Forums Latest Members

New to omega, wondering about loose bezel

1. Reina Apr 21, 2016

Hey guys, I'm new to the omega game, the only watch prior I've owned was from Tudor and it is now resting easy. I got a new seamaster diver 300m at an AD, love the watch it is on my wrist all the time now, but I noticed when I tap the bezel there is some movement. Is there any way to get this fixed within the parameters of warranty or is it not something considered a big problem? Thanks guys!

genevawatch03 and meganfox17 like this.
  2. meganfox17 Apr 21, 2016

Hi @Reina

You're not the ex-Liverpool Goalkeeper are you ?
    [​IMG]

Hmm...Am I the 1st to reply ? Dunno..

So basically are you asking whether the bezel should be tighter & rock solid ?
    I know the bezel in the PO is easier to operate with a nice "Click" sound compared with a SMP which i feel is a little tighter but that's just the engineering design itself so no worries. SMPs have variations from bezel to bezel just like the other models so thats cool too
    Can you be more specific with regards to the movements you mentioned ?
    ● Is it side to side play kindda like wobbling ?
    ● Is it up & down movements kindda like bouncing when you are pressing it down from any side ?
    Dont worry Reina ! Once i put this thread right up the order The Omega SOS Calvary will come ' galloping ' towards You !

All the Best Buddy !

Edited Apr 22, 2016
    Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  3. BruceTheManLee Apr 21, 2016

I have a 300MC and the bezel is a tiny bit loose compared to Rolex or TAG or Breitling. But I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The click spring is different. There is very slight movement. I checked with OB and the watchmaker didn't find anything wrong. he said he could remove bezel and check it out and perhaps tighten, if possible, but I just said leave it and I would have him look at it when I overhaul the watch in the future.

Anyways, if you do a search online it seems this is somewhat common in the Seamaster 300 - but I'm not sure if this is normal

Would I have preferred tighter? Probably, but it wasn't a big deal - at least not right now

Hope that helps

genevawatch03 likes this.
  4. neekon Apr 21, 2016

I have a concurrent experience to the one posted above. I have a 300MC Ti and the bezel is a bit looser than I would like. I too took it to a OB and they said they could try and tighten it, but it wouldnt help, even got to try out some of their in store models. After a short period of time, it doesnt even bother me and I dont even notice it anymore

5. Canonball Apr 21, 2016

I have the Diver 300 M Co-Axial 41 mm 212.30.41.20.03.001
    Mine has the same tapping? movement at the 30 mark, I did worry about it, but it seems most have it
    anyhow very nice watch, enjoy

6. Reina Apr 22, 2016

It's just vertical, tapping it makes a noise but it's not bad at all. Thanks for the replies, if it seems normal I'm just gonna leave it how it is. I never had to send a watch in for warranty until my Tudor ate it from old age,so I don't think I'm going to do anything with my SMP. Love this watch on a nato strap though!

7. genevawatch03 Sep 19, 2017

Greetings; I do have a tapping movement around mark 30 as well . It makes a slight metallic noise of the watch tapping itself(but sometimes it almost does not make any noise at all, sometimes a bit more). My SMPc is 6 months old . I would like to know if your bezel is still in perfect shape as of today, or became worse ? This spring / slight bouncy effect seems to always be there at mark 30 and around. Sometimes with some metallic noise and sometimes it is rather very quite (it is not very consistent in terms of noise). Could you please tell me about your experience on this because it is such a lovely watch near perfect ( exept the bezel perhaps ?)

8. Canonball Sep 19, 2017

I wear the watch daily, and its now about 17 months old, the taping at the 30min mark is still there, and has not got better or any worst, I don't even notice it much. time keeping has got better over time, i only reset it now when there is 30 days in the month. really happy with it.

9. genevawatch03 Sep 20, 2017

Thank your feedback very interesting. The watch is so perfect in itself so when something seems "not that normal" we start wondering if it is a problem. It is not noticeable unless we press the bezel on purpose. But still, I can understand why people may get concerned about it. Apparently no seamster ceramic has a perfectly stiff bezel ? Yeah mine is +3,5s a day

10. panaitchrono Sep 21, 2017

On my PO the bezel was turning on both directions and more advanced users of the forums told me that it's not difficult to repair so I presume in your case it's the same..but I didn't repair mine :)

11. gvids Sep 27, 2017

Don't think you should worry, as long as the bezel lines up tightly with the hour/minute markers on the dial, you should be fine. I have examined a few of these, and all have a bit of give in the bezel. You do hear some negative comments about the bezels on this SMPs, but truthfully I think the bezel action is excellent. You really appreciate it when you get the watch off the bracelet and on to a strap...much easier to grasp.

Cheers,

G

12. Dr.Tautology Jan 7, 2018

Just got a new SMPc and mine has a fraction of a mm of play in the counter clockwise rotation. If I tap on the bezel at the 12 and 3 o'clock position I also get a tapping sound where the bezel contacts the case. Might check with the AD at some point and see if it is normal while still under warranty. Looks like there are a few people with the same sort of thing, would like to hear from more owners.

13. gvids Jan 7, 2018

That would be a consistent finding. As long as the bezel lines well with the chapter ring I don’t think that is a flaw. You get over it quick :)

14. Dr.Tautology Jan 7, 2018

Oh yeah, there is perfect alignment. That would be one thing that would annoy me to no end. Consensus for dive watches seems to be that rotational bezel play is present in most watches. Just a result of the mechanism itself. I do have a Squale 1521, and that bezel indexes solid as can be with no discernable play. I guess it doesn't necessarily follow that a watch several times the price would have the same or better action.

15. tasug1 Jul 11, 2022

Hi all ,

I am also new to omega. I just bought 2022 omega seamaster 300m with black dial rubber strap a week ago Very amazing watch. But seems like my bezel also have same problems. No idea is it really normal?

1. The bezel a bit like loose have very small rotational play as well.

2. When i gentle tap the bezel, also have like knocking metal sound.

3. Bezel also have like side to side movement, its like wobbly but its not.

I try to find out on internet, some people also have same problems. I also ask the second hand watch dealer, he said he got 10 omega seamaster and all bezel must be like that.

So all my concern above, is it really normal? Are all omega seamaster bezel really like that? I really want to hear from you guys. Thank you so much

I found this video on internet, exact same watch with the problem is identical to mine.

Edited Jul 25, 2022
  16. SkunkPrince Jul 11, 2022

If you go looking for "problems", you will find them.

The bezel moves. It needs clearance to do that. Why in heaven's name would you be banging on your watch like the person in the video? Since the experts have said it's not a problem, I think you can believe them.

Your watch is perfectly fine.

the_drunk_dial likes this.
  17. tasug1 Jul 11, 2022

Thx bro

18. PandaSPUR Jul 11, 2022

I think its a tradeoff between usability and "aesthetics"

My ceramic PO has similar movement if I tap it. However its much easier to rotate than my other divers, without being too easy to the point where it gets accidentally rotated.

My Breitlings for example require me to get a serious grip on the damn bezel in order to turn them. Like four fingers on the bezel to turn instead of just using my index + thumb.