Forums Latest Members
  1. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Feb 27, 2015

I'm stuck between what to make my next purchase and first Omega... I currently have a Breitling Avenger silver/white dial, a Longines HydroConquest blue and a black Tag Aquaracer WAN2110. I was planning on selling my Tag and picking up a new black SMP 300m as an upgrade since they are close in looks.
    But then decided to branch out and open the wallet a bit. I started looking at the PO's and I immediately loved the one with orange numbers 12, 9,6.
    Someone suggested the Moonwatch which at first look (in photos) just seemed nice but didn't jump out at me.
    Then I started to do some research and love the history behind the Speedy. Also love the fact it's manual wind and the way the crystal and bezel were crafted above the case. It took me seeing the watch in person to appreciate it and find it attractive and super versatile. I'm just afraid I won't be satisfied since its looks didn't give me goosebumps at first glance...
    Also want to know for the price I'm paying I'm getting the best technology that omega can offer. Also why I'm comparing the PO's ceramic bezel, 8500mvmt and price to what I'm getting in the Moonwatch.

Thoughts and input?

2. OmegaRookie Feb 27, 2015

I'm biased by my purchases but I'm a real fan of the 42 mm Planet Ocean. As my avatar shows I have the Orange bezel but the Orange numbers and ceramic bezel are really nice. Pay attention if you're looking at PO's though. When you look at the dial, if the word Seamaster is orange, it has the 8500 movement. If it's silver, the watch has the older 2500 movement. The 8500 watches also have the sapphire case back.
    I know exactly what you mean about the Speedmasters. I love the history but they just don't sing to me when I look at them the way the Seamasters do

3. Maximus84 Feb 27, 2015

Is that a Calibre 321 in your avatar? I think (maybe) that says something. I get that the classic Moonwatch doesn't have all the latest tech etc, it's a dilemma I struggled with as I was contemplating a new Co-Ax Racing instead.

In the end, the history and heritage won me over (not to mention the timeless looks) and I figured if it's good enough for Buzz and Co., and has stood the test of time, it's good enough for me. It's clear, however, that Omega has been dining out on the NASA connection since though. Anyway, turns out, my Speedy Pro runs at a pretty consistent +2 secs per day as well, which is unbelievable!

Don't get me wrong, I do like the PO, and if I had bigger wrists and could be confident I could pull one off, I'd definitely consider one. Not over the Speedy though. Just my 2 cents.

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 27, 2015

Sounds to me that the speedmaster isn't really for you.
    A movement designed decades ago, plastic crystal, hand wind, It really doesn't have much going for it does it?

5. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Feb 27, 2015

Well... I love it's history, I love the crystal design, I love it's versatility, I actually prefer manual wind because it would be nice to not have to re-set it like all my auto watches when I swap them up mid week(don't own a winder). Not really sure what my dilemma is...
    I guess I'm afraid of regretting either one. I can see my own argument for wishing I had gotten the new and modern technology of the PO vs a timeless and modern masterpiece like the Speedmaster. And I would probably go for a sapphire sandwhich because I work in sometimes industrial environment and really want the scratch protection. Unless someone can convince me to stick with a hesalite.

6. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Feb 27, 2015

Oh I didn't know about the orange lettering referencing the watches movement, thank you.

Decisions like this seem so petty until you kick yourself later for buying the wrong one. And at these prices you really don't wanna get it wrong!

OmegaRookie likes this.
  7. SeanO Feb 27, 2015

then I'd suggest you've already chose the orange PO.

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 27, 2015

Yup, sounds like you've already made the decision.

We will all wait here for pics.

Frunkinator likes this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 28, 2015

I agree that just on your writing alone you seem to be already decided....both are great watches, you can also hand wind the 8500 by the way and in any event the power reserve fully wound is about the same as the hand wind reserve so you're fine parking it for a couple of nights.

Don't let the legend of the speedy sway you, at the end of the day you wear a watch, not a legend ( unless you buy a historic piece). Sooner or later you may get the need for speed call and then you can take your time to find the exact model you want that calls you as much as the PO....because, let's face it, no one stops at one Omega....

10. micampe Feb 28, 2015

can we put this in the title of the forum? I had no idea when I joined and now I have four.

Edited Feb 28, 2015
    Mark Farrell and oddboy like this.
  11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 28, 2015

On the speedy, look at some of the limited edition speedys, they certainly sing a different tune, at least for me. I have two and do not own the standard speedy.

On manual wind, I thought this would he an issue, but then reality set in...you will eventually own more Omegas than you can possibly wear and you will find yourself setting the time on your watch each day irrespective of it being an automatic or mechanical watch.

On the PO, wow I just love mine. I have the 2500 version. Only drawback for me on this one is the AR coating as it displays scratches very easily. At least for me. But this is just an awesome looking watch.

An to Sergio's comment. "...Let's face it, no one stops at one Omega...". Lol, when I read that one. This is a fact, so really not an if, but a when you purchase your next Omega. So buy you PO and then pick up a copy of " moon watch" so you can plan out your next purchase.

Or better, I would try to do a get together with some others on this board. You will get to see/touch some really cool watches.

Frunkinator likes this.
  12. repoman Feb 28, 2015

100% you should go with the Planet Ocean based on your first post. The PO is an incredible watch, almost the perfect watch (and this coming from a fledgling Speedmaster collector that can admit the truth). Contact @Kringkily here on the forum, he's a watch dealer of the highest reputation and can get you into a watch far less than just about anywhere else with confidence. Your local Omega authorized dealers can get you into a new PO for about 10% off retail, maybe a bit more, or you can go with the full Omega boutique experience in which case you can get about 5% off. Really, can't go wrong any way you slice it. Life is short, just do it.

13. bmurphy858 Feb 28, 2015

I have to agree. I have had a PO for almost 10 years now. It is a TANK of a watch. It will take anything you throw at it. I love mine.

Frunkinator likes this.
  14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 28, 2015

All this talk about POs....

It is a tank. But I just love the look.

BTW, this is my third time today changing watches. My wife noticed and I told her this was normal behavior. She said for who, and don't count those on this message board. I told her we are the 0.001%ers that change watches several times daily, but most likely it was normal behavior for 75% of us.

IMG_20150228_155212.jpg

Omegawd, Frunkinator and bmurphy858 like this.
  15. bmurphy858 Feb 28, 2015

You just have to love it!!

16. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Feb 28, 2015

Stopped into a local AD.
    I hate having to choose!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 28, 2015

You don't choose one over the other, you choose the order in which to get them.

18. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 28, 2015

@oddboy speaks the truth.

Its been 5 weeks since my last watch purchase. I have several on my eBay watch list. :).

Omegawd, Frunkinator and OmegaRookie like this.
  19. yinzerniner Mar 2, 2015

Given you're inclinations in the initial post I'd also have to echo the prevailing sentiment and say you should go for the PO. It seems like it really sings to you, and it will be more versatile than the Speedy. However I was in the same boat as you as the Speedy really needs to be seen and tried on for a true appreciation of its merits.

20. OmegaRookie Mar 2, 2015

Mine with a Hirsch Robby band image.jpg image.jpg

italy1861 likes this.