isnt an omega one but that isnt a huge concern but it does make me worry about other parts...

The advert says:

A 1952 Vintage Omega Seamaster automatic wristwatch. A deep stainless steel case numbered 26273SC. A textured white dial with gilt batons and hands with sweep seconds. A signed automatic bumper calibre 353 movement numbered 12918048.

If anyone can put a rough price on the watch or if its worth avoiding then Id appreciate the comments.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

1952.jpg 1952omegamrch.jpg 1952omegaright.jpg
  2. WatchmakerTheory Jun 29, 2016

I don't have much experience with this particular model at all, so please take everything I say with many grains of salt.

Yes, the dial is not original. But more importantly, I don't believe this is a chronometer movement. I've never seen Cal 353 chrono's; a cal 352 movement would be more typical here. [someone please fact check me on this]. The font also appears to be slightly off.

I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a watch that, essentially, falsely advertises itself. At best, this is a watch with some unoriginal parts. But the fact that the dial is so off raises too many questions...

3. WatchmakerTheory Jun 29, 2016

Assuming everything I said above is true, it might be better to avoid the watch unless you intend on replacing the dial.

If you're still interested in it– hey, the watch still looks fantastic– somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-400 seems appropriate.

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 29, 2016

I would pass.

You just joined, and there is SO MUCH TO LEARN!

Seeing that the watch is a treat for your 30th, you are best advised to pour over this forum and learn as much as you can. Also, the watches offered for sale on here are for the most part vetted--members watch each others like hawks, and junk watches do not end of on the FS section.

You are much more likely to get a quality piece from buying on OF than on the open market.

Best of luck and welcome. You have good taste as the watch you posted is attractive, but has way too many red flags to be considered a collector's piece. Contrary to popular belief, you can get great vintage Omegas at decent prices still!

5. ETOMS Jun 29, 2016

I appreciate the comments guys, just looking through the watches for sale on here has put a lot of doubt in my mind about this watch.... like you say, I have A LOT to learn :)

WatchmakerTheory likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Jun 29, 2016

Interesting screen name, sort of like a military acronym for some type of explosive projectile.

"Hey Sarge, the bastages are holed up in that reinforced bunker!"

"Hit it with an ETOMS private. That'll fix'em."

"Yes SIR!"

ETOMS likes this.
  7. novina Jun 29, 2016

If this is a 2627, than here:

INTERNATIONAL COLLECTION

DIMENSIONS

CASE

Gold-cap on stainless steel

CASE BACK TYPE

Screw-in

DIAL

De luxe, luminous (radium), with hand-rivetted gold hour markers, "Dauphine" hands and gold date-window frame.

CRYSTAL

Armoured hesalite

BRACELET

Leather

FUNCTION

MOVEMENTS
    TYPE

Automatic (mechanical)

CALIBER NUMBER

OTHER
    Caliber number: 353 / 355
    Formerly called "28,10 SC"
    Cal. 353
    Created in 1950, 17 jewels
    Cal. 355 (chronometer)
    Created in 1953, 17 jewels
    Both

TECHNICAL DATA

WATER RESISTANCE

30 meters

So a 353 is not a chronometer. And as said previously, the dial is redone. Not much value here as a collectible piece or investment. Looks real nice though, so as a daily wearer, maybe $250-$300. Remember, the movement should be serviced before extended use. Normally at $250 for that.

Stay around and learn.

+1 for looking in the For Sale thread here.