Forums Latest Members

New to forum and Uni-Compax check

1. dash700 Aug 20, 2020

Hi everyone, long time lurker and first time poster here! I've caught the UG bug last year and has been window shopping ever since. This an amazing forum and thank you so much for posting useful information for authenticating Universal Geneve watches. Without this forum I would certainly be wearing a terrible redial straight from the eBay.

I'm scoping this watch from Lorogiese and would love to hear your advice if it's complete and original. The link to the listing is: https://www.lorologiese.com/en/chro...ompax-ref224100-steel-chronograph-cal285.html.

Here are a few "UG newbie" observations that jump to my mind:
    - The second hand color seems to be off compared to other hands. It also doesn't have a "teardrop" on the bottom, it looks like a hand from a much more recent watch (e.g. 60s) than a 1945 vintage
    - The grooves on the Chronos sub-dials appear to be present and the numbers font seems to be consistent
    - The hour markers and numbers on the dial are not "raised" like they are on comparable watches
    - The lettering seems to match other Uni-Compax of that era

To be fair, the seller mentions that it's an "older restored dial". How good/bad is this restoration? Does it significantly affect the value of the watch?

Thank you!

uni-compax.jpg
    isnardi and Diabolik like this.
  2. ELV web Aug 20, 2020

It is a redial, font lines are fat. Pointy 4 in subdial etc.

Mark020 and dash700 like this.
  3. dash700 Aug 20, 2020

Ah bummer - and thanks for the tip on pointy 4s, going to add that to the list of things to watch out for. Do you know if Universal Geneve ever had an option of such dial style for Compax: black with red/rose gold lettering?

4. Dan S Aug 20, 2020

The seller indicates that it's a redial if you read the listing.

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 20, 2020

You are correct in saying the Chrono Hand is 1960’s ...if you are prepared to jump in, you really ought to buy a copy of Sala’s book. It’s short money compared to the cost of a good watch.

dash700 and Woops like this.
  6. Woops Aug 20, 2020

100% this. These days even some original UG boxes and buckles can make Sala’s book look like short money, never mind the watches.

7. dash700 Aug 20, 2020

Thanks for the book recommendation, yeah agreed these watches are a bit more difficult to assess than modern watches. I emailed the author to get one :)

Appreciate everyone pitching in with the analysis. I originally really liked the color of the dial and was hoping "older restored dial" could mean someone doing the restoration professionally (e.g. cleaning, paint touch up). But it looks like a complete repaint or possibly a replacement... Note that on chrono24, where this watch is also listed, the seller states it's "Rare and original" (https://www.chrono24.com/universalg...100-steel-chronograph--cal285--id13214468.htm).

8. bgrisso Aug 20, 2020

As others have already said, it’s a redial, plus the chrono sweep and the crown are wrong.

dash700 likes this.
  9. Diabolik Aug 21, 2020

Welcome dash70 ...

dash700 likes this.