Forums Latest Members

(New) Speedy Racing - Why so unpopular?

1. Maximus84 Sep 23, 2014

Good morning all,

I am new to the site and pretty much new to high-end watch ownership. I have a vintage Constellation that was my grandads I'm trying to get some information on, but that's for another thread!

I've always liked Omegas and with my 30th fast approaching, I though it would be a good opportunity to own a special, mechanical watch that can stand the test of time (if you'll pardon the pun).

I prefer the Speedmaster line, and during my research found this particular version (http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/new_model_omega_speedmaster_racing_chrono_32630405001001.htm).

I like how how it has a modern movement, with co-axial, auto, Si-14 etc, sapphire crystal and a fresh look on the dial.

It it seems there isn't a lot of love for that particular line though. Is it because it is too far removed from the original 'Moonwatch'? Does the varied colour palette 'cheapen' the Speedy brand? Is it too small at 40mm (this fits my skinny wrists perfectly, btw).

I like the relatively understated all black dial in the link above - a fresh take on a classic or a divergence that does not stay true to the brand?

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of those worth more knowledge and experience of the brand; to gauge the perception amongst those who 'know'.

I look forward to your comments.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2014

Mate there is honestly nothing wrong with those at all.

In years past, Omega sold the Moonwatch, (the 42mm Speedmaster Pro) and then they sold a slightly smaller 40mm automatic called the Speedmaster reduced. Now the Speedmaster reduced looked very very similar to the Moonwatch but critically it had a "piggyback" chronograph movement (a base time only movement with an add-on chronograph module attached to the top of it). Because of this, the "reduced" was an expensive watch to service as the piggyback module was typically cheaper to simply replace than maintain. It is also looked upon as an inferior or less sophisticated approach to a chronograph and as such while a solid seller was quite unloved by the collector world.

Now that's not all its fault either, much like the Porsche Boxster, the Speedmaster reduced and the later Speedmaster Date, Mark series and other Speedmasters all had the misfortune of sharing a name with one of the most legendary chronographs in history, and for most collectors the Speedmaster will always be the Moonwatch with the calibre 321/861/1861 hand-wound movement in the same way that Porsche enthusiasts consider the 911 to be the only model that matters.

These new racing models though have a 7750 base which is an excellent and robust basis for any chronograph and frankly I think they look really cool too, they're a great watch and well worth owning.

3. Maximus84 Sep 23, 2014

Thank you for the full and prompt response!

As as my first foray into mechanical watches, I have done a lot of research (including browsing the first 26 pages of this forum!) and just wondered why there didn't seem to much discussion, or many owners of this line around.

Might I be correct in saying the 3330 is an integrated chrono then, as opposed to the 'piggyback' style you mentioned above?

I have become quite aware of the history of the line, the heritage and collectibility of certain models/movements etc and have found it interesting.

I would like this watch to be a keeper, something I can wear daily and can keep for many, many years to come. This is why the features above seemed to tick the boxes. It's not intending to be the start of a collection, but you never know!

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2014

Yeap 3330 is an integrated chronograph design

5. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2014

I don't know if I'd call it "UNpopular", it's just not AS popular as other model Speedmasters. I happen to like the size of the automatics better than the manual wind Speedies too, but since I already own a Valjoux 7750 inside a 39 mm Breitling there was no sense having two watches with the same movements. If there were no Breitling in my box, there very well might be an Omega 3211.31 like this:

3211-31-2.jpg
    3211-31-1.jpg

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2014

They are cracking good value those, as well as the MK40 series triple-date Speedmasters

citizenrich likes this.
  7. Cozzer Sep 23, 2014

Unpopular means uncommon, i would prefer to stand out from the crowd. Unpopular now also means highly sort after in the future as it will be a rarer piece. Having said that, you wanna buy my racing? ;)

Privateday7 likes this.
  8. Maximus84 Sep 24, 2014

Thanks for the responses guys.

I do do like the look of that 3211.31 (as I like the look of many other watches I've seen throughout my research). although intending to be a single, keeper piece, the Racing may end up being the start of a collection!

Cozzer - wrong dial/strap option for me I'm afraid. I did try on the one with the grey dial and liked it more than I thought I would, but the all black is still the one for me I think. The only slight reservation I have is the hands being silver rather than white - in some pics they don't stand out against the black very well but I guess it all depends on how they catch the light.

9. ctime3 Sep 25, 2014

Interesting comments from everyone. Lately I do see many people trying on the panda and yellow a mms black at the boutique