Forums Latest Members

New Speedmaster winds then keeps stopping

1. Bubbafw Jul 3, 2015

Bought a new Omega Speedmaster (1st Omega in Space Limited Edition) Manual Wind Dec 2014. My regular practice has been to wind daily until reaching the stop. Recently the watch has kept stopping 4 or 5 times after this, I reset the time and it will then resume sometimes it will make it through to the next day. I took it into an authorised dealer who sent it back to Omega (Southampton). They claimed that they put it on test and could not find a fault so sent it back. Dealer has said if have issues bring it back in and they will request further tests/investigation. Question is has anyone had a similar issue and how was it resolved.
    This is my 1st manual wind as I've always wanted a Speedy, my other Omega's are all/have been Automatics

jimL00dy and fskywalker like this.
  2. Canuck Jul 3, 2015

I am assuming that "winding it daily until reaching the stop" means that you are turning the winding crown until it absolutely WILL NOT TURN ANY MORE! If that IS what you are doing, that is correct. Some folks only wind until the winder begins to feel a bit tighter. That is WRONG! Your watch should run for about 40 to 44 hours on a full wind. Generally, if there is something wrong with a watch that is being properly wound that causes it to stop, it won't re-start with winding. So, wind it TIGHT. Omega (nor anyone else) can fix a watch that stops from inadequate winding!

fskywalker likes this.
  3. Bubbafw Jul 3, 2015

I wind it until the stop listening to the 'ratchet' sound no resistance prior to a definite stop, usually at least 20 turns (was this morning). So far today it has stopped 5 times, pull out the crown reset the time push crown back in and away it goes. I'm not generally known for having a light touch on anything

4. Canuck Jul 3, 2015

From fully run down, my Speedmaster Professional requires 50+ "twists" of the winding crown to wind the watch fully! It runs just short of two days on a winding. Omega technicians are winding it fully when they are testing it, and I am confident it works the way it should for them. If you are "counting the turns", STOP COUNTING THE TURNS and wind it up TIGHT! I recently had a Hamilton 992B pocket watch brought to me by the owner who has owned it for 25 years. It had commenced stopping on him. I wound it fully and it started as I was winding it. I let the power down handed it back to him, and asked him to wind it TIGHT. He wound it and handed it back, I wound it some more and handed back to him. He wound it a bit more and handed it back. I wound it some more...........and so it went, back and forth, until finally, FINALLY, it was fully wound! I ran the power down again, told him to stop messing around with it and wind it FULLY! Which he did. The watch has been perfect ever since!

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 3, 2015

If you are winding to a definite stop, it sounds like you are winding it all the way. So is it stopping at a particular time on the dial? Is this with the chronograph on, off, or just when you start or stop it? Is this while the watch is being worn, or sitting in a specific position?

The more information you give us, the better we can maybe help figure out what the issue is.

Cheers, Al

ffej4 likes this.
  6. Bubbafw Jul 3, 2015

The 20 turns was a guess as haver counted just goes to a stop, as previously stated when it stops Pull out crown reset time and away it goes. Last time I did this was 3 hours ago (but have done this 5 times today and similar everyday since getting it back 5 days ago) 30 years of swinging off valves on hp steam systems I'm pretty sure I know when something isn't moving anymore without potentially shearing off!!! I've been the guy who's said 'it just came off in my hand chief' So it's going back into an AD I'll wind in front of them and we'll watch it

7. Bubbafw Jul 3, 2015

8. Bubbafw Jul 3, 2015

Should have read have never counted

9. Bubbafw Jul 3, 2015

Al chronograph is off the second hand stops anywhere between 20 and 40 seconds points on its dial

10. Bubbafw Jul 3, 2015

Also it is when worn, 0500 get up watch usually running wind to stop put on wrist, check it 10_15 minites later and it has stopped. As previously stated reset time and it starts go through this process for several hours then it seem to run ok. Getting frustrated if it wasn't a £3.5k watch it'd be having a discussion with a 7lb hammer :)

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 3, 2015

Are any other hands interfering with each other when it stops? So is the minute hand on top of the hour hand when it stops, or is the hour hand on top of any sub-dial hand? Like I said, the more information we have the better. Try taking a picture with your phone each time it stops and see if there is a pattern to it for example...

