Forums Latest Members

New watch box for my military watches

1. river rat Apr 30, 2021

I saw this WW1 British Navy ditty box on eBay about a month or more ago. And came up with a crazy idea make it a watch box. So I bought it. It took for ever to come from England to the USA. So been a slow project. It was missing the lock those old fashion locks with a skeleton key. I bought three off eBay of different sizes. Two were close one was to small. Two the key position was right one I would have to do some wood removal on box and lid The other the lock fit like a glove but the top brass piece I had to grind a little brass off to fit that was the one easy and did not have to remove any wood. Then to cut the foam I used one of those electric meat carving knife cut it like butter. Not done yet I ordered some watch pillows when I get them there precut so you can use your hands to make the holes so when I get them I will be done. Good for four watches and a section for watch straps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]\
    How I received it
    [​IMG]
    My idea for four watches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New lock
    [​IMG]
    Foam before cut to size
    [​IMG]
    Foam installed.
    Just ordered these watch pillows when I get them I will size it to fit. A cool box for military watches. The box has history just like the watch inside. And one section for watch straps. When I was in the Navy we had a small ditty bag nothing like this the US Navy gave us a cheap cloth bag with string on it and called it a ditty bag. The old Navy got better stuff issued to them. Has the sailors name on a brass plaque this use to belong to. Kind of cool I think.
    Watch Pillow 10Pcs Velvet Small Bracelet for Watch Box Jewelry Display Storage | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Apr 30, 2021
  2. Vitezi Apr 30, 2021

Awesome watch box! ::love::

3. SkunkPrince Apr 30, 2021

Future reference for others reading: LOCKSMITH.

4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 30, 2021

Great idea :thumbsup:

5. river rat May 15, 2021

Done. Got the watch pillows for the box the other day was easy to cut hole for the watch pillows. Since a WW1 British Navy box so WW1 watches storage.
    [​IMG]

6. ChiefMark May 17, 2021

Love it! Great outcome, nice work!

7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 17, 2021

Well done indeed… looks great and what a fit to the watches, couldn’t be better. Beats a sterile modern one every time.