Forums Latest Members
  1. cwg1120 May 19, 2015

Hi,

I should have joined OF long time ago, but I only used watchuseek forum till now.
    However, I found out that there are so much good information, and members have so much knowledge in OF especially in vintage omega watches.
    So, I decided to join and ask some help from you guys!
    I have been looking for an orignal connie piepan for years and finally I won an auction on ebay.
    I observed many original connies and studied a lot to get an authentic one, but I really need some expert's opinion now since I am about to send payment.
    The seller mentioned that the watch is 5X signed and in very good condition.
    Please take a look at the link and photos to give me some advice.

Link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

qweq.jpg qww.jpg eqwe.jpg ee.jpg

qweqw.jpg
    axiale likes this.
  2. marturx May 19, 2015

Hi & welcome!

Nice watch you got there

cwg1120 likes this.
  3. j.allen May 19, 2015

Holy moly. I want one, but it's hard for me to justify spending more than $600 dollars on a single purchase. Looks like somebody was careless with the case opener on the back. Unfortunate, but it's the back. Dial is immaculate.

cwg1120 likes this.
  4. Traveler May 19, 2015

Nfw congrats!

cwg1120 likes this.
  5. TNTwatch May 19, 2015

Bezel has been polished a bit much and no more bevel edges, crown is of incorrect style and colour. Otherwise a clean and nice watch.

6. cwg1120 May 20, 2015

Thanks for your advice!
    I am thinking about changing the crown to 10 sided crown, so trying to find one on ebay.
    Is bevel edge would be a problem?
    Can I also restore this part?

7. cwg1120 May 20, 2015

Thank you guys for welcoming!

8. marturx May 20, 2015

Upper case has been polished, but IMO not overpolished
    I´m not sure I can agree that the beveled edges is gone, but if it cannot be restored without a new case job performed by a skilled casemaker. And it´s not worth it on a watch like this. I cannot see the need for it either

cwg1120 likes this.
  9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 20, 2015

I'm afraid the bezel polishing has been quite severe (or it is a non-omega replacement) - no way to fix this unless you find a new correct bezel or a new case. Here is how the bezel should look like:

[​IMG]

toddle321, Hijak, marturx and 2 others like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 20, 2015

Stainless steel bezel is discontinued, but the Extranet does show a pink gold plated bezel available - 082CE14393. You could possibly remove the plating on it.

Cheers, Al

11. TNTwatch May 20, 2015

The OP's watch has a gold capped case with the bezel in 14K solid gold, which is soft and usually gets worn out through wear or polishing, but quite costly to replace new and hard to buy used. The bezel above looks very flat and much more worn out than the lugs so it may have possibly come from another watch model or be a non-genuine item altogether. The pictures are too flashy to see any details there.

12. cwg1120 May 20, 2015

Thank
    So you believe that the watch is in a condition that I can wear it for a period of time?
    It is so confusing for me.
    Vintage watches are too hard to understand there qualities...

13. cwg1120 May 20, 2015

Thanks for your information!
    I requested the seller to provide me some more pictures.
    But he told me that the watch does not need any restoration and the watch is in mint conditon.
    I will post the pictures when I get them from him.
    I really need your advice on this!

14. cwg1120 May 20, 2015

Everything is so confusing now.
    I have been looking for a good condition piepan and I am fraid that it is not what I have been looking for...
    I am willing to wear the watch for a long period of time.
    Should I get this? or pass for the better one in good condition?

15. TNTwatch May 20, 2015

It's just the bezel, either worn out or incorrect replacement, so don't worry too much. If it were better or correct, the price would've been much higher in an open auction for a nice watch like that. You can still wear the watch without replacing anything, if you don't mind. But if you care about correct vintage, then the bezel issue has to be worked out eventually.

The current crown is more usable than the 10-sided one, so you can just keep using it until when you want to replace it. The crown on Mike's watch is also correct and more usable, which I'd prefer for this watch, but replacement is hard to come by.

Geo! likes this.
  16. marturx May 20, 2015

To be honest, I didn´t notice the lack of bevel on the bezel....

I still don´t think it´s a big issue though.

It all come down to how anal you are about originality. And if you aim at getting a specimen that would be approved of by the hardcore Connie collectors, then it´s a NOS specimen, or close to, that you shall have.

Place a WTB ad here, and see what someone would be willing to part with, and what it will cost you

cwg1120 likes this.
  17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 20, 2015

Don't beat yourself up, the watch is a very nice example, the polished bezel wouldn't be a deal killer for me, especially for something you intend to wear daily.

cwg1120 likes this.
  18. j.allen May 20, 2015

I was going to question whether the cases were the same, but if I look closer it appears they are. The edges on this black one are sharper. If you look on the lower part of the bezel I think you see a little hint of that edge in the 6 o'clock area, but this could also be a reflection.

cwg1120 likes this.
  19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 20, 2015

I recall making this same statement about 2 years ago.

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 20, 2015

Is it mint? Not even close.
    Ok to used daily? Sure.
    Interesting to the serious vintage omega collector? No.
    Price fetched? Appropriate for condition.

cwg1120 likes this.