Cheers, Al

WhiskyVerb, ffej4 and shutterlife like this.
  12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 3, 2015

FYI, ARCHER is our most respected watchmaker on the forum, so he may actually be able to diagnose the issue with photos, etc.

ffej4 likes this.
  13. Carl_Daniels May 28, 2016

Hi guys, found this thread while trying to figure out whats wrong with my own Speedmaster. Have the 38705031 (manual wind, leather strap). Have had same problem as described above with mine ever since new almost. Finally got around to take it to my local Omega dealer. They sent it to Omega in Switzerland for complete service (its about 4 years old), had to pay about 700Eur to get it back. Two days later the problem returns, I get frustrated and try to wind it past what I believe is the stop. Because I've been overly worried about destroying it by "overturning" I used to turn it gently with the outside of my index finger only, until the knob started to slide against my skin and then stopped. Turns out I can continue to wind it for quite some turns until it actually physically stops. Feel like a complete idiot now since I probably paid for service that I actually didnt need.

14. jtroisi Mar 6, 2017

I have just had the same problem. I bought a brand new Speedmaster Professional from an AD and it was not running the next day. i just figured it ran out of power and may not have been fully wound, so I wound it fully. The next morning it was not running again, so I wound it up but noticed I could only wind it 15 half turns. Then I noticed it was 10 mins behind within the hour, but was running. I reset the watch and it was find. This morning I woke up to see that the watch had stopped at 1:12AM as it was running when I went to bed at 10:00PM. I went to wind it up again it it only took 20 half turns. Then about 10 mins later the seconds hand stopped moving so I gave the crown a jiggle forward and it started again and reset it. this was at exactly 6:00AM this morning. By 6:30, it was 2 minutes slow. I'm guessing that it stopped and started again on its own. I have heard from many Speedy owners that their watches take around 40 360 degree revolutions to fully wind. Therefore, this watch has got to be stopping before the power reserve is depleted. This is severely disappinting from a brand new watch that is most tested model of watch on earth and is qualified for NASA astronauts to trust their missions on it's timekeeping. I'm bringing it back to the AD this afternoon. Just ridiculous altogether.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 6, 2017

It's certainly disappointing, but that's what the warranty is for. Keep in mind that AD's can have watches in stock for a long time before they actually get sold, so what model specifically is this, and do you know how new it really is?

16. jtroisi Mar 6, 2017

Its a model 311.30.42.30.01.005. It was a display model. Either way, this is completely unacceptable for a watch at this price point and that has such a reputation for rigorous testing. I'm extremely disappointed right now.

17. lhawli Mar 6, 2017

Sorry to hear that! It sure is not acceptable when paying that much money, but trust me I had similar issues with a Rolex and my dad's PP! Not exactly the same but issues none the less.

As archers mentioned the issue could stem from the AD. It is plausible for a watch to come out of the omega factory running perfectly, but presents issues when sold from an AD. Who knows what t went through - but regardless for us the consumer it is disappointing and dents the brand image.

The warranty should cover it for sure, it's unfortunate but only route I'm afraid. It's a fantastic watch, I've had mine for a year now, goes through jolts when I'm biking and at the gym and believe it or not, it's running more accurate than my SubC. Not trying to rub it in but you will definitely appreciate it once it's back from service and running as it should.

18. jtroisi Mar 6, 2017

Thanks. I'm taking it to the AD this afternoon. It's all over the map. I just reset it again and within 10 mins it was running 5 seconds fast. Also, when I take it off my wrist and hold the bracelet secure and give it a jiggle, there is a lot of rattle noise. Is this normal. I feel like everything is wrong with this watch.

19. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 6, 2017

I'm really sorry to hear of all these issues. This definitely shouldn't happen, you're right––but, sometimes it does, however unlikely. Let us know what your AD says. Hopefully you can get this resolved quickly and painlessly so that you can begin to enjoy your Speedmaster Professional! It's an amazing watch when it functions at its best. :)

20. jtroisi Mar 6, 2017

Thanks, I will let everyone know what happens.