Forums Latest Members

New watch makes you appreciate your old watch?

1. Flingit1200s Apr 28, 2016

A couple weeks ago I bought a used PO 8500 42mm and have been wearing it almost non stop. Its a great watch and I am happy with the purchase (although I am thinking it needs the original bracelet). Looking at some of the Speedy shots this morning, though, I definitely have an even stronger attachment to my Speedy 3570.50. If I were forced to get rid of all watches except one, I would keep old Speedy for sure. Care to share your own variation of this story?

PO
    IMG_1575.JPG

Speedy
    IMG_1064.JPG

2. karalhoin Apr 28, 2016

I got a DSOTM three weeks ago and somehow it made me appreciate my other watch (I only have two) more. The DSOTM was a lot more expensive, has more pedigree and is considerably more accurate, but somehow, I really miss wearing the other one and feeling the weight of the stainless steel. It makes me wonder if it was worth putting a lot more money in a watch that despite being nicer, doesn't necessarily provide 4x more joy.

On the other hand, perhaps it takes a while to build a relationship with a watch. One literally has to share time and go through stuff to make things special. Any watch just out of the box will probably lack that.

My 2c, perhaps people who have been upgrading for years can share better feedback :)

Flingit1200s likes this.
  3. abrod520 Apr 28, 2016

You'll begin appreciating them both once you figure out which one goes best with different shoes / outfits / situations etc :)

Foo2rama and Flingit1200s like this.
  4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 28, 2016

I have a simple approach to watch-buying: it has to be so appealing to me that I know I'll feel bad leaving it off while wearing a different watch. It has been a very effective approach.

Syrte, jsaen, Badwolf and 3 others like this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 28, 2016

I appreciate all of my old (i.e. vintage) watches every time I pass a window displaying contemporary models. :rolleyes:

patrick1616, kyle L, Deafboy and 7 others like this.
  6. Flingit1200s Apr 28, 2016

Every time I think I have it figured out, Mrs Fling corrects me. We are volunteering tonight at a fund raiser and the invitation said dress was to be "Elegant Casual" (wth?). Mrs is in charge of determining what the definition of "Elegant Casual" is and then apply that to my wardrobe (ie...she will tell me what to wear....;)).

@karalhoin I only have the two Omegas as "nice" watches and I paid nearly the same for each. I can definitely see myself in your shoes had I paid full retail for the PO.

@Jones in LA that would be hard for me as I find I don't truely know how I feel about a watch until it has had several days of wrist time. Your approach definitely helps one be financially responsible!

@Tony C. I'm not counting out the fact that this may happen to me one day as my watch tastes mature. The biggest hurdle I have with vintage is the size. A 36mm watch on a larger wrist doesn't appeal to me yet.........

noelekal and Jones in LA like this.
  7. abrod520 Apr 28, 2016

It's true it gets more complicated once the boss weighs in, but right down to the watch? Nasty :eek:

8. VicLeChic Apr 28, 2016

As much as I enjoy daily rotation to match attire or mood, sometimes I feel like wearing one piece for several days. It's like wanting to leave your footprint on it, wanting to bond and get to know it better.

Which brings me to the idea that sometimes a smaller collection is maybe plenty enough.

With regards to appreciating older pieces more when new ones join the collection, I didn't quite experience it. My latest acquisitions tend to be more researched and I just know better what I really want.